Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
wayne2208
Starter Motor

Default thumping to first gear? Has anyone in Victoria solved this problem?

The same as many other Focus, mine 07 Focus has simolar problem since it was new (thumping from 2nd to 1st gear when slowing down to a full stop)..
I just read some posts that the PCU (power control unit) update service can solve this problem......dropped my Focus to my deal yesterday; however, they still can't detect any problem. They told me all my program is the newest version and o need to be updated...really disappointed....... : ....

Anyone in Vic has solved this annoying problem?? It would be great if you can share with me that which dealer could fix it...... appreciate ur help..
thanks in advance~~~

Last edited by wayne2208; 26-11-2009 at 09:10 PM.
wayne2208 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne2208

I just read some posts that the PCU (power control unit) update service can solve this problem......dropped my Focus to my deal yesterday; however, they still can't detect any problem. They told me all my program is the newest version and o need to be updated...really disappointed....... : ....
I got the exact same story from Strapp Ford. Also looking for a fix as it does get annoying.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
wayne2208
Starter Motor

A gentleman from this forum told me his dealer can fix this problem, but it is located in north NSW (Victory Ford in Tweed Heads).....I don't want to drive 4000km to fix this problem................
There must be some dealers in Vic who can fix it.......hopefully :
Old 27-11-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

if one dealer can do it, im sure every other dealer can, or know of. it's not like it's a big secret is it?
Old 27-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne2208

A gentleman from this forum told me his dealer can fix this problem, but it is located in north NSW (Victory Ford in Tweed Heads).....I don't want to drive 4000km to fix this problem................
There must be some dealers in Vic who can fix it.......hopefully :
What was the fix?
Old 27-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
wayne2208
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
What was the fix?
PCU update?
Old 27-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
focus181
Starter Motor

Yep, PCU (Powertrain Control Unit) update, performed as part of a normal service (apparently dealers check for computer updates as part of the service)
This update fixed our thumping problem we'd been fighting to get fixed by the dealer here in Brizzy (as well as Ford themselves) for 16months..!!
focus181 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus181

Yep, PCU (Powertrain Control Unit) update, performed as part of a normal service (apparently dealers check for computer updates as part of the service)
This update fixed our thumping problem we'd been fighting to get fixed by the dealer here in Brizzy (as well as Ford themselves) for 16months..!!
Didn't work on our LT. Was at Strapp Ford Doncaster recently for some warranty work. Got them to check the ECU update version but the car already had the latest one. Do you have any info about the update that fixed your problem?

EDIT: Hang on, are ECU updates the same as PCU updates?
Old 29-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
focus181
Starter Motor

Quote:
Didn't work on our LT. Was at Strapp Ford Doncaster recently for some warranty work. Got them to check the ECU update version but the car already had the latest one. Do you have any info about the update that fixed your problem?

EDIT: Hang on, are ECU updates the same as PCU updates?

When I dropped the car in for the normal 15k service I had a printed copy of the thread below, and particularly mentioned checking for any updates for the computer. My request was added as an extra task on the job sheet. Printout I had mentioned PCU update.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11266604

When I picked the car up hours later, they verbally said a computer update had been applied, and looking on the Invoice it says (in part) "Checked factory computer for outstanding campaigns or recalls"
and further down the page " check & perform latest calibration top ctm"

"top ctm" - I've got no idea what that is....could even be a typing error - all I know is whatever the update was, it fixed our thumping problem. I could tell at the first set of traffic lights after leaving the dealership.

PS - compliments of Google :

The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) or Electronic Control Module
(ECM) and sometimes also know as the automobile's ‘Fuel Computer’
or ‘Brain Box’, is an electronic computer that regulates the amount of
fuel that your vehicle's injectors release into the intake manifold.

PCU Power Control Unit: This is the electronics unit located below the rear cargo area floor that deals with converting high voltage power from one form to another, as required. The MDM, Heat Sink and DC-DC Converter are collectively known as the Power Control Unit.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus181

When I dropped the car in for the normal 15k service I had a printed copy of the thread below, and particularly mentioned checking for any updates for the computer. My request was added as an extra task on the job sheet. Printout I had mentioned PCU update.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11266604

When I picked the car up hours later, they verbally said a computer update had been applied, and looking on the Invoice it says (in part) "Checked factory computer for outstanding campaigns or recalls"
and further down the page " check & perform latest calibration top ctm"

"top ctm" - I've got no idea what that is....could even be a typing error - all I know is whatever the update was, it fixed our thumping problem. I could tell at the first set of traffic lights after leaving the dealership.
Thanks for the info mate. Will have to check with Ford if ECU updates are different to PCU updates.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #11
20focus05
I wanna XR5

PCU also means the Powertrain Control Unit, i.e is the controller for the Auto Trans

Just a bit of useless info, lol

CTM Control Transmission Module ???
or ctm could be short hand for "control module"

The funny thing is Mazda use the same trans in its 323,626,3,6 and we see trans problems with them all the time, but not with the Ford unit???

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*

Last edited by 20focus05; 03-12-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: more info
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05

PCU also means the Powertrain Control Unit, i.e is the controller for the Auto Trans

Just a bit of useless info, lol

CTM Control Transmission Module ???
or ctm could be short hand for "control module"

The funny thing is Mazda use the same trans in its 323,626,3,6 and we see trans problems with them all the time, but not with the Ford unit???
So it looks like when Ford does an ECU update they may not be doing a PCU update as they are 2 separate things?

Need to check this with the local Strapp Ford dealership when i have the time
Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
fishontherun
Starter Motor

hi guys I was the author of that thread link posted above re. this problem. Just wanted to give u an update: they fixed the thumping problem on deceleration by updating PCU, however the acceleration side is now sluggish. My theory is that because the shifting mechanism is crap, therefore they change the timing of shifting from 2nd to 1st to happen at around 20 km/h. That will eliminate any gearing change when u 're slowing to a full stop. However when u rev up your car at 20km/h, it takes few second for the 2nd gear to kick in from 1st, and it thumps. So yeah, unless they change the whole gear box, I doubt they can fix the problem. To my conclusion: will get rid of the car once warranty runs out, if not sooner.
fishontherun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishontherun

hi guys I was the author of that thread link posted above re. this problem. Just wanted to give u an update: they fixed the thumping problem on deceleration by updating PCU, however the acceleration side is now sluggish. My theory is that because the shifting mechanism is crap, therefore they change the timing of shifting from 2nd to 1st to happen at around 20 km/h. That will eliminate any gearing change when u 're slowing to a full stop. However when u rev up your car at 20km/h, it takes few second for the 2nd gear to kick in from 1st, and it thumps. So yeah, unless they change the whole gear box, I doubt they can fix the problem. To my conclusion: will get rid of the car once warranty runs out, if not sooner.
That's some interesting info. Do you know if the 2nd to 1st downshift has to be at 20km/h or can it set to something else? Also is the 1st to 2nd upshift thump really that bad/noticeable? Did you disconnect/reconnect your battery for a while to force the ECU to relearn your driving style?
Old 14-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #15
fishontherun
Starter Motor

hi mohit,
the 1st to 2nd upshift is very noticeable... like one that first learn driving manual would do... I was only guessing that because upshift happens at 20 km/h, down shift has to be same, hasn't it? Good idea , I should try ECU flash.. haven't thought of that !! :-)
Old 14-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishontherun

hi mohit,
the 1st to 2nd upshift is very noticeable... like one that first learn driving manual would do... I was only guessing that because upshift happens at 20 km/h, down shift has to be same, hasn't it? Good idea , I should try ECU flash.. haven't thought of that !! :-)
I was speaking to focus181 via PM about this as he's had the PCM update on his Focus as well. He said his Focus does not suffer from the upshift thump after the PCM update.

Let us know how you go after an ECU reset. I still need to take our Foci to the dealership about this issue so we'll see how it goes.
Old 21-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
focus181
Starter Motor

Quote:
I was speaking to focus181 via PM about this as he's had the PCM update on his Focus as well. He said his Focus does not suffer from the upshift thump after the PCM update.

Let us know how you go after an ECU reset. I still need to take our Foci to the dealership about this issue so we'll see how it goes.
Yeah... we had the PCU update (or at least a "Computer Update") back at the end of September, and since then the car has performed without a hitch...ie no lurches, jolts, etc. Pity it took 16 months to get it to the stage where were happy with it..!!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #18
mohit

Dopped our LS Focus into Strapp Ford Doncaster this morning to apply the PCU update. They called me back earlier saying there is no such update. They said they also checked with Bayford Transmissions (who are an official Ford repairer for transmissions) and they hadn't heard of any such update.

Really annoying that no one in VIC knows about this but other interstate dealers do. Through some forum searching i found that Thomson Ford in NSW had fixed this issue for a forum member. Called them up and the guy i spoke to didn't seem to know much but took my details down for a call back from someone else.

Are there any other dealers that have done this successfully? Is there a Ford code or reference for this update?
Old 19-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
mohit

Had our other Focus (LT) at the dealer yesterday for an unrelated warranty issue. Got them to check if the car had the latest software updates...it did.

So it looks like some people have the latest updates and the problem has been fixed while for others like me it hasn't made a difference.

I know there is nothing mechanically wrong with the transmission, it's more so the shift programming which downchanges from 2nd to 1st at around 5km/h. This causes the thump when you have almost stopped.

Are there any Ford service guys out there reading this that could shed some light on whether the shift points can be changed? Anyone tuned a Focus where they were able to change the shift speed parameters?
Old 20-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
fishontherun
Starter Motor

hi mohit,
I did ECU reset, doesn't work. Like I said in previous post, after PCM update (or PCU ??) it change the shift point to 20km/h, so the thumping/jerking happen there instead, but less frequent (only if you're slowing down to 20 and then speed back up).
So I'm more leaning toward mechanical error than the program itself. Will check with Thomson again. If you call them ask for Lee Ellias. He dealt with my car before. Cheers
Old 21-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Hey all. My car is up to 60k km now and am starting to experience a hang when switching between first and second after a cold start. Sounds like it sits on the clutch for a good 2 seconds before second kicks in and as such the car revs a bit harder than expected.

I was wondering if this is a related issue to what has been discusses above. I have also experienced the thump as mentioned above but never really been worried about it nor have I had it looked at. Will have to book it in for a service soon anyway so I'll get the dealers to look at it as well as pressure them to do this PCM update.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
fishontherun
Starter Motor

hi Velo,
I think it is the same issue. Ours happen from brand new though. Mine also hangs when you shift from R to D. Scare the sh$t out of me first time when I move out of parking, and there's a car coming.
Old 21-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #23
mohit

Mine never hangs between shifts just the 2nd to 1st thump as discussed previously
Old 15-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #24
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason mine hangs is my left foot!!!! You guys are just lazy..... heeheehee!!