Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Mick K.

Post Fiesta Zetec vs LR Focus Zetec

I had a Fiesta Zetec as a loan car from a dealer today while my 2003 Focus Zetec was in for it's 45K service and racked up abput 400kms in a city/highway mix.

Here's my thoughts

Good points:
- Good fuel economy - less than 8l per 100kms
- Nicer looking interior / dash layout
- Good looking exterior
- Very easy to drive and park around town - lighter steering maybe?
- Quiet engine, even with a few revs on board
- Handled sitting on 110ish quite well
- Air con didn't affect performance too much

Bad Points:
- Noticeably tigher inside - knee hitting the centre console
- What's with the 5K indicated redline?
- Wipers have an unusual action and don't really cover much of the windscreen
- Worst thing about the car - very hard windowsill with no padding - I have a sore right elbow!

Other:
- Clutch and Accelerator pedals are a lot lighter to press than the Focus
- Surprised to see the key-operated fuel cap on this car too - I hate this.
- Definately feels like its one size down from the Focus and a bit lighter (tinnier) in construction

Before I bought my used Focus I test drove and seriously considered buying a Fiesta Zetec - after today I'm very happy I went for the used Focus.

MK

Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

Thank you, A lot of the bad points you have pointed out I found the same as well coming from a falcon.
The only one I disagree with is the "tinny" comment. I think both cars construction wise are on par most definiely (As you all know I prefer the fiesta interior so much more). Ever put some decent force on a fiesta door though, or felt how heavy and solid they are? Open and close the boot, it shuts beautifully. The doors are the same. The only tinny part i reckon about it is the bonnet, which IS like a tin.

I had another Focus today too while my car was at the dealer, so i've been driving it all day. It was an Auto sedan.... Not all that flash, especially the grandma beige interior colour scheme... Very uninspiring car. Still waiting to drive a manual 2 litre.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Mick K.

Maybe I should have said less insulation from roadnoise etc than "tinnier" as I also thought the doors etc felt pretty solid.

MK
Old 28-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

We have a Focus 2L auto as a family hack, and of course my Euro4D is manual - and I really prefer my manual where possible.

Good write up on the two cars Mick, thanks for your opinions. I'm yet to drive a Fiesta Zetec but did have a drive on a Fiesta LX and found similar opinions to you.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #5
Tripe

Hi Mick

I agree with all of your comments on the Fiesta (even though I've never driven a Focus lol) but i'm surprised you never mentioned the Driver's seat? I find this is the worst thing on the car as it offers no support whilst cornering. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to roll right out the window in tight corners and I often hang on to the steering wheel just to support myself. (I'm 185cm / 6'1 tall).

Also you are spot on about the tinny feeling. I think Ford skimped a bit on sound deadening under the car because driving on a dirt road sounds like a meteor shower is hitting the car from underneath :

I love the lighting in the dash at night - the silver rings around the dials glow red and look great with the green lights. But I miss not being able to adjust the brightness levels and I miss the little light near the ignition which helps you guide the key in.

Apart from those little niggles, I think the Fiesta is a great little car and I think it's the best looking small car in it's class. And the motor just loves to be revved! :eclipsee_
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I have driven both LR Focus and the Fiesta and would say the Fiesta is a bit better finished off, especially when it comes to the cabin etc but they are a little over priced for their size..

It felt a little small for me but im a pretty big guy so yeh.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
Maybe I should have said less insulation from roadnoise etc than "tinnier" as I also thought the doors etc felt pretty solid.

MK
Dead right about the roadnoise, every slightly larger than normal bump sounds like a massive crash underneath the car, The suspension transmits far too much roadnise unlike the Focus LX I was driving today.
Old 29-07-2005, 12:44 AM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Bah, you're all soft. Autos are great for lazy afternoon driving : .

Having only driven a Fiesta once (also been taken for a ride in a Manual One though), I prefer the Focus simply for size. If size hadnt have been an issue (I have 2 guitars to fit in, as well as an amp), Fiesta would have suited me down to the ground, I really like them.
Old 30-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Finally... peace and harmony between Focus and Fiesta owners py:

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 12:45 AM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
What's with the 5K indicated redline?
Mine starts at 6K.... and goes to 7K....

Quote:
Surprised to see the key-operated fuel cap on this car too - I hate this
Reason being that you dont leave your keys in the car... Safe idea

Quote:
Worst thing about the car - very hard windowsill with no padding - I have a sore right elbow!
You drove an auto then? (could explain 5K redline?)... if it was manual you would do 1 hand on wheel, other on indicators and/or gear stick.

Other then that i think your on ball with everything you say! One thing i DONT like about the Fiesta is the stupid boot release... either the button on the dash or stick the key in (or i guess... press the button release on the key)... its not practical sometimes. Oh, also the stupid pull release on the front bonnet, which i agree with Danny in that it is like a TIN! I have a nice dent on mine now from someone walking on my car when i parked in a dark carpark till 4am.... alarm had gone off, but at night i saw nothing wrong... oh well. Yes... alot of road noise!

Another thing could be that the Window wipers make a LOUD whistle at 130kmh + or at 110kmh with high winds. Even heard it on the Anzac Bridge at 80kmh!!!!!

The Focus Zetec is really nice though... i feel inlove with the ZetecR when i bought mine... but as the new model was out in 6 months and i didnt want to wait... i got the next best choice!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 30-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #11
Danny
GT4.

You can claim to ford that the dint on you bonnet was caused by you trying to close the bonnet because the bonnet latch wouldn't catch. Ford know it's an issue and i've herd in some cases have fixed the dented bonnets...
Old 30-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Really? Well... my dent is in the middle section of the bonnet to the right.... so i doubt i could claim that

Old 30-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #13
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

In reply to back2thefutura's comment about the size issue with Fiesta..

Im a musician aswell, the fiesta is just right when it comes to size.
With the rear seats folded down i manage to fit the following into the back..

*Oversized quad box (for those who dont know what that is, its just a really big cabinet speaker box with four 12 inchers in it.. weighs around 50kg and its bloody massive)
*gig bag
*Mesa boogie amplifier
*two guitars, one in a hard case and one in soft case
and a box of spare parts etc.

I personaly couldnt possibly ask for a small car with more space than that.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #14
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Mine starts at 6K.... and goes to 7K....
This one started at about 4.5K - maybe it was a Ford screw up and they put a diesel tacho in it or something. I revved it over just 5 and never hit a limiter.

Quote:
Reason being that you dont leave your keys in the car... Safe idea
I often have my wife also in the car and taking the keys out means the radio goes off - sure you can turn it on again - windows don't work etc

Quote:
You drove an auto then? (could explain 5K redline?)... if it was manual you would do 1 hand on wheel, other on indicators and/or gear stick.
I drove a manual - about 200kms on the freeway with right arm steering and right elbow on the unpadded driver's door window sill. Why does this sound like I was driving an auto?

Not a bad car overall and probably very good compared to Echo, Barina, and others in the light car class. I'm just happy I went for the 18 month old slightly larger car than a new one of these.

MK
Old 30-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

As I always have and always will say, the Focus would want to be a much better riding car compared to the Fiesta, for the weight it's carrying with one of the best IRS systems on the lpant, the Control Blade read suspension. It is naturally always going to ride and handle better in both bomfort and control due to that. The Fiesta however teaches it many lessons, not least in performance, fuel economy and interior space. It also would want to, it's a newer car. The New Focus takes that even one more step again. It's great to See Ford doesn't really take backward steps with major new models... Astra anyone?
Old 31-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
In reply to back2thefutura's comment about the size issue with Fiesta..

Im a musician aswell, the fiesta is just right when it comes to size.
With the rear seats folded down i manage to fit the following into the back..

*Oversized quad box (for those who dont know what that is, its just a really big cabinet speaker box with four 12 inchers in it.. weighs around 50kg and its bloody massive)
*gig bag
*Mesa boogie amplifier
*two guitars, one in a hard case and one in soft case
and a box of spare parts etc.

I personaly couldnt possibly ask for a small car with more space than that.

Yikes, Ill take that Mesa head off your hands! :

Seriously tho, how do you fit it in? I have trouble fitting the basses in with the seats down in the Focus!
Old 31-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #17
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default fiesta vs focus

Mmmmm Mesa Boogie single rectifier heaven hehe

Its very straight foward fitting everything into the car.
Of course when its loaded up you can only have yourself and the front passenger in the car.

in the rear, the base of the seat flips up against the back of the front seats.
Then the back seats fold down completely flat. Which gives the car a huge carrying space.
Didnt your dealership show you this when you looked into the fiesta???
When i was looking in the local ford showroom as soon as i told the salesman i was a musician he folded down the seats and showed how much carrying room there really was in this ''tiny'' little hatchi :P

Im still impressed by the car, i love the interior, i love the exterior, looks so smooth, LOVE the guards, LOVE the lights, handles very well, and can smoke a fair few cars from a standstill. Very fun little hatchi.... now it just needs a 4AGZE powerplant
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 03:31 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah I had a bit of a play around with the seats myself, dealership guys are hopeless with that sort of thing and they know I like to do it all myself anyway.
Ideally I'd have a Territory to fit a couple of Ampeg Cabs and Ibanez Basses in!

OT, how much did the Mesa cost you?
Old 31-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
This one started at about 4.5K - maybe it was a Ford screw up and they put a diesel tacho in it or something. I revved it over just 5 and never hit a limiter.
Um, are you sure this wasnt a FESTIVA? Fiesta redline begins at 6000rpm to 7000rpm... and cuts off at 6700rpm though

Quote:
I often have my wife also in the car and taking the keys out means the radio goes off - sure you can turn it on again - windows don't work etc
Not everyone is married? The logic is there... (what if someone jumped in and hijacked the car AND your wife?)

Quote:
I drove a manual - about 200kms on the freeway with right arm steering and right elbow on the unpadded driver's door window sill. Why does this sound like I was driving an auto?
Both hands should be on the wheel at all times! haha

Quote:
Not a bad car overall and probably very good compared to Echo, Barina, and others in the light car class. I'm just happy I went for the 18 month old slightly larger car than a new one of these.
Cool.... opinions are always welcome obviously, and we all have different reasons for driving different cars. You need space, power etc... Most fiesta owners are young, new car, single... and need an economical car... I think?

Old 31-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #20
RedStar71

Quote:
Most fiesta owners are young, new car, single... and need an economical car... I think?
There are a lot of little old ladies driving them too nowadays....Hate that! I remember reading that Ford marketed the Fiesta to affluent people who wanted a very well made small car and not just a cheap car. It makes sence in Europe (and most big cities in Australia) to have a small car to get around. The Fiesta is a quantum leap in build quality for any small car. My Fiesta is just as good as a new Focus as far as I am concerned for build quality. Thus the reason I decided not to go and trade the Fiesta in for a Mk2 Focus. After driving the Focus, the Fiesta was just as nice. Sure it is a bit rougher to drive on the road, any small car will be compared to a larger car. But that whole go cart feel of precise steering and great performance is what kept me driving the Fiesta. If Ford pulls their finger out and gets us a three door Focus then maybe I might trade it in but untill then my Fiesta is great fun.
Couple of things I would like to steal from a Mk2 Focus and transplant into the Fiesta would be the power window system. The ability to open the window fully with one press of the button is great and the system to prevent anything getting jammed in the window is also good. Not to mention that 2ltr engine! Got to transplant one of those eventually...
Mods: "Zetec S" badges, Zetec driving lights, stereo remote Ghia Gear stick surround and metal door handels. Factory EGA Sports Body Kit and Sports Leather Gear Knob. ST Rear Wing, Clear Indicators, Racing Pedals, Door Pulls, Door Sill Strips and Piano Black ICE Bezel.

2007 WQ Colorado Red Fiesta XR4
Mods: Smooth Rear Wiper
RedStar71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea true.... there are ALOT of old ladies driving LXs.... but ive also seen HEAPS of young ppl driving Zetec's and EVEN Ghia's (usually girls)

Old 02-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Just spent about 30mins at the dealer... i noticed that the new LS is just like the Fiesta... it has hard door trims as well, and dash material isnt as nice as the older model IMO. Also, the gear shift was a little harder and IMO harder to use then the LR 2.0L ZetecR they had there.

Also, with all of those that want leather in a zetec and cant get it... they had a fiesta with leather retrim, and two ZetecRs with retrim as well... i want leather now as well! The finish was really good, and the leather looked factory fit!

Old 02-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #23
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Oh, just noticed that ZFOCUS also had a leather retrim from Doyles in Auburn... ill be paying them a visit!

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/i...ort/zfocus.htm for pics of his interior....

Old 02-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #24
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Doyles come HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended, they're absolutely awesome. I use to sell their trim on our cars through Power Ford and they do a top job, very friendly too.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Doyles come HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended, they're absolutely awesome. I use to sell their trim on our cars through Power Ford and they do a top job, very friendly too.
Awesome. How much did you used to do a car with? Like, prices on a focus?