Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Some reflections on intakes: LS-LT Focus

This thread is inspired by and made to accompany Melbzetec’s thread: Some reflections on intakes. LR Focus

Here are several options that I have experimented with or are popular here on the forums:

1. Panel filter upgrade:

Aftermarket options are available from K&N (Part# 33-2877) or BMC (Part#FB318/01)
Pros: looks stock, small hp gains expected, last longer than factory filter
Cons: Airflow into airbox is still restricted.

2. Panel filter + intake resonator (lower airbox) removal:

There are already posts on this by:
Black LS (good instructions)
Trenchtractor (good pics)

Once the restrictive lower airbox has been removed, I would recommend routing some cold air piping into the bottom of the upper airbox, leading to higher airflow through your new panel filter.
Pros: still looks stock, more cold air into upper airbox, can still be returned to stock
Cons: stock upper airbox and intake hose may not be optimal for higher power / higher flow

3. K&N 57i Intake:
(Part #57-0595)

Installation instruction (.pdf)

Pros: high-flow, reusable filter, solid (non-ribbed) intake tube, awesome induction roar, incorporates factory crankcase breather system, reusable filter, can be imported cheaply from UK (ebay!)
Cons: open pod filter in engine bay = hot air intake. I have found it performs very poorly in the Australian summer – potential for power loss rather than gain! Exposed, oiled pod filters may be illegal in your state.

4. BMC CDA (Carbon Dynamic Airbox):

The CDA is a high-flow filter, enclosed in a cylindrical carbon fibre airbox. The carbon fibre not only looks great but also shields the filter from the heat of the engine bay. The included cold air feed pipe can be attached to the intake side of the airbox, making it a true CAI system.

The CDA comes in 2 sizes:
Type 1 (70-130) is for engines up to 1600cc
Type 2 (85-150) is for engines above 1600cc

I would strongly recommend the Fiesta ST150 / XR4 CDA kit (Part#CDASP-08), which is a modified version of the CDA85-150 unit – whilst still designed for a 2.0 Duratec engine, it is slightly smaller in length than the standard unit, giving you more room to attach a cold air feed within our cramped engine bay. You will also need a silicone hose to attach the filter up to our throttle body (BMC recommends Part# SASE13570). Here is the Fiesta unit fitted, silicone intake hose attached:

Each CDA comes with some bracket supplies to mount the airbox in the engine bay.

The CDA has no plumbing for the engine breather system, so you will need to install a little crankcase breather filter as well. I am told this may be illegal in some states so this must also be considered.

Pros: A true CAI, great induction sound, solid bolt-on HP, reusable filter, underb bonnet bling
Cons: price ($$$), universal fit, requires crankcase breather filter, custom work required to mount bracket , legality?

5. K&N Apollo

Like the BMC unit, the K&N Apollo is also a universal CAI system. However, these can be had for a lot cheaper in Australia (you can pick up a new one for <$200). Compared to the CDA, these are a smaller unit, so they fit well in our engine bay.

The Apollo units also come with plumbing options for the engine breather system (no mini-breather filters required). This, and the fact that they are fully enclosed, means that they are 100% street legal.

Attachment to our throttle body is easy. All you need is a 70mm silicone hose, with a 90 degree elbow.

Pros: street legal, compact but high flowing unit (up to 250hp N/A), cheaper than the CDA, reusable filter, true CAI
Cons: will have to let you know if I come across any!

(I have picked up a cheap Apollo and I am going to fit it soon and try it out. My CDA is not going to waste – and probably going to a good home – my mate’s Golf GTI)

DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I can put in my 2c worth;
I upgraded to the 57i intake a few months after buying the car - and havn't regretted it.
Very quick to install - throatey sound, and a noticable increase in power around 3-3500 rpm.
Have put a plastic cover around it stop it taking in too much hot air - a better cover though would prob be better!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Too right - I think any type of head-shielding is going to greatly help out that K&N 57i.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Is that apollo unit new? Havn't seen that before.
How much smaller is the filter that you know of? Wonder if you can buy the cover seperate...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 03-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen them on ebay for under $200.

The Apollo cover won't fit the 57i pod filter. The Apollo filter is almost triangular in shape inside.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
casabonka
You can call me Chris

hmm tempting... but with a wedding being planned I'd be shot if i mentioned spending cash... (would be cheaper though) hahah!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha just put an Apollo on the bridal registry!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Brilliant thread timing. I've been thinking over the last couple of days of doing an air intake upgrade of some kind, and had been contemplating posting up a thread regarding it.

Thanks for the thread though, after reading through I think the Apollo might be the way to go for me. Especially with the drag nationals coming up in June ;)
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do it!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Is it just a K&N Apollo, or is there a specific model number for one to fit the Focus?

Sorry, just get paranoid with things like this that I'm gonna buy one that doesn't fit!
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 03-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're all the same size. The Apollo comes in blue, red, silver or black. The one I picked up was black, I'm happy with it since it will suit the engine bay.

BTW, you'll need some 12mm (internal diameter) silicone hose to plumb the crankcase breather line into the Apollo. There are also some 90deg 70mm silicone hoses on ebay with short leg lengths (50mm length) which will suit our engine bay perfectly.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Maybe I should just go somewhere to someone who knows what they're doing, tell them what I want and pay for parts & labour together :P
Quote:
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #13
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Brilliant thread DZ. Serious respect for the work you put into this.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #14
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It isn't that hard at all!

Before you start, disconnet the negative terminal from your battery (leaving it off for a while will reset your ECU). You'll need to remove the stock intake hose and upper and lower airboxes (see panel filter + intake resonator section above), then just fit the 70mm silicone hose onto the throttle body, fit other end to the apollo, and secure with a couple of hose clamps. Route and secure your cold air intake pipe behind the front bumper, on the passenger side (cable ties work well). Next, cut the breather line (will be hanging free - gets pulled out of the original upper airbox), attach some 12mm silicone hose to it, then attach the other end of the silicone hose into the Apollo, using the 1/2 inch adaptor supplied by K&N in the kit. Then, connect your battery back up and away you go!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Brilliant thread DZ. Serious respect for the work you put into this.
I saw your original thread and thought I could chip in my bit as well.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Conquest_Tsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
It isn't that hard at all!

Before you start, disconnet the negative terminal from your battery (leaving it off for a while will reset your ECU). You'll need to remove the stock intake hose and upper and lower airboxes (see panel filter + intake resonator section above), then just fit the 70mm silicone hose onto the throttle body, fit other end to the apollo, and secure with a couple of hose clamps. Route and secure your cold air intake pipe behind the front bumper, on the passenger side (cable ties work well). Next, cut the breather line (will be hanging free - gets pulled out of the original upper airbox), attach some 12mm silicone hose to it, then attach the other end of the silicone hose into the Apollo, using the 1/2 inch adaptor supplied by K&N in the kit. Then, connect your battery back up and away you go!
Are you able to post some pics of the process and end result when you can?

Sounds like a great setup, how does it go compared to stock?
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Now I'm considering investing in an Apollo for my TDCi, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that lower airbox so it should just go straight into the turbo correct?

Only thing is that the turbo is right down the back of the engine so I have no idea how that hose would reach. Another option is attaching it to the stock hose which already has a big diameter.

What do you reckon DZ? Good job with the thread!

Here is a pic:

http://ignition.my/wp-content/upload...dci_engine.jpg

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Now I'm considering investing in an Apollo for my TDCi, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have that lower airbox so it should just go straight into the turbo correct?

Only thing is that the turbo is right down the back of the engine so I have no idea how that hose would reach. Another option is attaching it to the stock hose which already has a big diameter.

What do you reckon DZ? Good job with the thread!

Here is a pic:

http://ignition.my/wp-content/upload...dci_engine.jpg
Code:RED does a similar intake for the TDCI, looks the exact same, but yes how would you get to the turbo? Its between the firewall and the engine, bastard location. Thats whats holding me back.

http://codered-chiptuning.de/uk/shop...b76773c41ce2aa
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #19
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here are some pics of my new Apollo setup. Initial impressions: pulls pretty hard (probably due to massive cold air feed hose), fits perfectly in our engine bay (almost like it was designed for our car), sounds great. I have a feeling at the BMC unit may flow at a higher rate but may not be as good down low / mid range. Also, since the Apollo is not carbon fibre, it may not protect the filter as well from engine bay heat.

PS If anyone bags my dirty engine bay I'll be angry!

Cold air feed: passenger side front bumper

Crankcase breather line (used a 12mm silicone hose)

As for those asking about fitting a similar setup onto the TCDi, I couldn't recommend it any higher. I think I would fit the filter with a 90deg silicone hose, as Code:Red have done:
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #20
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And if you wanted to go all out...BMC have a CDA kit for the TDCI Focus, part number: ACCDASP-22 and the recommended silicone hose is SASE9080

Old 12-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
Conquest_Tsi

Enough interest for a group purchase of the apollo?
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #22
trento
Audiophile

Great thread! I'm considering an Apollo for my Fez but have to work out how to mount the MAF as atm the holder is a part of the airbox lid. The 57i kit comes with a holder, any idea if the apollo does???

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #23
casabonka
You can call me Chris

went to do the fortnightly under bonnet check today before a 250km round trip to find my filter had come out of the elbow pipe... not sure how long or how it happened.
i did notice my average fuel go up by 2l....
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 13-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #24
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
And if you wanted to go all out...BMC have a CDA kit for the TDCI Focus, part number: ACCDASP-22 and the recommended silicone hose is SASE9080

It looks like the silicone hose on that is a lot larger in diameter than the Apollo so I'm thinking it may be more suitable since it was designed for the TDCi, looks very similar to the Code: Red one.

Where do you purchase BMCs? I can't find many on eBay.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Old 13-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=790

Comes in Carbon Fibre as well, but isn;t that just something flashy or does it actually have a purposE?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #26
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
It looks like the silicone hose on that is a lot larger in diameter than the Apollo so I'm thinking it may be more suitable since it was designed for the TDCi, looks very similar to the Code: Red one.

Where do you purchase BMCs? I can't find many on eBay.
I got mine from Regal's Motorsport UK. Here is the TDCI kit: http://www.regals-motorsport.co.uk/f...05-p-4657.html
You can also email Regal's for a special order for the BMC silicone hoses (branded as TKX) - if I recall correctly, Regal's do not stock the hoses. According to the BMC catalogue http://www.tuningtools.be/bmc/cat.pdf you need SASE9080, and it may have to be reduced in length.
Old 13-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Comes in Carbon Fibre as well, but isn;t that just something flashy or does it actually have a purposE?
BMC: "...carbon has low thermal conductivity allowing insulation from the engine heat to the aspirated air"
Old 14-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #28
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
I got mine from Regal's Motorsport UK. Here is the TDCI kit: http://www.regals-motorsport.co.uk/f...05-p-4657.html
You can also email Regal's for a special order for the BMC silicone hoses (branded as TKX) - if I recall correctly, Regal's do not stock the hoses. According to the BMC catalogue http://www.tuningtools.be/bmc/cat.pdf you need SASE9080, and it may have to be reduced in length.

Interesting, thanks.

It's not cheap when compared to the Apollo, but you usually get what you pay for. Another question, what's the deal with this crankcase breather thing? What is it?

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Old 14-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #29
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a good guide to crankcase ventilation: http://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-gu...er-system.html

I am not sure about the TDCI ventilation system and whether or not you'll need to re-plumb the lines or not. It is probably worth emailing BMC and Code:Red about, unless someone else on here already knows.
Old 17-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #30
nissky
Starter Motor

Default Re: Some reflections on intakes: LS-LT Focus

Just bought a 2008 LT and i mighty impressed overall

Quick question.... how much noisier is it with just the intake resonator removed?
Is it a nice intake growl, or is it an annoying reverberation....the missus
needs to drive the car toooo ;p
nissky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post