Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-09-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Queries.....

On an 03 Focus, does the front passenger side exterior door handle have a keyhole? Mine is an 02 model and it does, and Id like to make it so only the drivers door has one. Ideally Id like to remove both of them but I think its illegal.

On Ghias (I know not many of us have experience with these but I thought Id ask), is the auto shifter leather? Im talking LR model here, not the new LS.

Also, are Ghia interior door handles able to purchase seperate from the doortrims? Im gonna find out but I thought I would ask in case somebody had done it before.

TIA for all yer help :

Old 17-09-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I have a 2003 focus. Has a key hole on both passenger and driver door. I have just bought a pair of back door bezels. Was quoted something outrageous by the dealer (but he probably quoted the whole door handle) but picked up a pair from the UK for about $20 all up including postage (I can give you the website if you need it...I've got it somewhere)

My understanding is that it is illegal to remove the door handles, but not to cover the key hole. Have a look in the street, there are lots of production cars with no visible door locks.

As for the Ghia, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you'll find you can get the handle assembly. Interested to find out the cost myself
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Cheers mate, when you say you bought the bezel, which bit are you talking about?
Old 17-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
dazza_1011

i am pretty sure that it is perfectly legal to remove door handles completely. as long as there is a way of opening the door. a freind has shaved his ute handles and made it that he just has keyless entry and a little push down knob near the window to open it.
dazza_1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
whippet_zetec
Supes

2003 Zetec here......key holes in both door handles.
Old 17-09-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza_1011
i am pretty sure that it is perfectly legal to remove door handles completely. as long as there is a way of opening the door. a freind has shaved his ute handles and made it that he just has keyless entry and a little push down knob near the window to open it.
I remember Falkeens ute project where they found removing the door handles completely was not viable for a number of reasons, mainly:-

* legality
* practicality (what if the remote fails and you cant get in etc)
* security

I dont wanna remove the handles completely (got an idea lined up for them), but I would like to remove the door locks if possible. Maybe leave one on the drivers door but thats all.
Old 17-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
tabaccs

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I remember Falkeens ute project where they found removing the door handles completely was not viable for a number of reasons, mainly:-

* legality
* practicality (what if the remote fails and you cant get in etc)
* security

I dont wanna remove the handles completely (got an idea lined up for them), but I would like to remove the door locks if possible. Maybe leave one on the drivers door but thats all.
Mate not meaning to be a stooge, but can i ask why u plan to do this??? i dont think it would really make much of a difference to the look of the car lol... just was curious.

cheers adam

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2005, 10:44 PM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Now i think about it, i had an 04 SR and the dealer never gave me the key with the remote, and I think it only had a keyhole on the drivers side...

But im not 100% postive, they also give me BAs all the time without remotes so I maybe incorrect.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 12:43 AM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabaccs
Mate not meaning to be a stooge, but can i ask why u plan to do this??? i dont think it would really make much of a difference to the look of the car lol... just was curious.

cheers adam
Delocking is possibly one of the most common mods on a Ford Focus..Here is one of numerous "How to's " on the web

http://torquesteer.co.uk/store/brows...e2f3bc947c3411
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabaccs

cheers adam
you'll see........
Old 18-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
tabaccs

haha kewl, i'll b lookin forward to see some pics mate..

Old 19-09-2005, 01:33 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The pasenger side lock was removed in an update early in 2004 from memory. It was when I was a salesman.

Ghias do not have leather shifters, just chrome buttons.
Old 19-09-2005, 02:12 AM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks Matt. So I'd be looking for on 04 onwards passenger door handle in that case.

Bugger about the shifter but I may have something I can try......
Old 19-09-2005, 06:38 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You may also be able to buy a Mazda Tribute passenger handle, they are identical parts, not sure if they're de-locked or not though.

Strange but true...
Old 19-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I cant see what different it would make...

Id like to get some Chrome door handles tho for the LS..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah it's not just the door handles Im changing - Im adding colour to some things so I thought Id try and go for the clean look with the handles as well, hence why I'm asking about ones with no locks in them.
Old 20-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I even have door locks in mine

Cant ever remember when i have actually used them though

Chris
Old 25-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #18
Stampy

well can some one help In the ST170 the electric windows dont work at all once the ignition is turned off is it possible to make them have a power delay so they can be closed after you turn off the car????
and can the seatbelt beeeeeeeeeppppp be turned off ????
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 11:28 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
and can the seatbelt beeeeeeeeeppppp be turned off ????
Been hunting for a way to do that too, but the only methods Ive been able to find apply to US or UK spec and thus do not work on our models bugger it.
Believe me, Im trying!
Old 26-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

That's a No on 2 counts, unless you want to go down the more expensive aftermarket avenue... anything's possible aftermarket.
Old 26-09-2005, 01:00 AM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
That's a No on 2 counts, unless you want to go down the more expensive aftermarket avenue... anything's possible aftermarket.
this may very well be the ramblings of a tired man but the way i work it out is that there has to be something in the seatbelt clipper-into-thingy that can tell if its plugged in or not, then it sends that info back to somewhere and tells the beeper to shut up.

God i just read that and I think I am tireder than I thought : : .
Old 26-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #22
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I work for a company that supplies Ford with Falcon seats...I know a fair bit about pretensoners, there is a wire in there that signals if the belt is clicked in or not. Simply cut the right wire and you should be fine...lol...but i don't recommend anyone does it...remember safety first. You don't want the pretensoner blowing up on you (which i have had done before)
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #23
BlackLS

Where does the tone come from? perhaps there is a way to disable the speaker, or at least quieten it with masking tape or bluetac
Old 26-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #24
tabaccs

was just about tho ask that same question ^^^^

if we knew where the tone came from maybe could just but out the speaker...

anyone have any ideas, cos it is quite anoying

Old 26-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
As I work for a company that supplies Ford with Falcon seats...I know a fair bit about pretensoners, there is a wire in there that signals if the belt is clicked in or not. Simply cut the right wire and you should be fine...lol...but i don't recommend anyone does it...remember safety first. You don't want the pretensoner blowing up on you (which i have had done before)
Why would the pretensioner have anything to do with this though? All it is is a reminder to put your seatbelt on (German people must be stupid).
Old 26-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #26
Stampy

It's funny that the BA beeps can be turned off , so why not a Focus the euro's can't be that mean ,someone must know what sequence to use to disable the Nice sound i here every day
Old 26-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #27
Stampy

Found this but it don't work on mine

How To Do It!
Time Required:
5 minutes
Tools Needed:

Hands
Keys
Lots of patience
Procedure:

The Belt Minder is the electronic warning system to remind you to use your safety belt system. It's a combination of a sounding chime and the illuminating warning light on your instrument panel. By default, the Belt Minder is active. When active, if the driver's safety belt is not buckled in about 5 seconds from the time the warning light has turned off, the warning light will again illuminate and the alarm chime will sound for 6 seconds, repeating itself every 30 seconds for the next 5 minutes, or until you buckle your seat belt.
You can De-Activate the Belt Minder two ways. First, you can deactivate it temporarily for your current "run cycle", that is after you have started your car and it's still running. Second, you completely deactivate the Belt Minder so that it never reminds you again, or at least until your reactivate it...

The first method, temporary deactivation, or one time disable: After you have started your vehicle, buckle and then un-buckle your safety belt. Be sure to buckle back up.... This will disable the Belt Minder only for that ignition cycle.

The second method, permanent deactivation: Before starting, make sure that:

The partking brake is set.
The car is in Park(automatic), Neutral(manual).
The ignition is OFF.
All doors are closed.
The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
The parking and headlights are OFF.

1) Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
2) Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!
3) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
4) Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
5) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.
6) Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt. This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.
Old 26-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Doesnt work.
Old 26-09-2005, 11:08 PM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

That's the well known US method for Seppo Foci..... not for the better Euro Foci unfortunately.

simple solution, put on your seatbelt first. Does 5 beeps really ruin your enjoyment of this great little car?!?!!
Old 27-09-2005, 12:07 AM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Does 5 beeps really ruin your enjoyment of this great little car?!?!!
YES! :