Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 15-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Letter from Gary Miocevich re; a permanent dragstrip in Victoria

An update on progress for a strip of our own in Victoria.
Gary Miocevich is one of the principals of the consortium lobbying the Victorian Govt. for a dedicated strip in Victoria.

Sent: Wednesday, 28 October 2009 12:14 AM
To: adrianmcgrotty
Cc: Thornton ANDRA CEO Tony
Subject: Re: andra drag racing facility

Hi Adrian,

Firstly thanks for your support as we have been suffering from some serious criticism from some Drag Racers which also includes some of our Victorian racers.

Last week I met with the Premier and also with the Minister for Sport and Rec.

I will meeting again with them in the near future.

This is really delicate stuff and unfortunately we can't say much as it gets straight back to those that don't share or ANDRA Drag Racing vision for Melbourne.

Some key points are;
1. It generally takes 5 to 7 seven years from the start of the approach to Government until you race at a venue.

2. I thought my previous experience would see that this time could be halved however the Victorian Government are not willing to just accept the WA and NSW ANDRA venues as being suitable for Victoria and we have had to go through the whole process from scratch.

3. The Victorian Government would not give us a copy Drag Racing Feasibility study as they said it contained some commercially sensitive information and one contributor didn't want us to see that information. While not sure, we believe that Calder Park objected to the reports release to ANDRA. We were so frustrated that we took the matter to the Victorian Ombudsman who directed the department to meet their FOI obligations. We have been informed that the process has now been completed and we should know what and when we should receive the part or all of the study in the next few days. We suspect that it has been with held because it is very positive to our argument.

4. We met with Mr Osler and Sport and Rec Victoria on July 17th 2009 where they advised that they needed to do a further study to define the potential sites more thoroughly to allow the Government to be able to select a site that was really viable for Government. They also wanted to check the operational viability of Drag Racing venues independently of what ANDRA had already provided. This study was to take two months and be finished by the end of September and we asked this direct question at that meeting. We have pursued them continuously from that time however they only awarded that consultancy contract this week. They have told us that tit should be completed by Xmas but that's a tight time frame. We are yet to find out who the consultant is (should know in the next few days) and we have offered a team of people to assist with this work.

5. We are also currently planning a major public rally which will be one of the biggest ever held in Melbourne 20,0000 plus people......you would be impressed when you hear of the corporate people involved....it will be huge. we will announce a date shortly, but keep February free.

In summary we have been working on the Melbourne Project for a little over 3years and we have spent huge sums with our consultants and invested heavily with our expertise. I have had great support from Tony Thornton and the ANDRA team as well as from Perth Motorplex, Western Sydney Int Dragway, Willowbank Raceway and even the former NSW Premier Morris Iemma.

We are making good progress but its hard, hard, hard, and slow, slow, slow..... you get a lesser penalty for murder!

Unfortunately, many in our sport are ignorant of the complexity or dealing with Government and I am tiring of some of our own high profile Drag Racers who I have known for many years that appear to have no idea of the task at hand. Some are even talking of running at Calder Park which would
certainly damage our progress to achieve an ANDRA Championship Drag Racing venue.

There has been no ANDRA Championship Drag Racing in Melbourne since
2001 .... thats 8 years we'll never get back.

We can achieve this goal but we require everyone to support the cause and I ask that you Champion the cause to all people that can help ..... and
alienate those negative destroyers who haven't got a clue of the big picture.

There you go .... you have the latest information as of today. Feel free to spread this info.

Where ever you can please help by being a disciple and pushing the Victorian Government relentlessly .... never back off.

Regards

Gary Miocevich
Project Director
ANDRA
gary@motorplex.com.au

New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Is there a running petition for this?

Bring on a WSID style set-up for the SE side of Melb.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're going to go to all that trouble why not go for a dedicated MOTORSPORT complex that also has a circuit, skid pan, motorcross/supercross track, go karts etc.. It will broaden the appeal x 1000 times over what a strip only will attract...
You can also use the "car control for young drivers" angle which will please the pollies and broader community....

Old 15-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If you're going to go to all that trouble why not go for a dedicated MOTORSPORT complex that also has a circuit, skid pan, motorcross/supercross track, go karts etc.. It will broaden the appeal x 1000 times over what a strip only will attract...
You can also use the "car control for young drivers" angle which will please the pollies and broader community....
There is enough of that at other venues,would love to see just a drag strip,if you combine to many classes of motorsport in one complex it defeats the purpose of building a dedicated drag strip for drag racers.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The public rally is a great idea.

But lessons need to be learned from the experience at Tooradin, where a bunch of numbskulls started doing burnouts after the community meeting and the idea went up in smoke so to speak.

We need to have this being done properly with the message to all to be on their best behaviour. and for week either side. Don't need anyone caught racing on their way home either.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
The public rally is a great idea.

But lessons need to be learned from the experience at Tooradin, where a bunch of numbskulls started doing burnouts after the community meeting and the idea went up in smoke so to speak.

We need to have this being done properly with the message to all to be on their best behaviour. and for week either side. Don't need anyone caught racing on their way home either.
There in-lies the problem...

Bring some mainstream motorsports onboard with it and you suddenly gain broader credibility and social acceptance... and you get some "big names" like Seton, Doohan, Chad Reed etc to give it a profile.
A multi function motorsports complex will appeal to far more people and you can get "road safety" as a political agenda which will make the pollies far more likely to support it because they get votes from "popularity".
Approach it the wrong way and you risk coming across as a bunch of "hoons" and street racers looking for a "free kick"...
Just my thoughts.. it would be nice to see a multi motorsport complex built which caters for drag racing and other forms of motorsport too.
Id be unhappy seeing my taxes spent on just 1 segment of motorsport, im not alone with that either.

Old 15-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
There is enough of that at other venues,would love to see just a drag strip,if you combine to many classes of motorsport in one complex it defeats the purpose of building a dedicated drag strip for drag racers.

Im with 4Vman on this (has been happening too much lately ), The SE sector doesn't have a Drag Facility, Sandown.. give it a few more years will be gone for all but horse racing, and calder the only other circuit/drag facility near the city is also on the chopping block sooner than later.

I say a World Class Drag, Circuit & Drift facility would be excellent, just don't set it up like calder where they run on the same piece of Tarmac.

Hell if they threw some real $$$ at it and Pulled F1 off Melbourne streets to keep the whingers happy, and gave Melbourne a Circuit to be proud of there is 50Mil Annually towards the plan.

Drag racing won't pull in enough revenue day to day, week to week to hold it's head above water, but with driver education and track days through the week, drag racing Friday & Saturday nights and Circuit racing on the weekends, that's a real money maker and best of all gives as all access to a facility we are all dying for Circuit racers & Drag racers alike.
Old 15-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Ihope you guys have more luck there than we are havein here in SA, good luck
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Im with 4Vman on this (has been happening too much lately ), The SE sector doesn't have a Drag Facility, Sandown.. give it a few more years will be gone for all but horse racing, and calder the only other circuit/drag facility near the city is also on the chopping block sooner than later.

I say a World Class Drag, Circuit & Drift facility would be excellent, just don't set it up like calder where they run on the same piece of Tarmac.

Hell if they threw some real $$$ at it and Pulled F1 off Melbourne streets to keep the whingers happy, and gave Melbourne a Circuit to be proud of there is 50Mil Annually towards the plan.

Drag racing won't pull in enough revenue day to day, week to week to hold it's head above water, but with driver education and track days through the week, drag racing Friday & Saturday nights and Circuit racing on the weekends, that's a real money maker and best of all gives as all access to a facility we are all dying for Circuit racers & Drag racers alike.
its all good!

Yep i agree, the revenue a circuit/skidpan would generate 7 days a week 9-5 from corporate and educational activities would be substantial, a strip would only generate interest on weekends.
We need to think with open minds about the bigger picture if you're to be successful with a proposal, make it too one dimensional and its guaranteed to fail, "work" the system and pander to the political side of things and everyone will be happy.
I hazard to guess the reason the SA proposal is drowning is because it is too limited in its appeal... bring in other higher profile categories and show how it can benefit regular people and it has a greater chance of life.

Old 15-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thumbs up

I knew Gary many many years ago, he is a mover and shaker and a good bloke to boot.... He took WA drag racing out of the hands of lets say some unsavory characters (Hoon spectators etc ) and turned it into the profesional
sport it is today that the whole family can enjoy safely. if anybody can do he will onya Gary.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
Ihope you guys have more luck there than we are havein here in SA, good luck
And if we are successful in Victoria.....you can bet that SA will be next :
As Gary has said......never give up!
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This sounds good I wish winton had a drag strip as there is nothing close to albury and we are all going nuts
Old 15-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it would also cost x 1000 times as much and limit the use of a dedicated strip which is whats badly needed down there. I also cant think of any such venues that have a international standard strip.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
it would also cost x 1000 times as much and limit the use of a dedicated strip which is whats badly needed down there. I also cant think of any such venues that have a international standard strip.

Why would it limit the use of the strip, if it was 100% seperate from the circuit?

There are plenty of venues overseas that feature these types of set-ups, why can't victoria be the first to feature it down here?
Old 15-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #15
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I'm confident these guys will succeed in getting a purpose built dragstrip for Melbourne.

The problem for me is how long it will take. I may have to hand my driving license in due to old age before it is built.:

A motor sport complex is not the answer. The success these guys have had in WA and NSW shows the drag race only model works well.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:

If it is done right drag racing can pull in the sufficient funds.You will be suprised how many people will flock there on weekends for street meets and especially sanctioned drag racing meetings.Education track days and circuits will just slow down the process and cost way too much money.
I would rather see a 1st class drag facility than a 1/2 asked combined circuit and drag strip.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
I would rather see a 1st class drag facility than a 1/2 asked combined circuit and drag strip.
100% agree

Need to work the angles too. Get the opposition as well as the government on side. And talk to channel Ten. With melbourne on board yoou could get momentum for a proper national comp, and that will force Adelaide to join in.

Take some of the motorsport monopoly off V8 supercars.

I for one would be willing to buy a season pass, or VIP pass or whatever as they have at the football (Even commit to a 5 year thing like the Medallion club at the dome) Just so I don't have to sit in the dirt with the sun setting in my eyes at calder ever again.

my 2c
Old 15-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #18
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

combined facilities will only work as long as the drag strip is totally seperate from a roundy roundy circuit. Eastern Creek was a perfect example, with the v8 sillycars complaining about lack of grip where the strip and circuit crossed over. As for not enough money with drags by itself? WSID, Willowbank and Kwinana seem to do alright not to mention plenty of regional tracks as well.
Old 16-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #19
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Bring on a WSID style set-up for the SE side of Melb.
The WSID facility is a carbon copy of the Kwinana (WA) facility and was modelled directly off it. I was in the media centre when Jim Read brought some NSW government ministers to Kwinana to show them what they wanted to do in Sydney. Some years later when the Sydney track was built it felt like walking into Kwinana! Almost identical. Makes sense to save money on design etc. when you have a proven design that can be repeated with the benefits of little tweaks from the original design learned along the way to make things better and cheaper.
Old 16-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
combined facilities will only work as long as the drag strip is totally seperate from a roundy roundy circuit. Eastern Creek was a perfect example, with the v8 sillycars complaining about lack of grip where the strip and circuit crossed over. As for not enough money with drags by itself? WSID, Willowbank and Kwinana seem to do alright not to mention plenty of regional tracks as well.
Then the answer seems to be find a location where there is plenty of room to have them separated.

Phillip Island seems to cater to all of these requirements. It may be a little way out but lets face it, you are never going to have a track for a minority in a central location without the majority have a big whinge.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #21
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWildGT
This sounds good I wish winton had a drag strip as there is nothing close to albury and we are all going nuts
There is a 1/8 mile strip nearby.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #22
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
There in-lies the problem...

Bring some mainstream motorsports onboard with it and you suddenly gain broader credibility and social acceptance... and you get some "big names" like Seton, Doohan, Chad Reed etc to give it a profile.
A multi function motorsports complex will appeal to far more people and you can get "road safety" as a political agenda which will make the pollies far more likely to support it because they get votes from "popularity".
Approach it the wrong way and you risk coming across as a bunch of "hoons" and street racers looking for a "free kick"...
Just my thoughts.. it would be nice to see a multi motorsport complex built which caters for drag racing and other forms of motorsport too.
Id be unhappy seeing my taxes spent on just 1 segment of motorsport, im not alone with that either.
I agree and thats the approach the consortium are taking with a multi function motorplex here in Adelaide, and your right about approaching it correctly the goverment her in SA think drag racers are all just a bunch of hoons and its taken a big effort by many people to turn those problems around. Dont make the statement that it will cure the problem , it may help but if become too closely associated with the hoon element it will be at the drag racing communities detriment. Pump the road safety message and those new ads with mick doohan are good maybe a street racing/drag racing type ad would give a great message to car drivers. Driver training is being treated with contempt in SA saying it will give the hoons more skills to break the road laws more, it mite just save some lives though in giving them the skills to cope with an emergency and if they are educted to the risks and penalties then we may just save a few dozen young ones lives every year. The goverment have been drinkin to much murray river water i think.
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post