Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-08-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default Darren Best - ST170 racing in Production Cars

Here's some of the latest pics from the PCAA race at Eastern Creek showing Darren Best's awesome ST170!!! Saw a bit of it on TV today... the commentators were pretty off, micing names with cars and not knowing what powered the ST, but it was still good seeing it hooning around being given a very hard time by the Satria GTi (and subsequently being beaten).Well done to Darren though, from what I hear he's on a low budget but his car is always well presented.

Notice the MP3 rims... and the mismatched panels. Must have taken a hit to that door! Might try and catch him somewhere down here if they come.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Some from V8central.com...

Old 01-08-2005, 03:10 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

mmmm interesting, i wonder what he did with his interior.............
Old 01-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
whippet_zetec
Supes

Fast Eddie from these forums spent a bit of time at EC the other weekend and had some pics of that ST with him yesterday at the AFD.

The same cars are racing again later in the year at EC and I think Eddie was going to orgnise a day out for the eurofordclub as there was an invite from Mr Best for us all to get our there and have a look at his RACE ST170.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'll fly up for that!!
Old 01-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Yeah Eddie is full of information, he is good friends with everyone at the tracks.

Apprently the ST170 rims weren't allowing enough air into the brakes, but the MP3 rims do, so that's why he runs them.

Good photos, would be good to meet up with him.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

IM IN!!!!!!! Any chance to see a Focus ST170...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Hey Guys, I thought there might be a thread running on this subject. If not I was going to start one.

FYI Backtothefutura, the interia is pretty standard ST170 except for a Roll Cage and some pretty good looking COBRA Race Seats. It was interesting to see at E.C. that Darren was running opposing tyre manufacturer logo's on his car. Don't know why.

Zetec, the mismatched panels are from an off-track excursion Darren had whilst testing (if memory serves me right) and that a wheel came loose and did some damage.

It's ashame that FORD hasn't/doesn't come on board with a few dollars. There's something for you to chase down! And, I agree that the commentators sometimes get things confused. Maybe we should educate them!!

The next round of the Australian Motor Racing Series (which Darren is entered under in the Australian Production Car Series) is Phillip Is. on the weekend of 20/21 August. Althought entries are always subject to confirmation. Maybe our Victorian members can organise a cruise down there and give Darren and his team our support. It'd be good to see some club stickers on the car! The next N.S.W. Round is at Oran Park on the weekend of 17/18 September. Who's up to going along with me??

I have been corresponding with Darren and his wife, Treena and I am sure he wouldn't mind the presence of a few Euroford Club members. There was a display of roadcars set-up in the paddock at E.C. for another club who were supporting another competitor (also a good mate of mine) and I'd have to see about the possibility of a similar set-up at Oran Park. At least we have a Club Banner now!

Unfortunately, I'll have to do my homework again because I've lost info relating to this with my recent p.c. drama's.

If memory serves me right, Timmeh has been involved with crewing on a raceteam at the Bathurst 24Hr and I have also been Time-Keeper for a friend whose involved in GT-Performance Racing, so it really is a great way of supporting a fellow EUROFORD owner.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Thanks Eddie, good work there mate! I'm definitely interested, however I'm away next weekend on the Saturday and doing the FF Driver training event on the sunday at Calder so I wouldn't be able to meet in Philip Island.

I also have to investigate getting us a banner here, we should have had 2 made up Tim!!! I'm happy to chat about it wrt costing.

As for Ford sponsorship, there's nothing I can do, he has to approach Motorsport himself. I can have a chat to him sometime anyway.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
The next round of the Australian Motor Racing Series (which Darren is entered under in the Australian Production Car Series) is Phillip Is. on the weekend of 20/21 August. Althought entries are always subject to confirmation. Maybe our Victorian members can organise a cruise down there and give Darren and his team our support. It'd be good to see some club stickers on the car! The next N.S.W. Round is at Oran Park on the weekend of 17/18 September. Who's up to going along with me??

I have been corresponding with Darren and his wife, Treena and I am sure he wouldn't mind the presence of a few Euroford Club members. There was a display of roadcars set-up in the paddock at E.C. for another club who were supporting another competitor (also a good mate of mine) and I'd have to see about the possibility of a similar set-up at Oran Park. At least we have a Club Banner now!

Unfortunately, I'll have to do my homework again because I've lost info relating to this with my recent p.c. drama's.

If memory serves me right, Timmeh has been involved with crewing on a raceteam at the Bathurst 24Hr and I have also been Time-Keeper for a friend whose involved in GT-Performance Racing, so it really is a great way of supporting a fellow EUROFORD owner.
Count me in, I'm up for that. I'd be in for putting a small display up with some of our Eurofords with the club banner while we learn about Darrens racing efforts!

:eclipsee_

Also, when we went up to the Bathurst 24Hr it was in support of Team GT, who were running their TS50 and GT. That was a great weekend of fun - despite the constant 4 days of solid rain!

Tim
Old 09-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

if I am free I will do the trek to Oran Park......obviously will have to check with the social director (wife)
Old 11-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #12
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Latests news from Darren & Treena (his Wife) is that he's not 100% guaranteed to enter the Philip Island Round BUT is working hard to prepare the car. So any of our EUROFORD Club members considering making the trek to P.I. to support him might have to look at the website www.pcaa.com.au to see if Darren's ST170 is entered.

The ST170 will definitely be here in N.S.W. for Oran Park (Sept) and the later rounds at Wakefield Park (Nov) & Eastern Creek (Dec).

Fast Eddie.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM   #13
whippet_zetec
Supes

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=17613
Old 14-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #14
bestracing

Default Update on Best Racing ST170

Hello EUROFORD Club members,

I thought it was about time I got on the thread and answered some of your questions.

Well as Eddie has already stated it looks like I will definately NOT be going to the Phillip Island round, due to parts not arriving. The team & I are very dissappointed & it looks like we will blow our chances of finishing in the top 3 in class. It has been an up and down championship for us, but each time something happens we learn more about the car.

I use the MP3 rims as they allow more air flow through to the brakes, despite them being heavier rims.

As for the mismatched door colour, this was the result of an incident with an XR6 at Winton Raceway (2004). The new door was painted in Melbourne with the car still at home in the garage in Benalla getting work done.

Bridgestone Benalla have been a long term sponsor, Yokohama are our control tyre.

I have had long discussions with Ford and promises made but nothing eventuated.

We are very keen to have you all at our next round Oran Park (Sept 17/18), the more Focus's the better!

My wife Treena is finding out the details from the AMRS, we are waiting for additional information. Once we know more Treena will let Eddie know whats going on.

Regards Darren Best
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 10:21 PM   #15
bestracing

Default ST170 photos

Sorry everyone, for whatever reason the 3 photo's I attempted to put on won't download.

Regards Darren Best

Last edited by bestracing; 14-08-2005 at 11:05 PM. Reason: photos missing
bestracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #16
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Thanks for the update and talking to us, Darren, I know alot of us are looking forward to meeting you and the St in Sydney soon! We'll wait to hear from Eddie on how you're going, you're always welcome to post on the forums also!

I can't wait to talk to you about the ST and your racing efforts, all the best with getting the car ready for the next event.

Tim
Old 11-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #17
Stampy

well only 1 week till sydney round ,does anyone know about any t.v coverage
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Stampy,

F.Y.I. the Upcoming Oran Park Round7 will be televised on consecutive weekends of the 2nd and 9th of October on SBS's SPEEDWEEK Programme* commencing 12 Noon.

The Euroford Club will be present at Oran Park in support of fellow Focus ST170 Driver, Darren Best who competes in the Australian Production Car Championship.

*Source SBS Speedweek Website.

You'd best double check it though just in case the programming changes.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #19
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

For all who want to come with us to see Darren racing:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20223

Tim
Old 19-09-2005, 11:24 AM   #20
whippet_zetec
Supes

for the full review of the event follow this link:

http://www.eurofordclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50
Old 20-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #21
Stampy

whats with the log in can you post it here
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #22
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

They are the club events and reviews, anyone can register on the club site. There's too much written to be all copied and pasted here, you'll find alot of the club stuff is on our site.

Tim

Last edited by Timmeh; 20-09-2005 at 11:54 PM.