Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Hummer H2 / H3 Question

Hey Guys.

Fully aware that this is a FORD Forum... but just read something interesting and wanted to hear opinions of ppl around here...

I had a discussion with a good friend of mine about the H2 / H3 Hummers... And he told me that the H2 is only slightly larger than the H3...

I was gobsmacked... so I did a quick google of specifications and dimensions of both cars...

And now - I am stunned... and I don't think this is correct... but i've checked about 5 sites on each car... and the average dimensions of the cars are as follows:

H2:
Length = 4830mm (190 inches)
Width = 2070mm (81 inches)
Height = 2020mm (79 inches)

H3: (like the one that was sold here thru SAAB dealers etc)
Length = 4762mm (187.5 inches)
Width = 2150mm (85 inches) this includes side mirrors... so lets say 80 inches with them folded in... which = 2030mm
Height = 1850mm (73 inches)

So the H3 (the perceived smaller car) is actually all of 6 cm shorter... almost exactly same width (we're talking a cm) but is little shorter...

Not exactly what I was expecting to find... given that the H2 looks MASSIVE on the road, and the H3 looks no larger than a Territory or Captiva...

Now - I know its a pretty boring discussion... but the reason it was brought up was about transporting the vehicle. He has argued with a number of transport companies who do not believe that the H2 is actually that small... And they want to charge him a small fortune to move it.... Yet if it was a H3 - there is a considerable difference in the transport costs...

Just thought it was interesting...
I thought the H2 was WAY WAY bigger than the H3... but it isn't really that different...

Old 31-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why doesn't he just tell them it's an H3.
Old 31-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Cos I think when they collect it - they'll work it out??

But yeah - why not... they are close enough...

I think the major difference must be the weight...
Old 31-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
Classy Redneck

There's a fantastic little Flash page on the Official Hummer website here...

Go to Vehicles>H3>Highlights>Introduction, then click down the bottow 'How Does It Size Up'.

Hope that helps, and trust me, when the two are side-by-side, you notice the size
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Dr. Feelgood
Classy Redneck

Also, Dimensions-wise, those ones you've got are a tad off. Here's the ones you're after

H2:
Length: 5,169mm
Width: 2,062mm
Height: 2,012mm

H3:
Length: 4,778mm, with Rear Tire Carrier
Width: 1,897mm
Height:
2006–2007: 1,872mm
2008–2010: 1,859mm
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

this is with the H3 has those side flares, which makes it wider then it could be, and the H2 has no flares. wheels are inside the body, so that slims it up a bit.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off memory, the H2 is built off the Tahoe platform and the H3 is built off the US Colorado platform, so a big difference in size. Like the difference between a F150 to a Ranger.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

So... what you guys are telling me is that you can't believe everything you read on the internet??? damn it... i've been misguided...

Thanks... that flash animation on the Hummer website is brilliant - and shows me EVERYTHING that I want to know ...

Cheers again FF....
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
roadrage77

Drove an H3 around the States for a few weeks. Not my kind of ride but the thing was surprisingly manouverable for its size.
roadrage77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post