Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Smile Ford NZ changes source of Focus

From car.co.nz

Ford New Zealand announced today that from 2006, all new Focus models available for sale in New Zealand will be sourced from Europe.

Consumers will notice few discernable differences between the current South African models and the European variant, while the current range of powertrain and body styles on offer will remain unchanged.

"Focus is re-establishing itself as one of the world's most popular cars, and is finding particular favour in Southern Hemisphere markets supplied by Ford of South Africa," said Ford New Zealand Focus Brand Manager, Suzanne van Pels.

"Demand for the all new Focus has outstripped supply, and in an effort to assist we have agreed to allocate our volume to Ford Australia and in turn have been able to secure our volume requirement out of Europe," concluded Mrs. van Pels

The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 10:48 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, that would be right! As if you wouldnt give up your South African Focus for the European one! Lets give ours to NZ and other countries so we can get ours from Europe!

Would be good if we could have all the CL and LX Focus sourced from South Africa, and the Zetec and Ghia from Europe... that way we could get the curtain airbags on top models!

Does the South African plant make the Diesel Focus as well?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Means more Focus for us and New Zealand still gets enough also! Shows just how hard Ford is trying to provide enough cars for us here in Oz!!!!
Old 22-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Means more Focus for us and New Zealand still gets enough also! Shows just how hard Ford is trying to provide enough cars for us here in Oz!!!!
Matt

I find that such a cop out statement, if Ford had been genuine they would have made sure they had their supply issues sorted even before they started advertising the new Focus...dont get me wrong I think the new Focus is a winner but this is just a knee jerk reaction by Ford and nothing pro-active.
Old 22-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
Matt

I find that such a cop out statement, if Ford had been genuine they would have made sure they had their supply issues sorted even before they started advertising the new Focus...dont get me wrong I think the new Focus is a winner but this is just a knee jerk reaction by Ford and nothing pro-active.
Umm, didn't they base there supply a little bit more than average LR Focus sales? I can't see a feasible way that Ford could have guaged how sucessful the LS is.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

It was hard for them to gauge the success but measures should have been in place to at least stockpile some vehicles for the initial rush or something - the waiting is costing Ford sales.

Ah well... I guess it comes down to three simple words. Not my problem! :monkes:

Still sucks for people waiting tho.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 12:45 PM   #7
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
It was hard for them to gauge the success but measures should have been in place to at least stockpile some vehicles for the initial rush or something - the waiting is costing Ford sales.

Ah well... I guess it comes down to three simple words. Not my problem! :monkes:

Still sucks for people waiting tho.

Tim
I'm one of them
:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Umm, didn't they base there supply a little bit more than average LR Focus sales? I can't see a feasible way that Ford could have guaged how sucessful the LS is.

I am sure Ford did base their import numbers on the LR Focus sales, but surely they would have had a heads up on the sales that were going to be coming through with the amount of pre-sales interest which I know was huge.

I am not having a shot at Matt, more that Ford is only now doing what they can because those waiting arent happy and they have been caught short.
Old 22-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard that Ford NZ wanted the extra airbags that the euro Focus gets so they can market its 5 star crash rating, its not all just as simple as saying....

"were doing it to help the aussies out" BOLLOCKS !

Anyway great move by Ford NZ, bring it on. Focus Zetec might stack up against the SP23 a little better now.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
I have heard that Ford NZ wanted the extra airbags that the euro Focus gets so they can market its 5 star crash rating
KNEW IT!

I reckon that like i said before, we should get Zetec and Ghia models from Europe! Like that they have curtain airbags on the expensive models..... because the Mazda3 can have them on any model if im not wrong....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 01:06 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Not at all Todd, never meant as a cop-out, in all honest truth it's what I meant, Ford trying to get more anyway possible. It's not my place to comment because I don't know the intricacies, all I know is they're doing all they can to meet demand and never intended to be short on supply.
Old 23-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #12
guym

Zetec you are getting wrong, Ford here is totally focused on the Falson (which I read an article the other day was out sold by the corolla in the last couple of months) and only wants a cheep focus in this market, therefore are happy to source from South Africa. They should have looked into the future and built a local focus based on the Europe version fully optioned up so be sold round this region. Then in time when you can't give a large car away they will still have a production plant in AUS. Therefore we get a lower spec vehicle with faults. Look where the market is going, smaller but far better equiped cars.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 07:40 PM   #13
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From a June Focus article

Quote:
Ford New Zealand sales and marketing manager Graeme Whickman says he'd like to see the car step up to the full safety armoury that buyers in Europe and England enjoy, but cannot say when that might happen.
Quote:
Ford NZ would take curtain airbags "at a heartbeat," he added.
Quote:
A Focus with curtain airbags scored the maximum five stars in a crash test conducted recently by the independent European New Car Assessment Programme.
Quote:
A five-star score is a coveted result, but not one Ford NZ can use to promote the car, Whickman told XtraMSN Motoring. "Until we get those (curtain devices) we cannot present the five-star story."
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

guym looks like you've got it all sorted, you might as well put in you resume for president, you seem to have a full understanding of the market and know everything about it.

Just remember everything you read in articles is totally true and thus you should judge everything about the auto industry not by actually knowing through experience but by what you read, that's all you need.
Old 24-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #15
guym

Zetec, I don't assume to know it all, but lets look at some simple facts, In Europe fuel prices are higher than here and they buy predominantly smaller cars, eg the Focus is the biggest selling vehicle in the UK, Petrol prices here are on the increase, Holden are laying off 1400 employees due to lack of demand and are quoted as saying that the 24 hour production line appear to be a thing of the past, volumes of large cars here have dropped, the world is a changing place and fuel usage is playing a big part of that. People can draw there own conclusion, but just so everyone is clear I believe the day of the big car is slowing. If we can learn from others, and Europe is a good guide as their fuel prices are highers than ours people will want smaller more economical vehicles in the future. After all in the UK last time I asked it cost $110.00 to fill a Focus sized car, now what would that be if it was a Falcon or a Commodore. We can all do the maths.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post