Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beetus, with all of this advice it must be very confusing, buy the house, pay cash, get the loan, darn it was supposed to be simple.

Well good news it is ( i think ) buy a house with wheels ( a mobile home / camper with trailer , pay half cash and half loan, this way you can cover all bases.

Or theres some good advice given by many ( Feebs post is about on the money for me ), good luck with it all.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
XRQTOR
Banned

Funny part is ive been paying twice the amount of what im supposed off my original xr8 loan yet a few months back they wouldn't loan me another $2o,ooo so i could buy a BF i wanted, went to the commbank and i got approved on the spot and had the money at 9am the next day. Paid the loan out in 3 months.

If you have the means to pay it back comfortablly do it, your only young once.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Funny part is ive been paying twice the amount of what im supposed off my original xr8 loan yet a few months back they wouldn't loan me another $2o,ooo so i could buy a BF i wanted, went to the commbank and i got approved on the spot and had the money at 9am the next day. Paid the loan out in 3 months.
Holy smoke mate, correct me if I'm wrong but thats over $6000 a month!! Thats more than what I get gross per month!! I should ask for a pay rise
Old 04-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Holy smoke mate, correct me if I'm wrong but thats over $6000 a month!! Thats more than what I get gross per month!! I should ask for a pay rise
That BF was an investment, i bought it to make money hence why i sold it so quick. I never even got to drive it either as i lost my licence......

A payrise would be nice but i don't see one coming any time soon.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate seriously with the amount of dosh your earning $30k should be easily saved as I'm guessing you are living at home.

Nothing feels better than working your butt off and being rewarded later.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

my bro got 29k loan at 18 last year to buy a BAXR8 easy, and he didnt have any form of credit rating
Old 04-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

as soon as i sell the mr2 i think ill go for it...............i miss my fords.............ahhh the old ed v8 a bit slow that 1 was lol
Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

its only an au xr8 ute.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
its only an au xr8 ute.
great input u helped alot
Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetus
great input u helped alot
All Im saying is getting a 30k loan, for mainly the ute, isnt worth it...
Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

do you live at home?

Old 04-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
mongoloid
chuck miller ford texas

Buying cars out right with cash is not always the smartest way to go.
Spending cash to buy an asset that will most certainly depreciate is not a good move. You should use your cash to make money, ie safe investments. You should use your income to service your debt. This is not my opinion btw, its a commonly held view shared by buisiness and individuals. This is especially the case if your company allows salary sacrifice on things other than your super.
1918 Buick, 1930 Studebaker, 1953 Ford Crestline, 1955 Buick Special, 1957 Cadillac, 1962 Cadillac, 1963 Ford Galaxie, 1966 Ford Fairlane, 1971 Chevelle, 1979 Trans Am, 2002 Ford TE50, 2005 CV8 Monaro, 2010 G6e Turbo, 2014 FPV GT-F
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoloid
Buying cars out right with cash is not always the smartest way to go.
Spending cash to buy an asset that will most certainly depreciate is not a good move. You should use your cash to make money, ie safe investments. You should use your income to service your debt. This is not my opinion btw, its a commonly held view shared by buisiness and individuals. This is especially the case if your company allows salary sacrifice on things other than your super.
Thank you a voice of reason....finally.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I'm still saving money for chicks and booze. And I'm 36.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You only live once, borrow to the hilt get the best car you can and enjoy your life or do what everyone else is saying don’t borrow money and save for a house The former sounds more fun.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I Know Someone 32 who got married and got diagnosed with a terminal Brain tumor 2 weeks later. Mate enjoy your young life, thats what you work for. I know people in there 40's and 50's who have hundreds of thousands laying around and they still live like everyone else and have to work the same as they only get bored otherwise and have also fallen to the common "The more you have the more you want". As long as you are earning super on that high income (for your age especially) you will have tons of dough when you are older.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
I Know Someone 32 who got married and got diagnosed with a terminal Brain tumor 2 weeks later. Mate enjoy your young life, thats what you work for. I know people in there 40's and 50's who have hundreds of thousands laying around and they still live like everyone else and have to work the same as they only get bored otherwise and have also fallen to the common "The more you have the more you want". As long as you are earning super on that high income (for your age especially) you will have tons of dough when you are older.
also a very very wise post . i know people who have incomes over 200k. working 2 jobs and they never give themselves days off . thier kids dont know them . they are tighter than a budgies bum , and miss everything the world can offer m. as soon as they have a day off . they organise some more work . how fun.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you pay off the loan on the van? It's tax deductible.

If you have your heart set on new toys, put the money gained from selling your MR2 towards the new toys and have a smaller personal loan. You really need to see your accountant about this loan/purchase.

I also suspect that you don't earn as much as you think you do. You are taking all of the following into account with your business?
Maintenance
Depreciation
Interest on loan
Work cover
Superannuation
Business insurance
Accounting fees
Book keeping fees
Office expenses
etc
Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #19
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Why would you pay off the loan on the van? It's tax deductible.

If you have your heart set on new toys, put the money gained from selling your MR2 towards the new toys and have a smaller personal loan. You really need to see your accountant about this loan/purchase.

I also suspect that you don't earn as much as you think you do. You are taking all of the following into account with your business?
Maintenance
Depreciation
Interest on loan
Work cover
Superannuation
Business insurance
Accounting fees
Book keeping fees
Office expenses
etc
IM a subcontractor i do all my own stuff, m own bookwork tax the lot, office expenses=nil, work cover business insurance are 150 ish a month, i actually earn like over 5k a month the grand a week is after everything except fuel that i use....... i did accounting and stuff at school im not to bad with it really........i run a bisness im used to that kind of stuff..
Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #20
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetus
IM a subcontractor i do all my own stuff, m own bookwork tax the lot, office expenses=nil, work cover business insurance are 150 ish a month, i actually earn like over 5k a month the grand a week is after everything except fuel that i use....... i did accounting and stuff at school im not to bad with it really........i run a bisness im used to that kind of stuff..
You are paying yourself super? I know a lot of business owners who haven't and it's really bit them in the long run.

Why haven't you included fuel in that figure? Depreciation was the main cost that I was hoping that you had included.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #21
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

If you can do all that i doubt you need the advice of anyone here.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have tried to read your "english" and this is what I have got.

You are an 18 year old self employed person who is sub contracting as a courier.
You have no employees so if you are hurt or are sick you have a BIG problem.
You earn $1000 per week after fuel expenses but have not mentioned if that is after provision for tax.
You have had several loans but is each case you have paid them off early by selling equipment.
You have not saved any money.
You do all your own accounting so there is no outside assurance that it accurate.
You do not have a house or any interest in aquiring one and therefore no collateral.

The reason why you are having difficulty is you are a HUGE RISK with an unsuitable credit history. You have no employement history because you are only 18 and have been doing this job for only a few months.

Lending institutions do NOT want their money back early, they want the interest. They also want to be sure that if it all goes pear shaped they can get their money back from your assets.

You could get hurt/sick/lose your contract/lose your licence/prang your van next week and your income will stop dead with no fallback.

If you change these things the banks will be falling over each other to give you money.

Of course you are generation Y and will not understand or believe this, so good luck with your hunting....
Old 06-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You could get hurt/sick/lose your contract/lose your licence/prang your van next week and your income will stop dead with no fallback.
Another reason why it is good to buy a car outright. If I had of got a loan, I'd well and trully be up **** creek without a paddle since my income has been cut in half.

If I can't afford my car I can just sell it and not have to worry about paying back a loan.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #24
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Another reason why it is good to buy a car outright.
That is a good idea. My mum bought a brand new Focus outright but before she did sshe asked me would it be better getting finance and keeping her cash earning interest on it. I told her that you can earn 6% on the cash but you will be paying close to 13% interest on the loan.

If you dont want to buy a house, fair enough its up to the individuals choice, you seem to be on a very good wage espicially for your age. Why dont you save the cash to pay for the car instead of getting a loan, or maybe even save 15K and get a 15K loan. I was living off $200 a week when I was your age, which was 8 years ago, surely you can save the money.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Boy o boy!!!!, some people really have some mixed priorities in life and some poor coaches along the way. Gen Y, the "must have it all now" generation.
The best thing i ever did was buy my first second hand car with cash i saved working part time, $3000.
It was a cheap modest vehicle but it lasted 7 years, and allowed me to also buy a rental property while i lived at home, to me the rental property repayments were like compulsary savings, i had to repay the load (the rent didnt cover it all), it taught me to manage money, and i used the equity i had in it to buy my first home later on.
People said it was boring and i missed out on holidays away etc... 20 years on i nearly own my own house, have another rental property, my own business and i collect GT Falcons... All my friends who whooped it up spashing their money around when they were young and told me i was boring for doing it my way are still renting to this day and envy my position now.
There's some great advice given in this thread, i hope some of it sticks....

Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #26
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll put my money down that the novelty of the modded XR8 ute will wear off after the first month when insurance, maintenance and possibly fines come into the equation. I've seen it happen to several work mates. The worst thing is, is that if they sell after realising what they've gotten into, there goes at least 3-4 grand depreciation in the space of a couple of months.
30 grand in debt... Maybe if it was a rare classic, but not some disposable 'appliance' such as an AU, or any modern car.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #27
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly don't understand the problem here - you boast about clearing $1000 a week yet you need a loan to buy a $20K car? Sit your a$$ down, manage your money properly and before you know it you'll be able to buy the car you want outright in 8 or 9 months time. If i was in your situation i'd be doing things a little differently by leasing a work van and writting it all off on tax.

In regards to buying a house you do understand that you'll need to do it sooner or later don't you? These days $350K buys you something decent in most cities.. in 10 years time that figure will be $500K. Don't know about you but i'd much prefer paying interest on $350K..
Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #28
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
I honestly don't understand the problem here - you boast about clearing $1000 a week yet you need a loan to buy a $20K car? Sit your a$$ down, manage your money properly and before you know it you'll be able to buy the car you want outright in 8 or 9 months time. If i was in your situation i'd be doing things a little differently by leasing a work van and writting it all off on tax.

In regards to buying a house you do understand that you'll need to do it sooner or later don't you? These days $350K buys you something decent in most cities.. in 10 years time that figure will be $500K. Don't know about you but i'd much prefer paying interest on $350K..
Mate, you have to be earning alot more than $1000 a week to buy a decent house in or around perth these days. The average house price for perth these days is something like over $450 000. You have to be a complete idiote to buy a house here at the moment.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
Old 07-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best thing i did was buy property as soon as i could, and as a priority over having toys. toys and luxury items can come after property.
If people don't get themselves into property of some form (own or investment) by the time they're around 25 they're going to make life very hard for themsleves later on, the longer you delay it the harder its going to get, unless of course they have an above average source of income...

Old 07-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The best thing i did was buy property as soon as i could, and as a priority over having toys. toys and luxury items can come after property.
If people don't get themselves into property of some form (own or investment) by the time they're around 25 they're going to make life very hard for themsleves later on, the longer you delay it the harder its going to get, unless of course they have an above average source of income...
I bought toy before house ;) I can sell it later on to contribute towards a deposit and all things going good I should finish school this year and start earning good money.

All else fails I can still bludge it up at home :
Closed Thread