Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default Speed kills

Hideously dangerous, what is left of my hair caught fire because of this and I'm in NSW!!! There was a time when the speed was legal IF the road fell under (//). If the sign still is, well . . . .

Quote:
Motoring writer 'did 231km/h' in Ferrari
July 13, 2009 - 7:19PM

A motoring writer has allegedly been clocked driving a $400,000 Ferrari at more than 230km/h on a West Australian road.

Police say traffic officers pulled over 57-year-old Australian Financial Review motoring writer Rod Easdown in the West Australian wheatbelt on Monday.

The V8 Ferrari California convertible he was driving, worth more than $400,000 and reportedly one of only two in Australia, has been impounded for seven days under WA's tough anti-hoon legislation.

A News Ltd website reported a number of motoring writers were to test drive the car in WA.

Easdown is alleged to have been driving at 231km/h in a 110km/h zone when he was pulled over on Julimar Road, near Toodyay, east of Perth, about noon (WST).

Police said Easdown, from the Perth suburb of Wembley, will be summonsed to appear in a Perth court on a charge of reckless driving.

Sergeant Greg Lambert said regardless of a car's capabilities, excessive speed was a contributing factor in about 60 people dying on WA roads every year.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0713-dior.html

Now this wasn't so bad, much safer area;-
Quote:
Two charged with street racing in Raymond Terrace
13/07/2009 9:08:00 AM

TWO men who were allegedly clocked 80 kilometres an hour over the speed limit at Raymond Terrace last night have had their cars confiscated by police.

Port Stephens police allegedly saw two Holden Commodores travelling side by side on Adelaide Street about 6.25pm.

They were allegedly travelling at about 130 kilometres an hour in a 50 kilometre an hour zone.

A Coledale man, 21, and Raymond Terrace man, 26, were later issued with a field court attendance notice to face Raymond Terrace Local Court next month on charges of street racing and driving at a speed dangerous.

Both Commodores (shut up KL:-) were confiscated and impounded by police and both drivers had their licences suspended on the spot.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...e/1565983.aspx

MP3 on the evils of speed:-
http://www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...2006_07_06.mp3

NSW - F3 Southbound 'tyre changing' event:-
http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/20...ous-condition/

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting; I wonder if the journo will do a story on the hoon legislation in WA????
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Default Ferrari California gets impounded for speeding.

The only press car in Aus gets impounded. Alot've journos & the importer would be ****ed.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...1-2761,00.html

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder how they caught him
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK250
Wonder how they caught him
With a big net?

Old 13-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
Marduk
BFII XR6

He probably pulled over. 1 of 2 in Australia the chances of them not catching up with him are near impossible.
Old 13-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

I think theres more than just 2 here. I know theres a black one here in Adelaide.
All Ferrari dealers would have atleast one by now.

just saying is all.

Old 14-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
T3man
Banned

I'd rather be in a Ferrari at 231 km/h on a straight open WA highway signposted at 110 than in a Commonwhore doing 130km/h anywhere near Raymond Terrace especially in town in a 50 zone.

Seriously, 231 isn't that quick - if the road is clear and no other traffic (except the HWP hiding in the bushes) then I don't see it as being hideously dangerous.

Flame suit on and waiting .............
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Two fantasy stories, They should have done it in Vic and just slowed down for the fixed speed cameras !

Funny how other states still have Police actually patroling the roads.

Ha Ha made my day

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This could get very interesting.

Last time I drove in WA most of the open highway signs were (//) not (110). If that is still the case then he may argue that it was an open speed limit as federal law overrides state law and Australia has signed various international agreements on road signage.

He would possibly have enough push and money to have a go at this.

Now the REAL can of worms will be be if he wins as then every speeding ticket in WA in a (//) would possibly be challengable or even void.

Of course if the (//) are all gone in WA now then the above is irrelevent. The last one I knew about in QLD was replaced by (100) about 2 months ago.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
shakows

I did close to that in my 02 XR6 ............. back when the speeds in the NT were open of course
shakows is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
bluebloodxr8
Was born with blue blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I'd rather be in a Ferrari at 231 km/h on a straight open WA highway signposted at 110 than in a Commonwhore doing 130km/h anywhere near Raymond Terrace especially in town in a 50 zone.

Seriously, 231 isn't that quick - if the road is clear and no other traffic (except the HWP hiding in the bushes) then I don't see it as being hideously dangerous.

No need for a flame suit.
I agree, 2 clowns street racing in a 50 zone is rediculous, and bloody dangerous.
WA highways are wide, flat, and generally clear of roadside objects.
Ever heard the saying,
Conditions..... clear,
weather..... dry
traffic...... light,
visiblitiy.... great
revenue....excellent!!
The only real danger for the journo, would be hitting a roo at 231.

had a mate caught last week on the nullabor.
138km/h. in a brand new 200 series cruiser. $360.00 fine.
he is roughly the same age as the journo. should start a campagne against experienced drivers and speed.
Old 14-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
blueprinted_xr
FPV F6E FG XR8 UTE EL XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
This could get very interesting.

Last time I drove in WA most of the open highway signs were (//) not (110). If that is still the case then he may argue that it was an open speed limit as federal law overrides state law and Australia has signed various international agreements on road signage.

He would possibly have enough push and money to have a go at this.

Now the REAL can of worms will be be if he wins as then every speeding ticket in WA in a (//) would possibly be challengable or even void.

Of course if the (//) are all gone in WA now then the above is irrelevent. The last one I knew about in QLD was replaced by (100) about 2 months ago.
there are still a few around in WA, however they are irrelevant because the maximum speed aloud speed in WA is 110km/h.
blueprinted_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I was under the impression that the sign (Speed derestriction sign) meant an end to the current speed limit and the default state limit applied but only if it is safe to do so.

Pretty ambiguous sign really
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does the Fin Review need to find a new roadtester?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I was under the impression that the sign (Speed derestriction sign) meant an end to the current speed limit and the default state limit applied but only if it is safe to do so.

Pretty ambiguous sign really
That's what my impression was too, not that it was a do whatever speed you want sign. Only saw them in outback NSW a good 20 years or so ago.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Firstly, Julimar Road in Toodyay is definitely no 'highway' - it's a rural back road with gravel and honky nuts on the corners and pretty ordinary surfacing. If he was indeed doing 230km/h on that road then he is a first grade clown. Anything that remotely resembles a 'fun' road in the Toodyay area is patrolled quite often by both the local Police and the Traffic Enforcement Group from Perth. Blame all the bogans that were 'doing it for Brocky' on O'Brien's Road for that one.

Secondly, the // signs are few and far between in WA and in any event they mean you can do any speed you like up to 110km/h - which is the legal limit in WA.

I can immediately think of at least three places he could have gone to 'test' the car and no one would have noticed, or cared. It pays to do your homework on your route first...

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 14-07-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Firstly, Julimar Road in Toodyay is definitely no 'highway' - it's a rural back road with gravel and honky nuts on the corners and pretty ordinary surfacing. If he was indeed doing 230km/h on that road then he is a first grade clown. Anything that remotely resembles a 'fun' road in the Toodyay area is patrolled quite often by both the local Police and the Traffic Enforcement Group from Perth. Blame all the bogans that were 'doing it for Brocky' on O'Brien's Road for that one.

Secondly, the // signs are few and far between in WA and in any event they mean you can do any speed you like up to 110km/h - which is the legal limit in WA.

I can immediately think of at least three places he could have gone to 'test' the car and no one would have noticed, or cared. It pays to do your homework on your route first...
No (//) means unrestricted. WA have interpreted this to mean 110, whether or not that is actually the case is what I was aluding to.
I have had the same conversation with a mate up here who wears blue pajamas and he says as far as he is concerned it means 100km/h but there have been a few "events" that have led to the signs being replaced with (100).

Under Australian law, if two pieces of legislation (one state and one federal) contradict each other, the federal one wins and the (//) sign is part of an international treaty sign by the federal government and therefore federal law.

It is very complicated legal stuff and would keep QCs in vintage grange for many months if tested buy the anarchist in me just hopes it does.

But again, if the road in question did not have a (//) then the point is moot.
Old 14-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man

On a track I agree it isnt that fast, but on a public road where your liable to be pinched, and then dragged over hot coals in the media, its just stupid.
not to mention what would happen if some cocky's cattle wandered onto the road 100 or 200 metres ahead of you.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Open roads //

Back in 1964 when I got my licence in Victoria
the de restrction sign meant you could drive over the state limit which was 60Mph at the time if you could prove you were not driving dangerously which of course no one could, you cant beat the lawand then in the early seventies they made derestriction roads 70Mph so then every one copped it for speeding
Does any one remember the two white lines painted across the highway and then another set a 100 Yards down the road? they had Cesnas flying low and checking you with a stop watch for speed, a bit like SA at the time but more up market they just sat on bridges and used a stop watch
just my recollections
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #21
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
On a track I agree it isnt that fast, but on a public road where your liable to be pinched, and then dragged over hot coals in the media, its just stupid.
not to mention what would happen if some cocky's cattle wandered onto the road 100 or 200 metres ahead of you.
Well from reports it seems the road where he was caught was not up to it, so yes, it was stupid.

... but, ... you did mention the cocky's cattle ... so,

At 231km/h, yes it would be impossible to stop in 100m, even in a Ferrari ... but 200m, ... piece of cake.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #22
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Outside ‘Built-Up’ areas
The speed limit that applies in Western Australia outside
‘built-up’ areas and where there are no speed limit signs is
currently 110km/h. The places where this limit starts may
be indicated on signs such as a ‘derestriction sign’ or a
speed limit sign with the word ‘END’ on it.

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/lic_drivesafe3.pdf

Australian Road Rules
Updated: 18 February 2009

This is the latest version of the Australian Road Rules and incorporates the amendments approved by the Australian Transport Council (ATC) up to and including January 2008. Please note that the Australian Road Rules are model Rules only and have no legal effect. They form the basis of Road Rules of each Australian state and territory.

http://www.ntc.gov.au/ViewPage.aspx?documentid=00794

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 14-07-2009 at 06:22 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #23
smee323
Yes it is mine...

Targa West is in a months time and uses roads around there.
Competitors had been warned police presence would be increased.

Either he was un aware, or just stupid.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
wears blue pajamas
lol good description for them too :

I can assure you Julimar Road won't have any // signs. In fact, if its anything like certain other roads around Toodyay, the speed limit may have been dropped recently to 80 or 90. Although I can't say for sure.

Another thing about the locale where this peanut got nabbed, is its an area full of tree-changers and hippies with 5 acre blocks, and I can guarantee you that if you are driving a modified car, or riding a SS motorcycle on any of these roads around Toodyay, even if you are obeying the speed limit, you're an instant ******** in the eyes of the local residents and the Police, who will pull you over anyway simply because you are there. Residents have been known to put crap on the roads and on corners to make riders fall off and all it takes is someone to bin it and the cops are all over the area like...you know.

In any event, it's all said and done now. Hope the pineapple doesn't hurt :hihi:
Old 14-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh well that ends the case. It is amusing that every the (//) thing has happened in QLD is has been in a Mag. Ct.

The point to wonder is if the actual LEGAL meaning of (//) is not unclear then why have they been replaced in every state with other signs at quite significant cost.
This is not just old signs but even shiny new ones.

Still, it is almost ancient history unless NT is recovered from the southern invaders and reality restored.....

But this has not much to do with the original topic now.

I wonder what the final outcome will be as politicians are very afraid of the media even if they don't admit it publicly.

Time will tell.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I don't think the importers (Barbagello I suspect) will be too upset; the cars had a heap of free newspaper and TV coverage as a result - lots of free colour advertising.
Old 14-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
I don't think the importers (Barbagello I suspect) will be too upset; the cars had a heap of free newspaper and TV coverage as a result - lots of free colour advertising.
But did you see on the news just now that they applied to have the car released to them and the Piggie said no? They must be pretty annoyed at the whole deal...
Old 14-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #28
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

Now this wasn't so bad, much safer area;-
Um, how do you work that out.??
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #29
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
Um, how do you work that out.??
It’s called sarcasm.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:22 PM   #30
9lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebloodxr8

had a mate caught last week on the nullabor.
138km/h. in a brand new 200 series cruiser. $360.00 fine.
he is roughly the same age as the journo. should start a campagne against experienced drivers and speed.

Thank the politician sitting in his office having prob never driven the nullabour, or any other similar road, for that! Twits.

If they actually got off their butts and drove the rd, they would know just how tiring it is to try to keep a modern car to 110km for hours on end.

Its absolutly rediculous isn't it...