Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #1
RicOz

Default Reverse Camera in Rearview mirror

Just noticed that the Mondeo now has a Reversing Camera System as an accessory for $657. Its one that is in your rear view mirror.

Has anyone got one or used one before? Does this replace the mirror with a LCD type screen? Or is a mirror/LCD screen in one?

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Conte...=1178850999844

Old 30-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
warren77

Nice find RicOz.
Although at $657 it seems very expensive, given that it doesn't include fitting. Which could run to a good couple of hours labor.

I already have a camera mounted on the back of Mondeo after I tried an aftermarket stereo. Suffice to say, I have gone back to the standard Sony unit.
I am in the process of sourcing a 2.5" LCD screen, which I am going to mount under the ash tray. Whilst it will be a small screen, it will provide the peace of mind I am looking for, which is making sure there is nothing behind me when backing up.

Here is what I _think_ I need to do:
* Camera is already installed - it uses a standard RCA and a 12V power.
* Wiring has been run through to behind the head unit.
* The positive power for the camera used to be hacked into the head unit reversing signal wire.
* Connecting the LCD panel will be a simple matter of connecting the RCA.
* Connect the LCD panel positive and Camera Positive to the reversing fuse
* Connect the LCD panel negative to ground

So, in theory, the camera and panel is only powered when the car is in reverse.

Am I wrong?

Will let you all know how I go.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi RicOz,

I'm with Warren, It seems very expensive for what it is.

For that kind of money, you could replace the standard Sony Audio system and get all sorts of other stuff too. DVD, TV, GPS, MP3 etc etc....

It also looks to be quite deep, and this would put me off such a change as I don't like things getting in my sight-line unless I want them to be there. The standard RVM is just low enough that it catches my sight-line when I scan to the left, unless I lower the driver's seat to an uncomfortable position, something I didn't notice on the test drive. But it would not have been a deal killer even so.

While I'm typing:

Warren, if you happen across this, could you PM me the supplier where you sourced your after market unit, I'm getting close to doing the swap - mainly for the GPS/mp3 combination, your information could be useful. And if you send me photos of the LCD when you get it, I'll be glad to offer an opinion about the wiring. But an immediate question is does the camera provide a mirror image, or was this achieved in the head unit?

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
warren77

Alan

PM sent.

Some things I learnt from my experience:
Stereo installers are like mechanics - you get some good ones, and some who aren't so good.
Putting in an aftermarket system means you loose the bluetooth (if installed from factory) and voice control. Not a big deal if the unit has bluetooth, but the quality isn't as good. Plus the microphone was near the passenger, meaning I had to shout to be heard. Not an issue with the factory.

Make sure you get the bus adapter - that is required.

Good question regarding the mirror in the unit or the LCD screen. Would have to check.

Just noticed your sig - You have a territory as well. I am considering buying the Terri for my wife and keeping the XR5 for me! Yours being the AWD has the 6 speed box right? Is it worth the extra?
Old 31-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
ajay1940

Dick Smith has a DIY system for $174. I've bought one but haven't fitted it yet.
It's made by Swann and the instructions are clear. (i.e. proper English)
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
warren77

Ajay
Looks quite reasonable.
Is the connector from the camera to the LCD an RCA?
Spec's don't tell me.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
ajay1940

Yes, it's an RCA plug.
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
warren77

Thanks!

Once I do mine I will post some photos.
Not sure when - travelling for work most of jan and feb.