Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-09-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Question Foxtel iQ

Hi guys, i am looking at getting foxtel digital installed and would like some feedback from members that may have this service installed.

1.Does the iQ stb they supply also convert all the free to air channels to a high def picture?

2.Are there any reliability or quality control issues with the stbs they supply you with?

3.Do you think the iQ service is worth the extra coin over the std digital service that foxtel supply?

4.What is your total monthly subscription costs for the Basic Value option on the std def box?

thanks.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I seriously doubt the IQ box would do anything to the free to air signal

I havent had any issue with my box. Ah, I mean my box is great. Erm.....

As for digital itself I think this is a pretty poor usage of the technology by foxtel. The picture is not better than analogue foxtel in my opinion. And the gimmicks they have with it are under used. Like NRL live and active, you get one game a week active and thats it.

It would be good with the IQ to be able to pause a broadcast or record etc, but I just dont see how its worth it.

My 2c worth anyway.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Man, IQ is expensive... large downpayment and extra monthly rentals....

Free to air will most likely depend on the service. I have analogue cable and it gets free to air - analogue satellite does not.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #4
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Man, IQ is expensive... large downpayment and extra monthly rentals....

Free to air will most likely depend on the service. I have analogue cable and it gets free to air - analogue satellite does not.

Ok, satellite is probably what my service will be, no cable in my area. I've been told by a friend that i should make sure they supply me with a PACE stb as it has better connectability than the other unit foxtel use.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 01-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
nang3

digital satellite does not retransmit FTA either, well except for SBS and ABC i think.. but thats nothing a cheap STB didnt fix, for the one time a month i watch FTA TV...

overall digital foxtel is a much better pic than analogue, not sure about the IQ stuff tho..
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

It may be slightly better but it cant be too much better, both use composite connection to the telly. Where as my HD set top box uses component conection. Much better.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
It may be slightly better but it cant be too much better, both use composite connection to the telly. Where as my HD set top box uses component conection. Much better.
on a side not what model hd stb have you got?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 02-09-2005, 06:29 PM   #8
nang3

im sure my digi STB has component outputs thru a scart connector.. will have to doublecheck tho... it has optical out as well for dig sound, I dont think the analogue one had that?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

I have signed up today on their std digital via satalite to be installed on Tuesday. I will hopefully be able to use a splitter to send it from the HT to the main bedroom.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 03-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #10
BuuBox

Make sure you get the PACE stb, otherwise you run the risk of getting an older, analouge satellite stb that's been converted to run on digital. It means you won't be able to use the 5.1 sound of some channels and movies, shown by the * next to the box office advertisments in the magazine (*5.1 not avaliable on all stb)...

The iQ is nicely intergrated into the system, meaning you can record and still watch another channel as far as I know, but you won't be able to record all the free-to-air channels. With satellite, you'll only get Channel Nine, Channel 2 and SBS. I'm not convinced it's worth the cash, especially with stand alone players getting so cheap. You also never actually own the iQ, it's merely rented to you.

You can split the signal and run it into other rooms, but obviously you'll have to watch the same channel in every room. Amazing how many things I've got running through the house on old, crusty coaxial...
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
Make sure you get the PACE stb, otherwise you run the risk of getting an older, analouge satellite stb that's been converted to run on digital. It means you won't be able to use the 5.1 sound of some channels and movies, shown by the * next to the box office advertisments in the magazine (*5.1 not avaliable on all stb)...

The iQ is nicely intergrated into the system, meaning you can record and still watch another channel as far as I know, but you won't be able to record all the free-to-air channels. With satellite, you'll only get Channel Nine, Channel 2 and SBS. I'm not convinced it's worth the cash, especially with stand alone players getting so cheap. You also never actually own the iQ, it's merely rented to you.

You can split the signal and run it into other rooms, but obviously you'll have to watch the same channel in every room. Amazing how many things I've got running through the house on old, crusty coaxial...
cheers, thanks for the tips. I did make a point to the customer service operator that i want the pace stb.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 04-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Nang wrote: "overall digital foxtel is a much better pic than analogue".

Rubbish - with satellite delivery, the so called 'analogue' channels are absolutely digital and the technical parameters are exactly the same as with the marketed 'Digital' service.

The so marketed 'Digital' service however merely contains additional channels, containing a few PLUS TWO's (2-hour delay channels), a couple of channels not shown on the earlier 'analogue' service like 'C1', 'Lifestyle Food', 'Foxtel Box Office' and so on. The digital marketed set top box also has a different look menu and greater menu choice, you can set 'reminders' etc.

If you run a big screen TV, you might, sometimes, be disappointed with the picture quality. Video compression issues resulting in 'artefact's are more noticeable. High-Definition it is not.

You can receive HD satellite TV. A the moment, China's CCTV is testing such broadcast free-to-air for those with HD satellite set top boxes. Now that's picture quality. Even other free to air 'regular' digital TV services show greater quality than Fox.

Foxtel IQ has issues insofar as not being able to record or keep Box Office movies etc. Its costly, but okay enough for the uninformed.

www.austech.info/forums
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 04-09-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

As far as I was aware also you pay the extra amount for iQ but don't actually own the unit?

For that $500odd(?) i'd rather buy a proper HDD based PVR which can record anything going through your TV, including fox, free-to-air, etc etc..
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #14
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

Rubbish - with satellite delivery, the so called 'analogue' channels are absolutely digital and the technical parameters are exactly the same as with the marketed 'Digital' service.

The so marketed 'Digital' service however merely contains additional channels, containing a few PLUS TWO's (2-hour delay channels), a couple of channels not shown on the earlier 'analogue' service like 'C1', 'Lifestyle Food', 'Foxtel Box Office' and so on. The digital marketed set top box also has a different look menu and greater menu choice, you can set 'reminders' etc.

If you run a big screen TV, you might, sometimes, be disappointed with the picture quality. Video compression issues resulting in 'artefact's are more noticeable. High-Definition it is not.

You can receive HD satellite TV. A the moment, China's CCTV is testing such broadcast free-to-air for those with HD satellite set top boxes. Now that's picture quality. Even other free to air 'regular' digital TV services show greater quality than Fox.

Foxtel IQ has issues insofar as not being able to record or keep Box Office movies etc. Its costly, but okay enough for the uninformed.

www.austech.info/forums

I am using sony 11ht pj on 100" lp morgan screen. I am also using a uec std def stb. Are you sayng that the foxtel digital picture quality is poor via satalite?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 04-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #15
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

www.austech.info/forums
mate i never said digital was high def or even came close to HD quality - but i upgraded from analogue to digital and noticed a marked improvement in picture quality, providing of course you use anything except the antenna to hook up to your TV.

this was both the case at my old ladies place (cable) and at my house (satellite).