Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Out of Focus

It is not without some regret that I wish to announce that I am no longer in a Focus. I've been test-driving a few higher powered machines and, much to my surprise, a Skoda Fabia RS hit the sweet spot, particularly price wise. In fact, I don't think you can get a new car with that performance for under $30k on the road, as they can be had for presently.

Loved my Focus, loving (and hoping to continue loving) the Skoda even more.

Been great hanging out with you guys, thanks for all the tips! I'll still be coming around occasionally as my wife has a Fiesta, but I won't be able to give (current) opinions on an LV Focus.

Haven't got any pics of the new ride, as the weather has been average today, but it looks exactly like this one here, even down to the seat colour. http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/det...sort=default"]

Some people don't like the looks, but I'm cool with them - the car as it is doesn't seem to be trying too hard. The high roof makes it surprisingly roomy inside - a classic Tardis - and it seems to be one of these cars that doesn't photograph well, looks kind of awkward.

I surprised a WRX last night, who was probably lulled into thinking a little white "girls' car" could be blown away with no more than half rat-power...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 13-10-2012 at 09:31 PM.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Out of Focus

:'(

Hang around anyway I'm always down for hearing about other cars.

Curious about what you got trade in value on your LV too.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
ConradP

And did you revert back to stock before trading in?
Old 14-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a change-over of $15k. Not great, but the first dealer wanted $18k, as did the second initially. Unfortunately (for me, not the public at large), Ford itself is constricting the used car values by doing the under $20k d/away deals on LW's Ambientes. The car was due for a tune-up, and the day before I did the swap I got the bill for the next year's rego, so I handed that to the dealer to deal with.

All in all, I think I restricted the dealer to making money on only one of the cars, so that's not too bad.

As for reverting to stock, no I didn't. It would have cost more to get the gear off than it would be worth second-hand. I don't think the dealer picked up on more than the sports muffler and the reverse sensors, to be honest, so some lucky owner may get more than they expected (or wanted).

I did manage to swap the K & N filter for the paper original, and I've got the original steelies and tyres (with only 2500km on them), as well as an Apollo CAI filter and canister (minus flexi-tube) and stock sway-bar and links. I'll sell any of this stuff cheap to anyone who wants it just to get it out of my shed, btw.

EDIT: Just remembered, I have the original springs as well, did about 15k on those.

Old 14-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

$15k changeover is not a bad deal going off the Carsales valuations guide The new little beasty must go like a rocket, that would be the same 1.4 TFSI engine used in the VW Polo GTI, very pokey engine and with a tune you could easily add an extra 15 - 20 killerwasps I would imagine

Best of luck with it Tom
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, Russ.

Yep, same engine, and it does go hard.

Old 20-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/ford-focus-2010-13553409?base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=1&eapi=2&__N=12 16+1246+1247+1252+1282+4294966463+4294966417&num=1 5&silo=Stock&items=[BaseEnabledBadge:CL,Series:LV]&sort=Price

The second-most expensive LV CL in Australia.

And after all that trouble I took in hiding the number plate...

Old 20-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Pleased to see you left the fuel tank near empty for them $3K mark up from the trade in price isn't too bad
Old 20-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Pleased to see you left the fuel tank near empty for them
It was a long drive... Yep, needed fuel, a service and renewed rego. I decided that if I was going to trade-in, it would be better before spending on those things...

Old 21-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
ConradP

Wow I wonder what I'd get for trade in on mine then D: That's a really good trade in price!
Old 21-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I wonder if I'd get more for mine being diesel, but unfortunately it seems no one wants manual these days.
Old 21-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Pleased to see you left the fuel tank near empty for them $3K mark up from the trade in price isn't too bad

$3-5K markup is about on the money for most traded vehicles.
There's not a lot in it for the dealer unless there is a finance deal.

1250 kilos and 132 kw 7 speed DSG aint too bad for a little price tag

Old 22-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
$3-5K markup is about on the money for most traded vehicles.
There's not a lot in it for the dealer unless there is a finance deal.

1250 kilos and 132 kw 7 speed DSG aint too bad for a little price tag

In this case of course the dealer that traded it won't have too much to worry about as the car still has new car warranty left anyway
Old 22-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
In this case of course the dealer that traded it won't have too much to worry about as the car still has new car warranty left anyway

Money for jam

Old 22-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Wheres the pics or are they else where? I wanna see
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Wheres the pics or are they else where? I wanna see
He hasn't posted any pics of the actual car I don't think, it's about time by now too If you go to the first post and follow the link it's apparently the same car
Old 23-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, boys. I've had computer troubles. New laptop now, but still not many pics. I took this one on the weekend, but really, I've been too busy breaking her in...

This car has plenty of go, obviously, but what's really amazing me is the gearbox. I know most of you are keen on manuals, and nothing wrong with that, but this thing truly shifts quicker and smarter than I ever could. I've hardly bothered with the paddle shifter or tiptronic, because the DSG is just so tractable and intuitive in full auto.

As an example, it seems almost to to give you exactly the acceleration you want, presumably based on how much throttle input you initially apply. That sounds a bit obvious, but what I mean is that it will hold gear longer when you're "going for it" and shift up quickly, into the economy zone, when you're accelerating like Grandpa. I think there is no way anyone could drive it more economically in manual mode.

The engine revs freely, hitting the high notes far quicker than the Focus would, catching me out in manual mode. If you're just getting up to normal suburban speed, it's the supercharger doing most of the boosting. Take your foot off the throttle (and you need to pull it off well before you hit 50kph to stay legal), and you hear a little whistly whine. Give it a bit more, and you get a satisfying warbly growl. Give it the full monty, and it roars as well as any four cylinder going around. Pick-up in any gear is great, and I've yet to pick up the switch from supercharger to turbocharger, it's that seamless. Actually, they are supposed to overlap a little, and the design is such that there really is no discernible drop (or boost) in power from one to the other.

Don't want to play? No problem, it'll happily roll along like a normal small car in the 'burbs. It's surprisingly roomy inside (high roofline, I guess), just a bit narrower in the back: it would be more of a squeeze for someone sitting on either side of the child seat set in the middle at present compared to the Focus, but probably no worse than a Fiesta.

There's a couple of simple, but well thought out little touches. A little plastic tag inside window against the driver-side A-pillar will hold parking tickets , stop them blowing around when it's windy and so on. There's a little semi-circular band in the boot that will hold a shopping bag still, and stop all your groceries rolling around. Also under the boot there is a full size (steel) spare wheel...

Some reviewers say the ride is a little harsh, but I don't have a problem with it. Given the tyres are 205/40 17 inchers, I expected it to be worse. I'm not sure it's worse than the Focus was on 205/55 16 inch wheels. Though to be fair, that had Eibach lowering springs.

Cons? Not too many so far, all trivial.

Tyre noise is quite loud on coarse chip bitumen, but it may be the Dunlop Sport Maxx's fitted. And again it's no worse than the Focus, which was admittedly rated one of the noisier small cars going around. It doesn't bother me, but it would some people.

Also, I may have just picked up a rattle that will need sorting out. That can happen in any car, though, and sometimes they come and go spontaneously.

It took me a while to work out the bluetooth set-up, because it doesn't have an obvious on-off button, but you have to hold a button down. Not that I use the phone in the car much. Same goes for the radio. Makes sense now I know how it works, which is probably the important thing.

I keep getting "dissed" by other vehicles. I've been in the process of winding it up a couple of times when some f***head has pulled into my lane, thinking his smoking (literally) 4WD can comfortably out-pace a little hatchback.

Overall: A great car for the money. I seem to remember some magazine or other rated it No. 2 bang for your buck car currently available, and the only argument I'd have with that is they rated the Polo GTI No. 1. Not that the Polo isn't good, but in the real world the Fabia RS is not the official $1k cheaper to put on the road, but as much as $5k. And that's a fair amount of bucks in your pocket (though I'll admit the re-sale probably won't be anywhere near as much as the VW).

I shopped his against the Veloster Turbo, and they feel about as quick. The Veloster has a few more features (some of which I probably don't need, such as a sunroof as standard) and is arguably prettier, certainly more eye-catching. But I'm warming to the Fabia's looks and it's practicality, and it certainly doesn't draw too much attention from wannabe racers. Though there was this one Falcon XR6 that went home with its tail between its legs after losing 3-0...

Hmm, I wasn't really intending to do a long review, but I got carried away... I'll get some more and better pics on the weekend for anyone interested.

Last edited by In Focus; 23-10-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 30-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some more pics. Still loving it. Racked up nearly 1300km in the time I would normally do about 700km...

Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Out of Focus

A few more out of Focus pics...

You may now resume normal Focus duties.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
blatchie

I traded my LW sports on a Limited edition XR6.Good move for power however the refinements in the german built car were much better. More power and room is what I went for
Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When you getting the Skoda tuned?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure I will get it tuned, to be honest. I get the impression these motors are fragile, but maybe I spend too much reading stuff on the Interweb... If I did it might be a DSG tune (changes shift points etc) rather than power/torque upgrade. I always prefer doing things that make the car do things more efficiently, or with less stress if you like, rather than adding that stress. Something like an intercooler upgrade, for instance.

Anyway, it goes plenty quick in stock form. It's a real stealth machine, especially as it's an unknown model to most people in Australia.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I dunno, i like it think. I like it because its different.
I reckon, lowered, black wheels and tint would look awesome.
If your after mods, email the boys at AS, they sell bits for VAG cars.
http://www.autospecialists.co.uk/Sko...tegory-91.html
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #24
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All do-able and plausible mods. I actually wanted the black wheels, but as I was going hard on price I had to take what was available in floor stock.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #25
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gun metal grey would be good and it camouflages the brake dust nicely as well

This user likes this post:
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly lowered and darkest legal window tint, go on Tom you know you want to, just do it

or if you're after that full on VAG look you could go this way

Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha ha, I like the subtle one. I'm sure there are some horrific sticker packs that can be added to the P-plate version as well.

This example comes to mind.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #28
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have I got the wrong forum here?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #29
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, the title says it all. But... fair enough. Perhaps a passing moderator can shift this to a more appropriate sub-forum.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #30
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with it here in my opinion, as said the title is self explanatory
This user likes this post: