Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 31-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #1
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mobil 1 = EXPENSIVE RIP OFF

Today I bought 5L of Mobil 1 Fully Syn Oil for my LR Focus. Swore on the life of melbzetec. But for $80 I don't see the point of paying so much for a Syn oil. Castrol Edge is about $50 so what I would like to know, if anyone knows (that includes you Steve) why is Mobil 1 so expensive. Not only is their oil expensive so is their petrol! Well that is my little rant for tonight. Please give me info on this as I would love to know why Mobil can rip everyone a little bit more.

Adam

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Why did you pay for it then complain about it? Ya knob!

I'm putting money on brand image. Why do people pay more for a BMW? A lot has to do with brand image.
Old 31-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only because Shell and Mobil 1 has 10w - 30 and thats what I needed

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
ozracer
Starter Motor

I ran Castrol Edge in my car race car it is great stuff. My little Toyota used to scream to 8,500 revs almost on a daily basis. I would be hard pressed not to use this oil again big thumbs up.
ozracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

My allegiance to Mobil1 comes from working on the brand for years, including seeing all the testing.

Synthetic is expensive because it is not ripped out of the ground, then refined.

Rather it is created in the laboratory, so that each and every molecule is perfectly controlled. This is not a cheap process. And that is the major reason it is so expensive.

I've seen cars run over a million miles on one fill of Mobil 1, with the engines then pulled down, with each component still within the manufacturers engineering tolerances.

Why more expensive than Castrol Edge? I have no idea. Then again, no 2 synthetic oils are the same. Is Edge fully synthetic?? There aren't any hard and fast rules as to what "synthetic" actually means.

All I know is when I saw all the test figures and research (which aren't necessarily available to the public) I was convinced and have stuck with it ever since.

And if you remember the old ad with Peter Brock blowing an oil cooler at Bathurst, where he just kept running on Mobil 1.............that story is absolutely true. Because Mobil 1 doesn't break down at the extremely high race temps that would cause a mineral oil to degrade

And mind you, my engine has only had Mobil 1 in it "since new" (or at least till I drained the original fill oil at the 2,500 km mark)

I have seen a number of reliable reports that "Redline" is superior to Mobil 1 (it uses a different base ester). But that is about $140 per 4 litres.

Is Mobil 1 over the top for my engine? Probably. But so are the Magnecor wires I use. And the Zaino car polishes I use. I just feel better when I use top quality products.

I still don't get why are you complaining though. Surely you knew the price before you bought it??

So that's why I make the personal choice I do.

If you think it's too much Adam, make your own personal choice and DON"T BUY IT NEXT TIME!!!LOL!!! _2:
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
kenny21
This is really me :)

Yea i use castrol 10w60 in the race car and yes castrol edge is fully synthetic. Its also good up to 140 or 150 degrees i think as well. To tell u the truth i think the old castrol was better and this new stuff isnt as good but its still bloody good. It just depends on how u use the car to wat sorta oil ya wanna use.
kenny21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthread.php?t=58053
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #8
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve I needed it thats all. Thats why I bought it. Why did I include your name in that rant. Just another reason to give you a bit of crap lol.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 01-02-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
melbzetec

Then you did well Adam!!!! :evil_laug Set up the bait and I'll usually grab it!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oils aint oils sol...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Castrol EDGE is pretty good I reckon. I'm using it in my Fiesta at the moment. It's definitely better than whatever Ford put into the Fiestas when they're getting shipped. Better engine NVH level all-over.

I believe Motul engine oils are even more expensive than Mobil 1. I'm contemplating in getting Motul 300V Power Racing (5W-30). Maybe a day will come when my insanity level is high...
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to use Mobil 1 in the WRX until several club guys told me of expensive engine problems. The theory was that the oil was too slipery for Subaru high nickel / iron cylinder liners or some such technical thing and the bores glazed up.

The resident engineer said unless you flog the heck out of your car ie. racing, stick with manufacturers specs and if anal about oil quality just change it more often along with the filter.

I find it hard to believe a Ford dealer would use 'cheap' oil that is not suitable for the duratec so I go with whatever they use... Castrol in my case.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
kenny21
This is really me :)

Default Neo Oils

If any1 uses Neo Oils or are thinking of it just be very careful especially if u wanna use it in the gearbox cause this stuff is way too good and for any gearbox out there thats standard will stuff it cause its too slippery to good. Same with the engine oils unless its basically a race engine dont bother. Dont get me wrong im not trying give it a bad name this stuff is very very good oil just maybe a lil bit too good
kenny21 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
amlohac

When you get the oil changed by ford during a service, do they use a fully synthetic?
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
When you get the oil changed by ford during a service, do they use a fully synthetic?
haha youre kidding right? they use whatever is in the big 44 gallon drum at the end of the workshop.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #16
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Only because Shell and Mobil 1 has 10w - 30 and thats what I needed
Royal Purple is the way to go if you can handle 5W30 or 10W40
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #17
JD2004

i like the homebrand stuff you get at safeway next to the dog food.

yeah my car gets pretty hot, but its simple.. only drive it in cold weather.. fixed!!

Luc
Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
haha youre kidding right? they use whatever is in the big 44 gallon drum at the end of the workshop.
I'm pretty sure it's a semi-synthetic
Old 01-02-2007, 08:57 PM   #19
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is semi-synthetic.....but could be the old oil out of car's the have already serviced lol

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #20
melbzetec

So Adam...can you feel the difference already now you've got Mobil 1 in the engine??? ROFL :

Old 02-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #21
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve it isn't even in the engine yet. Still in the bottle. Got some free Sonax wax as well with it lol....does it make less expensive....the answer is still no lol. I will keep you posted to what I think of it

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
Old 02-02-2007, 07:47 AM   #22
melbzetec

Mate, it actually works better if you keep it in the bottle. Keeps the oil in pristine condition!!!!!! LOL

Old 03-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #23
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

haha Focus...

Here's hoping once it's in the car it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside ;)
Old 03-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #24
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve, put the mobil 1 in....feels like I put a turbo in my car now.....lol....wait and see with time how it is.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3