Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
TTXF

Default Burning rubber smell in cabin

As the title says I have a burning rubber smell inside the car ( AU1 forte ). As far as I can tell it's coming from the vents when the fan or a/c is on. Any ideas on what could cause this?

cheers

TTXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get this aswell, usually occurs under hard acceleration from a standstill. Smoke also appears at the rear of the vehicle.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
I get this aswell, usually occurs under hard acceleration from a standstill. Smoke also appears at the rear of the vehicle.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR

i have the same problem LOL :P

i think my smokes comeing from the wheels i donno :P
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTXF
As the title says I have a burning rubber smell inside the car ( AU1 forte ). As far as I can tell it's coming from the vents when the fan or a/c is on. Any ideas on what could cause this?

cheers
it's probably the blower fan. i'd say it's probably in the way out.

either that or you are taking the p*ss, in which case, what was said above, lol
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
xrford
WAGONE

Is it definately from the vents? tyre rubber or different? the rear exhaust rubber mount broke on my car a while ago, the pipe lightly rubbed on the right rear tyre when cornering even something like that had the smell crankin inside.
Maybe check wheels if its def tyre smell, the other rubber smell is nowhere near as cool so id try find that prob quick smart!
xrford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
Spaniard

Could be a belt that isn't aligned on the engine pulleys properly prematurely wearing.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would also say that the blower unit is on the way out, only way to find the cause is to check behind the dash

or

if there is a strong smell of burning rubber with small pieces of black residue stuck to the inner wheel wells, check right foot power to accelerator weight ratio

or

it's a rodent chewing on your wiring loom - ( be very careful in the way of extracting/eliminating these warm fuzzy creatures - the penalties for mishandling/ causing inhumane treatment are horrendous)
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
TTXF

Turned out to be the harmonic balancer. All the rubber was falling out of it.
TTXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
webbiegareth

Default Re: Burning rubber smell in cabin

Guys & gals, I know this is an older thread...

But our Ford AU is doing something similar. It's a strong burning smell (don't know if it's a rubber smell or not, it's just a really strong burning smell) from the air vents when the fan is turned on.

I can't smell much in the engine bay itself, just in the cabin, and it's coming out the air vents (fan needs to be on).

First thought was heater core failure, but the passenger side foot area is all dry and I can't feel any coolant leaking in anywhere.

Is this one of those "could be anything" things? And if it's something behind the dash, it'll be lot sof $$$$'s, right?

(I know the heater core costs a small fortune to replace... so I'm really hoping it's not that)
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

what setting have you got the fan on - is it recirc or fresh air, and is the aircon on? what heat setting?
Old 24-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
webbiegareth

Fresh air, aircon off, temp setting to the coldest on the dial.

Basically the girlfriend drove it less than 1km to the daycare centre, I got a call when she was there saying the car might be on fire as there was smoke and a burning smell coming front inside the car.

I quickly drove over, the inside did absolutely stink but I couldn't smell anything abnormal from the engine bay... she took my car and I drove hers back home. I didn't see any smoke come out of the air vents but the smell was from them incredibly strong.

It doesn't sound louder than normal or anything, and I stuck my hand under the passenger footwell carpet and around the back under the glovebox area and couldn't feel any dampness.
webbiegareth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post