Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default school me on XR5-turbo

Hi guys,

Haven't ventured into this area of the forum before, so go easy on me

Just hoping that you may be able to shed some light on the XR5 turbo for me.

Essentially:

- how are they to own (generic question #1)

- what is the performance like?

- what is the fuel economy like (both when going hard and taking it easy)

- common problems, reasons for getting a particular year over another.

- general price range

Sorry for posting such a generic thread, but hoping there is plenty of information incoming

Dave.

Old 14-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Well, in short. They're comfortable, practical, a hoot to drive and sound slightly reminicent of audi's quattro S1 Evo2 group B rally car... Well, close enough for me anyway. (YouTube it if you've never heard it)

Mine averages about 11L / 100km. Mostly crappy traffic driving with the occasional 'hey, no ones looking' and tromp it behavior.

It's a surprsingly good long distance traveller too. Although lack of cruise control puts a lt of people off and makes them give up on life and libido and buy a gti golf *icky*

performace is a subjective matter. 160 odd kw (roughly 135-140 at the wheels) might sound a bit lacking but let your trusty butt-dyno make that call. I believe the 320ish norms of torque might be responsible for that.

Oh and the exhaust pops (bangs if you try hard enough) make you feel like a real lout too!!

The only reoccuring issue I've heard is some slack in the driveshafts caused I think by a poor fitting yoke. It's not really an issue though, I haven't heard of any breaking (deffinatley not in a stock car anyway) you'll BBQ a clutch before that happens.
They just clunk a little under initial load. Fords (and volvos) solution is to glue them in... Not an absolute fix tho.

Buying a used one, I'd look at an LT over an LS as the earler model had a smaller intercooler and suffers a little in our summers. Alternativley, an aftermarket IC will fix that.

Get on fordxr5turbo.com and get talking to other owners. Those boys know their cars back to front.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

brilliant, thanks for that reply Tj

keep the info coming
Old 14-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've test driven one. What I noticed was that its a hell of a lot better handling than a FG XR6T. Better ride comfort than a falcon. But noiser than a falcon. Also its fairly zippy for a little car.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

They actually have an "acoustic tube" (???....through the firewall I think) that transmits engine sound into the cabin. That's why you hear more engine noise
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
They actually have an "acoustic tube" (???....through the firewall I think) that transmits engine sound into the cabin. That's why you hear more engine noise
Na this was just normal road noise (i.e. when the engine was not revved, almost at idle). It was more noisey than a Falcon. But, then again, the Falcon is very quiet.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Tj-zetec

No, Steve's actually right.

It's called a 'symposer'.

And it's sole purpose is to, using acoustic transduction (a fancy way of saying 'like putting a glass against a door, and putting your ear on the other end) it sends sounds of the engine into the cabin. I believe it's outlet is at the base of the windscreen infront of the driver.
I also believe the Focus is the first car to use the technology.

It's supposed to eliminate higher frequency turbo whistle and replace it with a big, beefy, hairy-chested growl.

Sounds naff, but it works.

Having said that, I get a fair bit of road noise in mine, but i think the Continental tyres might be the cause of that issue. But they're not a bad tyre so that's the trade off i guess.

What a lot of guys on the xr5 forum do is get the rear resonator (the last muffler) removed and replaced with a glass packed hotdog muffler or just a straight through length of pipe.

I'm yet to hear one in the flesh, but it reportedly helps to 'announce your arrival' a little better. :sm_headba
Cheap mod too, most places will put the straight through pipe in for about $50.

The car could really use an LSD though, i think you can get em for about $1500. If (read: when) i start throwing money at this car i might start with that rather than fiddly little mods to squeeze a few more neddies out of it.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 14-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

There is a few models that came with no rear power windows. Late LS I think.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

awesome info coming out guys! thanks very much appreciate it a lot
Old 14-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Tj-zetec

Uhh, the issue some early models not having power rear windows was a quality control problem that was usualy fixed under warranty. The main problem was that a lot of owners assumed it was correct in not having them.
It was only the poor chumps that missed out on power rears AND didn't even have manual winders that figured out something was wrong

Old 16-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
Uhh, the issue some early models not having power rear windows was a quality control problem that was usualy fixed under warranty. The main problem was that a lot of owners assumed it was correct in not having them.
It was only the poor chumps that missed out on power rears AND didn't even have manual winders that figured out something was wrong
haha that's amazing. how could they have missed that?

the XR5 is made in germany isn't it?
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
haha that's amazing. how could they have missed that?

the XR5 is made in germany isn't it?
I think we blamed Octoberfest :P :baby bott :baby bott :baby bott : :
Old 16-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Tj-zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
I think we blamed Octoberfest :P :baby bott :baby bott :baby bott : :
HAH!, I think it was eventualy narrowed down to a particular build month(s) so it is possible

Old 16-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
melbzetec

SgtBourne, you may also be interested to note that there are a lot of performance packages about, including the one that catchs my eye, the Mountune package.

The package is very affordable, sold through UK Ford Dealers, and apparently impressive results. There are bigger performance packages available, but what I read suggests this package gives a 'next level" performance whilst retaining the smoothness and reliability of factory trim

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...c9&area=videos
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 17-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Mountune Over Ggr Ftw

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that info melb, appreciate it

Is there any components that most owners usually modify straight away?

i.e with my XR8 the brakes were woeful, so that was the first thing to receive some attention.

Also suspension is pretty terrible (body roll) so that was 2nd on the list.

Any such issues with the xr5t?
Old 18-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Hey SgtBourne, just took delivery of our 09 xr5 on tuesday, all i have to say is test drive one and you will be VERY impressed.

Brakes are very good standard compared to a ba/f.
ours is stock out the box and it handles very well, i have thrown it into corners and you dont move in your seat much , it is a very immpresive car.
There are few little bits and pieces but nothing major.

Test drive one and you will be bitten by the 5.

Cheers Mick.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
MR_LON
ORSMT5

G'day SgtBourne,
most people start with either putting a good set of springs (Eibachs, H&R) or 1 of the various flash tunes (Dreamscience, Blufin, Code Red). the Mountune package is ment to be quite good but it's not available in Aus, it is sold through UK ford dealers as a upgrade package that doesn't affect the warranty.

as pointed out in an early post visit http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/forum/in...p?action=forum
there is a mountain of info there, you might even be able to get 1 of the sydney guys to show you what the car is like.
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_LON
the Mountune package is ment to be quite good but it's not available in Aus, it is sold through UK ford dealers as a upgrade package that doesn't affect the warranty.
Surely that doesn't stop someone importing one?

Old 22-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
Gianluca

That's awesome info guys. I hopped in this forum to ask the same question and it sounds like I will have a second Ford in the garage soon. Flog the Terry Turbo to the Mrs (she won't give it back anyway) and looks like XR5 here I come.

Only one question: what's the servicing costs like? I've done 70K in less than 2 years with the TT and I can't complain about the running costs. Is the XR5 the same?

07 Terry Turbo with dints thanks to HER...
Gianluca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:12 PM   #21
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad to see i could help others

now only problem is finding one it would seem.
Old 22-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #22
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A couple of other common mods are cold air intake as the stock airbox is very restrictive. CAI also improved my fuel economy (from 11.9 to 10.5 over the space of a month). Some people are fitting bigger rear sway bars to help with high speed cornering.

I'm getting one fitted tomorrow so I'll see how that goes and report back.

Another thing - try not to get one with Goodyear Excellence tyres - they are woeful :

My advice would be to take one for a test drive. I was hooked after my first drive.

Good Luck
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne

There's 14 LV's on Carsales and quite a few of the early LS/LT. Stay clear of those models. LV has some nice new features and styling.

I had an LS, and had no end of trouble. Spending weeks in the shop at a time. I had gearbox troubles from new. I only had 300k's on the clock when the the car kept jumping out of 6th gear, and it took battles with ford to replace it and finally at about 25,000 k's they did. Took that long for them to finally acknowledge it need replacing. Then the engine came off the mounts one day while I was driving it. That was the last straw. Especially a few days out from Christmas, and we were left stranded without a car over Christmas. Not what I want in a new car. Mine also had squeaks and rattles and seat base continually cracked.

I hated my car. But I did think it was a fantastic car and the problems I had I wasn't going to let deter me from another. In the end, I traded on a Mondeo XR5. No where near the charm. It's not as cranky, no engine groan in the cabin, no boost guages, not as quick or as exciting to drive, no torque steer and no trouble. It's more refined which I think sometimes takes away from the character of a car. I've done nearly 7,000 and it has been faultless. Given it's the same running gear as the Focus, proves they arn't all bad apples.

I would still love another Focus XR5. In white with Stripes. They are a pleasure to drive, when not in the shop for a week each time. ing_sm But I love the Mondeo for the space, finish and it's reliability. Plus the seats in the focus were too small for me and I didn't like the restrictive feel.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #24
Gianluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne

I have been contemplating it for a while and a couple of days ago I saw a demo model with all the goodies at the local dealer. Didn't have time to take it for a spin but it got me thinking. I am also looking at the Golf GTi.

Anyway, thanks.

Old 26-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #25
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well u were all correct. took one for a drive and fell in love...

should have a pleasing update soon
Old 26-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #26
Tj-zetec

Another one converted!

Old 27-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
There's 14 LV's on Carsales and quite a few of the early LS/LT. Stay clear of those models. LV has some nice new features and styling.

I had an LS, and had no end of trouble. Spending weeks in the shop at a time. I had gearbox troubles from new. I only had 300k's on the clock when the the car kept jumping out of 6th gear, and it took battles with ford to replace it and finally at about 25,000 k's they did. Took that long for them to finally acknowledge it need replacing. Then the engine came off the mounts one day while I was driving it. That was the last straw. Especially a few days out from Christmas, and we were left stranded without a car over Christmas. Not what I want in a new car. Mine also had squeaks and rattles and seat base continually cracked.

I hated my car. But I did think it was a fantastic car and the problems I had I wasn't going to let deter me from another. In the end, I traded on a Mondeo XR5. No where near the charm. It's not as cranky, no engine groan in the cabin, no boost guages, not as quick or as exciting to drive, no torque steer and no trouble. It's more refined which I think sometimes takes away from the character of a car. I've done nearly 7,000 and it has been faultless. Given it's the same running gear as the Focus, proves they arn't all bad apples.

I would still love another Focus XR5. In white with Stripes. They are a pleasure to drive, when not in the shop for a week each time. ing_sm But I love the Mondeo for the space, finish and it's reliability. Plus the seats in the focus were too small for me and I didn't like the restrictive feel.
hey Bucknaked, i think you were one of the unlucky people that have ended up with a bad XR5, i've had mine for over 3 years, done motorkhanas, track days, spirited cruises & drags with mine & it's never missed a beat.
the only thing to look for if you were to buy a LS/LT would be the mid to late 07 models as some of these came without the rear power windows (the majority have been retro fitted) & also they came with crappy clutch plate compound (this was only in the cars from this period), there have even been some LV's with problems
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
Old 27-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Surely that doesn't stop someone importing one?
well it may not be impossable but seeing as it is a fitted at dealer option/upgrade it makes it a hell of a lot more difficult. i haven't heard of anywhere just selling the package for the customer to fit
Old 27-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #29
SCXR5T
Aka.Barnesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_LON
hey Bucknaked, i think you were one of the unlucky people that have ended up with a bad XR5, i've had mine for over 3 years, done motorkhanas, track days, spirited cruises & drags with mine & it's never missed a beat.
the only thing to look for if you were to buy a LS/LT would be the mid to late 07 models as some of these came without the rear power windows (the majority have been retro fitted) & also they came with crappy clutch plate compound (this was only in the cars from this period), there have even been some LV's with problems
Definately a disgruntled ford employee built your XR5 bud...

We have seen nothing like this in our dealership and we have sold over 60 of these little rockets to date....

I only see XR5 owners at their 15k services, unlike XR6 owners every month....New diff bushes every 30000k's,Broken bonnet cables, Broken Window regs, Broken Door actuators, Diif Whines etc etc....The list goes on...
SCXR5T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #30
Gianluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCXR5T
Definately a disgruntled ford employee built your XR5 bud...

We have seen nothing like this in our dealership and we have sold over 60 of these little rockets to date....

I only see XR5 owners at their 15k services, unlike XR6 owners every month....New diff bushes every 30000k's,Broken bonnet cables, Broken Window regs, Broken Door actuators, Diif Whines etc etc....The list goes on...
That's answered my question about reliability...