Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
Stampy

Exclamation New to Focus ST170

I posted this in the wrong section ,ill try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
NEW TO FOCUS NOT NEW TO FORD

Ive now got my self a Focus ST170 ,i picked it up cheap from Canberra Toyota (they are hopeless : ) the air intake is modded to a k&n but who ever done it took out all the original stuff and all the filter does now is suck in hot air : ,so i got to work on this first ,if any one has a good idea please let me know .
Canberra Toyota done a ty job buffing the car and left lots of swell marks all over the car : ,they didn't even put any polish on it so ive got me a big job to do this weekend with the clay and the polish ,not forgetting the wash after the drive from canberra to the gold coast .
Toyota got the car originally from sydney ,so if anyone knows the old owner please ask them if i can have the air induction back. LOL
If i have any problems as a new focus owner id like to post them here to get your advise ,ill post pic when ive polished up the new my new carthat has done 20,000 klm and was first put on the road 6/03 . :

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
lincoln
Blinded

Congrats Stampy!
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Stampy

Default Pictures

Old 03-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Congrats mate! Thems two very sweet rides you got there . I have already told you all about what I did with my typhoon intake in the other thread, but I will add this - FOR GODS SAKE DON'T GO BACK TO THE STOCK SYSTEM!

All you need is a snorkel. I also believe the heat shield is a must but that will depend how serious you are about excluding hot air completely. I just looked on ebay and you can get an SVT snorkel (US version of ST170) for about $40 Aus. + postage. You could get one from Ford of course, if you don't mind paying the extortionate price.

I notice from the power your AU is putting down that you are quite partial to modding your cars. Good, because if you really want to enjoy your ST, you will need more performance.

Now the ST170 was never meant to be a drag car and if you want to go fast in a straight line, jump in the XR. If you want to have fun on the twisty back roads, then the focus is the weapon of choice.

However, in standard trim the ST170 falls short of the ‘hot hatch’ performance promised. 'Luke warm' would be more apt. It simply does not have the engine to match the extraordinary chassis. And it isn’t just me either - EVERY road test I have read on the ST170 says the same thing. Handling is "sublime", "superb", "exceptional" ...but …the engine disappoints. Anyone who denies that their ST is lacking in the engine department, isn’t being honest with themselves. It took only one week for me to realise that the motoring journo’s were spot on. Anyway my point is…..MODS!

Well I’m a grand out of pocket, but it was worth every cent! I used to like my car when it was stock, now with the mods, I’m damn near obsessed with the thing.

If you have any Q’s regarding mods, feel free to PM me, and again congrats on your purchase. ;)
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Stampy

Thank you ORSEST170 , I think i will go the way of a new snorkel ,that one on ebay is the go,im trying ford to see the price as i need one as quick as possible,it's hot in QLD already ,it might of been alright in canberra but here it's no good at all ,I need air .
Im not rushing on the engine Mods juust need to fix this problem first ,then i want a set of those euro looking triple front lights .
Old 03-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
Mick K.

I was recently quoted around $180 by Torque Ford in Brisbane for the ST snorkel. The one on EBay looks pretty good and you should be able to buy it and sort out shipping for less than 1/2 that price I reckon.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

then i want a set of those euro looking triple front lights .[/QUOTE]

Don't we all...they are awesome. There are a few brands available.

Here's a link to a page full of aftermarket lights.

http://www.fffocus.freeuk.com/lights.html

People in Oz seem to go for the Morette triples but I prefer the Hella magic module triple projectors coz they have a slightly more aggressive look. There is also a guy on the Euroford site who has an awesome set of aftermarket headlights (come to think of it, his entire car is incredible) but he doesn't say which brand they are.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
I was recently quoted around $180 by Torque Ford in Brisbane for the ST snorkel. The one on EBay looks pretty good and you should be able to buy it and sort out shipping for less than 1/2 that price I reckon.

MK

wow that much
Old 03-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
Stampy

Don't we all...they are awesome. There are a few brands available.

Here's a link to a page full of aftermarket lights.

http://www.fffocus.freeuk.com/lights.html

:

nice site ,but do you know of any in OZ the only one i found has front lights for 1000 but no rears.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 PM   #10
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Now why does that car look familiar

I know i have seen it somewhere around before

Chris
Old 04-09-2005, 01:46 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It's the rims... wasn't someone on focusfanatics with that car? I thought it was from Brisbane
Old 04-09-2005, 02:49 AM   #12
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:

nice site ,but do you know of any in OZ the only one i found has front lights for 1000 but no rears.

Unfortunately no. Don't think there is a lot available in Oz. They do come up occasionally on ebay through an Oz seller though. There is no end of lights available from international sellers but after my recent experience, I'm not sure I would recommend going down that path. I purchased a set of the Ultra Mk II Black tails from a German seller a few months back and apparently "they got lost in dispatch". I am still waitng for my refund :

I think a local Hella distributor would be able to organise a set of front and rear lights for ya if that’s what you want. I would love both the Hella fronts and tails but they are just too expensive. Incidentally, were those lights you saw for a grand, the Hella triple projectors?
Old 04-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #13
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Oh and here's a link to that car I was talkin about earlier.

http://www.eurofordclub.com/php/deta...p?m=in%20focus

Damn that thing is sweet
Old 04-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #14
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsest170
Unfortunately no. Don't think there is a lot available in Oz.

That Foci you linked to, they Guy (Marcus) sells Foci parts through his website...: http://www.infocusmotorsport.com.au/

he has the Morette triple lights on there
Old 04-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #15
Mick K.

Quote:
Thank you ORSEST170 , I think i will go the way of a new snorkel ,that one on ebay is the go,im trying ford to see the price as i need one as quick as possible,it's hot in QLD already ,it might of been alright in canberra but here it's no good at all ,I need air .
Im not rushing on the engine Mods juust need to fix this problem first ,then i want a set of those euro looking triple front lights .
These ST snorkels offer a good deal more air to the filter than the standard snorkel on other Focus models too. They say that this plus a better filter or pod and the auto air deflector together provide the best breathing for the Focus and increase the benefits of any exhaust mods.

I'm going to get one for my Zetec. Perhaps by getting a few people (maybe just in the South East Qld area) who are keen on getting one of these would get a discount or reduced postage costs? Is there a group buy procedure for these forums?

Anyone else keen??

Non ST drivers, see this link from the UK forums for the fitting procedure. http://www.ffoc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49410

Wonder if the US EBay supplier also has cheap airboxes to suit this snorkel?

MK
Old 04-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Didnt someone already price up that hose? I think it was some ridiculously expensive amount.
Old 04-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #17
Stampy

here is the link to Ebay item freight to OZ is $27USD it does say buy more to save on freight

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...spagenameZWDVW

i have no choice ,i got to get one so how many should i purchase?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #18
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Didnt someone already price up that hose? I think it was some ridiculously expensive amount.
That's the point of this exercise! :

Ford here want to charge about $180 and these ones can be landed here for about AUS$74 (with the current flood ravaged $US).

Here is an EBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...temZ7994066522

You know you need one!

MK
Old 05-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #19
Stampy

well what about this for an idea (i don't know how to use image programs so just get the idea)
Old 05-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive thought of a similar thing but its just too cramped in there. Youd only be able to get a very, very small pipe through there.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #21
Stampy

It only seems to get tight going past the battery ,but if i remove the cover it may be ok the only thing is that i could only fit a 50mm pipe ,but at this time any air is good air.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #22
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Yep thought long and hard about doing exactly the same thing myself but it looked like a lotta work. In the bottom corner (where you have indicated on the photo), between the grille and the radiator there is a plastic structure that will have to be cut (coz it looks like the only feasible spot to gain access to the grille).

I think you will also have to cut a section of the top left corner of the battery housing out. Also that metal support structure behind the battery would need cutting to get a decent diameter pipe through there. I'd be very keen to know how you go if you do actually attempt this - keep us posted.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #23
Mick K.

I've discussed a similar thing with some friends of mine who say to watch out for water getting sucked into low mounted air intakes - apparently this type of water ingestion is not good for the engine ;)

MK
Old 05-09-2005, 09:59 PM   #24
Stampy

Thats a good point, but i look at it this way (let me know your thoughts) following a car in the rain ,heaps of spray off the cars infront ,why is that not an issue , .The low down tube im thinking of will go up at a 45 deg angle so in my mine less likely to have water travel the distance to the filter.I do belive dust would be higher problem than the water,
Old 05-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #25
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
I've discussed a similar thing with some friends of mine who say to watch out for water getting sucked into low mounted air intakes - apparently this type of water ingestion is not good for the engine ;)

MK
Absolutely. It's called hydrolock and is a big risk when running a CAI where the pod sits low to the ground. However I'm (and I assume Stampy is the same) only looking to get cool air to blow in the near vicinity of the pod filter (the typhoon will then suck this air in). So technically the induction tube from the grille would not be sucking in air, rather the air is being forced in as the car moves forward. I guess it is possible that some water may still reach the pod this way, but I doubt it is a serious threat.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 PM   #26
Mick K.

Hmmm - hydrolock - I see!

Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #27
Stampy

this is the Ebay link to the pipe i was thinking of using
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HI001-TURBO-C...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #28
Stampy

Mick k look how high my filter is

Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #29
Mick K.

Yep - as Orest170 said - this won't be an issue for you - unless you joined your pipe right onto your engine.

(I just hadn't heard the term "hydrolock" before or seen a picture of the results!)

MK
Old 06-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #30
Stampy

i tryed to find some intake tubing today ,i went to 4 shops no luck at all looks like i got to get it from Ebay ,i hate paying the riddulas freight costs they want !