Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Why so leniant??!

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...124-1qf64.html

Quote:
A man who led Gold Coast police on a wild chase in a stolen Porsche has been warned he could be jailed for up to three years.

Craig Allan Jones, 24, today pleaded guilty in the Southport Magistrates Court to 13 charges, including several linked to the two-hour, high-speed chase last September.

Police prosecutor Greg McKenzie told the court Mr Jones, who was on parole at the time, drove at extreme speeds, drifting onto the wrong side of roads, using bicycle lanes to zip past other cars, and forcing drivers to take evasive action.
Advertisement: Story continues below

"At one stage, on the M1, he drove at such speed that other traffic seemed to be standing still," Sen Const McKenzie said.

The drama, filmed by a Channel 7 news chopper, left the bright yellow Porsche Boxter badly damaged after Mr Jones drove off the highway and hit a fence.

Despite the damage, the car continued to be driven at high speed with sparks pouring from a front wheel until it was eventually torn off and hit an oncoming vehicle.

Sen Const McKenzie said Mr Jones eventually abandoned the Porsche and stole another vehicle, driving head-on at police at 90 kilometres per hour down a narrow driveway.

"Police reversed their patrol car at 70km/h along the drive to avoid a collision, then followed Jones as he drove around blind corners at high speed on the wrong side of the road," he said.

He said the Channel 7 chopper tracked the car, which was cornered after its tyres blew and Mr Jones lost traction as he tried to keep driving on its rims.

The court heard that during another high-speed chase on the Gold Coast two weeks earlier, police called off another pursuit of Mr Jones after he drove a stolen car at high speed past a school.

Sen Const McKenzie said Mr Jones swerved around a stationary car at a pedestrian crossing where children had walked just moments before, nearly hitting a lollipop woman, crossing to the wrong side of the road and running a red light.

After accepting Mr Jones's seven-page criminal record and five-page traffic record, Magistrate Catherine Pirie said the maximum penalty she could impose was three years' jail.

She warned Mr Jones's legal aid solicitor she was considering a penalty "in the upward end of the range".

Mr Jones will be sentenced on Monday.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz1kLtC9PrO
7 Pages of history, on parole at the time, and yet only a potential 3 years jail time. W.T.F.?!!

Old 24-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
adza
Starter Motor

Default Re: Why so leniant??!

Blame all the tree hugging do gooder civil libertarians.

The way society is going it is "not fair" to punish people as you can't hold someone responsible for their own actions anymore.
adza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lenient is because all the morons get lenient treatment.
He should of been shot.
If it had been his car it would of been destroyed by the gov, but you can steal and wreck others and that's not so bad some how.
I think it just shows how incompetent or stupid our government really is as they only make a lot of a deal about bull that gets votes.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car thieves should have their fingers and their big toe's chopped off IMO and a permanent blacklisting for welfare.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I wouldn't give him any jail time, because we're paying for the moron to stay there.

Shooting, finger chopping or burning seem to pop into my head as punishment.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Stole 6 cars, with a police chase thrown in for good measure... 100 hours community service.
http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au...8461_news.html
Old 24-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

think a bit of corporal punishment in this case would not go astray?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=adza]Blame all the tree hugging do gooder civil libertarians.

And a lunatic left jelly backed judiciary .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
7 Pages of history, on parole at the time, and yet only a potential 3 years jail time. W.T.F.?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adza
Blame all the tree hugging do gooder civil libertarians.

The way society is going it is "not fair" to punish people as you can't hold someone responsible for their own actions anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
And a lunatic left jelly backed judiciary .
Well we only have ourselves to blame, we voted them in...at both federal and across the states! unbelievable

Then everybody complains about stuff like this, whether it's economic mismanagement or soft on crime or whatever (doesn't really matter)....but then when the next election comes around, everybody votes for them again... don't forget that the judiciary are only able to operate within the sentencing guidelines set by the government...so yeah it's all related...

And we wonder what's wrong with this country
Old 25-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
don't forget that the judiciary are only able to operate within the sentencing guidelines set by the government...so yeah it's all related...

Even so the magistrates often give a penalty on the lower end of the scale. In Queensland animal cruelty attracts a maximum 2 years in prison. This punishment has never been handed down.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
scoupedy

He has a good lawyer?

I knew a guy that should have been jailed many times but he always turned up with the best criminal lawyer that usually did high profile murder cases.
Many times the police just dropped the charges once they saw his defence team.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Maximum sentences permissible at law in legislation are often high enough. The problem is one of social engineering agenda bought about by "Judicial Sentencing Guidelines". GB and similar western places are infected with them.

Part of the plan to lessen western society quality.

It's easy to call for pollies to 'get tough on crime' and so parliament might in relation to an offence, say car theft - from 7 to 10 years. But those Guidelines then come into play and they alone mitigate against maximums being sentenced/carried out. Legal reform/re-education of the judiciary and all that plays a part.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" Well we only have ourselves to blame, we voted them in"

Not this little Black Duck
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Part of the plan to lessen western society quality.
I agree, its got to be part of the plan, if we had a referendum on capital punishment I would say it would be 80% for.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
" Well we only have ourselves to blame, we voted them in"

Not this little Black Duck
We all know ducks can't vote.

The reason that jail is avoided so much is that minor criminals will go into jail and come out as much better criminals.

Everyone criticises what judges deliver but you weren't in the court, you don't know the case, you just judge the result.

Stop posting information completely against the law of the land, switch off your computer and go and watch reruns of Today Tonight or A Current Affair.

I have faith that judges will make the correct decision because they have all the facts presented in court.

I'll just head off and put on my flame resistent suit now......
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

[QUOTE=wrongwaynorris]" Well we only have ourselves to blame, we voted them in"

Accidentally duplicated the post. The comments above are not directed specifically to wrongwaynorris.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Yes he had a terrible childhood..blah blah. He has suffered from substance abuse...blah blah. Society hasn't paved him a golden pathway in society so we must weigh these considerations when finding a suitable punishment. I know when I was told "just you wait until we get home" or even worse "you just wait until your father gets home"...that mean't something....and hell scared I was!!! So I guess winding up in court with an already outstanding criminal record is just water off a ducks back to some people. It's not so much about being in the court or knowing the facts....it's more about why he is in court for the same facts to be presented over and over again with repetitive offences. I don't get it and many people probably don't....I just resolve to the fact that these kind of people are out there and hopefully our paths don't cross when he decides to take a corner on the wrong side of the road...smashed off his nut...with the police in pursuit!!...again!!!
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
Yes he had a terrible childhood..blah blah. He has suffered from substance abuse...blah blah. Society hasn't paved him a golden pathway in society so we must weigh these considerations when finding a suitable punishment. I know when I was told "just you wait until we get home" or even worse "you just wait until your father gets home"...that mean't something....and hell scared I was!!! !!!

Bloody oath. (excuse the language). Problem these days are, kids have it drummed into their heads at school, parents or the local copper aren't allowed to hit you, or their in the deepend.

This translates to, us as parents or the local copper can't give the little ***** a good swifty up the backside, and then they dribble all this bulldust to the judge and get off lightly.

So I blame all the doo gooders for these little ***** doing what they do.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post