Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Data Recovery

Someone recently started a thread here in the bar (I think) advertising their data recovery services. I've done a search but I cant find it, I suspect it was deleted by moderators for the fact that it was advertising.

Anyway, I have some data I'd like recovered from a dead HD, so if that person could contact me, or if anyone can remember who it was and point me in their direction, it would be much appreciated.

tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Any reputable computer shop should be able to do this for you.

How badly do you need the data? It can cost upwards of a $100 per hour depending on how damaged / deleted it is.

There are a lot of free data recovery tools around if you are computer savey ;)
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Depends whats worng with the HDD.. If they can't get it to spin then it will have to go to a professional company that can make it work. Most computer shops cant do this, they can recover deleted files on a working hdd tho.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I know, the drive is quite dead and far beyond any software based recovery. I've been quoted several thousands of dollars. The data is definitely not worth that much, but I would like a few files in particular back.

There was a guy on here who started a thread just a few days ago advertising this service, and he mentioned replacing components so I think theres a chance he'll be able to do the job. I didn't contact him immediately becuase I wasn't sure if I still had the old drive.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have a few contacts from QUT that I could ask for you if you'd like.

They primarily work in forensics but I'm sure they'd know who to talk to.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
XRSEX
More money would be great

Depends how dead it is.

Plus ig in via a USB caddie and see what happens. Go into mycomputer > manage and then disc management and it's more than likely poked if it asks you to initialise the disc.

Forensic data recovery is $750 upwards.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Someone recently started a thread here in the bar (I think) advertising their data recovery services. I've done a search but I cant find it, I suspect it was deleted by moderators for the fact that it was advertising.

Anyway, I have some data I'd like recovered from a dead HD, so if that person could contact me, or if anyone can remember who it was and point me in their direction, it would be much appreciated.
Hey bud,

I recently used AVG Live Recovery CD to restore an entire drive that had a corrupted master boot record and failed sectors. The drive was pretty cactus...couldn't be read by Windows or Linux, couldn't be accessed by internal connector.

Have you tried connected it internally? If you can get it to spin up, you should be able to use the AVG software to restore your files. If you are able to download it, ill happily provide some guidance about how to go about recovering it.

Cheers
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Have used PAYAM Data Recovery Pty Ltd before... to recover from a dead drive....
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
BLU XR

Also used payam in melbourne,not cheap but if you want to recover it these guys are good.they also check if its worth doing then give you a price.
BLU XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #10
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Complete computer luddite here . My neice ran past my laptop a short while ago ripping an external HD out of the USB port it was plugged into . Now it spins up but thats all , is that data recoverable economically ?
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
silicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Complete computer luddite here . My neice ran past my laptop a short while ago ripping an external HD out of the USB port it was plugged into . Now it spins up but thats all , is that data recoverable economically ?
Should be pretty easy at home. It is when they don't spin up that it gets yucky.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
seduced_xr
BF XR6

worked in IT for 18 months, if you cant get it to spin you may aswell throw it out or bend over.

we actually had success once putting a hard drive in a anti static bag in a freezer over night. in 18 months ive seen it work 4 times. i dont know why. but that was our last shot before we binned them
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #13
NC_Lane
NC Fairlane Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduced_xr
worked in IT for 18 months, if you cant get it to spin you may aswell throw it out or bend over.

we actually had success once putting a hard drive in a anti static bag in a freezer over night. in 18 months ive seen it work 4 times. i dont know why. but that was our last shot before we binned them
On most occations, the platters are not affected. They just wont spin up. Lots of recovery places, then swap the platers over to a different drive to recover the data..
-AU Falcon Wagon 4.0L Still Stock
-80 Series LandCruiser 4.5 LPG
NC_Lane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Same thing happened to a client of mine. They had a 400GB harddrive full of music and photos. A message came up when they plugged the drive into their computer 'fixing broken sectors'. Thinking it was formatting their drive, she has pulled the drive out during the process, and effectively corrupted the master boot record and screwed some sectors.

I used AVG Live Recovery CD to recover close to 100% of data.

I'm confident you could use this method.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #15
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankyou all for the advice I will attempt to recover this weekend and let you all know how it goes .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #16
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've used "technetics data recovery" service before. You send them the drive, they recover the data and send you back a DVD.

1300 853 453 or www.techneticsdata.com.au
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
silicon

I have had success with one with a hair dryer as well. It didn't like cold starts and I left it a little long to take the data off. I had it bordering on hot and it finally spun up once more.
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized

oes the drive post when the computer boots ?
no ?
then does it spin ?
no >porked can be done but you need to be rich
spins up ?
try bagging it in the freezer for an hour it might start once because it

needs a card from an identical drive swapped in so it postsd in bios
good luck> not rocket science but is time consuming
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I'll probably have another crack at getting this data sometime soon. Freezer idea could be a goer.

Cheers