Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Fed up Owner sells new Focus....

I was talking to a new model Focus owner the other day who has just sold his Focus after getting fed up with Ford and quality issues.

Basically it was the same story as a number of people on here have posted- poor quality and poor service. Things like panel alignment, trim problems, paint barely there in places, engine problems etc. Then on top of that Ford did more damage when repairing damaged items.

The dealer apparently told him if he wanted a good paint job then he should have bought a Mercedes!?!

One of the final straws was an issue with a sensor module for the ECU. The engine was cutting out and dying intermittently and then going into some sort of limp home mode limiting the max speed to 80km/h. I forget what part caused it, but it wasn't available in Australia and was on backorder (ie. couple of weeks wait!)

The guy lost over $6000 but said he is glad to be rid of it. He started legal proceedings (Trade Practices Commission IIRC?) but got fed up.

What a joke- get your act together Ford!

Old 01-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Mate that is absolutely appalling! I can’t believe they made that remark about buying a Merc instead. It seems that some Ford staff are resorting to being smart ***** when confronted by dissatisfied customers. I was just reading a post on the UK focus forum in which a guy who had similar problems with his focus was sarcastically asked by Ford if he realised "that his car was assembled on a production line and not hand built"? That sort of arrogant, patronising comment would make my blood boil!

I mean we’re not expecting perfection, just some semblance of build quality. It is a shame that your mate was unable to pursue the matter any further, as he quite obviously deserves some compensation. An even bigger shame is that the Focus is an absolutely brilliant car, with class leading dynamics and ride quality, but if reports like this keep circulating, people are bound to be put off. I really hope I don’t have any issues when my XR5 arrives, coz after 6 months of waiting, I’ll be in no mood for smart remarks from Ford!
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they don't take the owners of the cheaper cars seriously. Who would they rather lay out the red carpet for. The Focus LS owner, or the GT-P owner. I have no doubt that preferred service goes to the man with the most expensive car. I think we rate very lowley on their customner service.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was seriously considering a Focus for either the wife or my next car (hmm... XR5!); but there's no way I'd touch one after the things I've read and been told. I've bought new cars like that before (that spend more time in getting repaired than driven) and simply don't need that.

So, driving pleasure will have to give way to reliability in this household.... :(
I'd much rather risk buying a Korean car over the South African alternative.

BTW, how are Focus owners going with getting problems fixed ie. if you've got issues do they tend to drag on and get frustrating- like the Mercedes paint comment above? Or does the car go in once and then it's fixed?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I think they don't take the owners of the cheaper cars seriously. Who would they rather lay out the red carpet for. The Focus LS owner, or the GT-P owner. I have no doubt that preferred service goes to the man with the most expensive car. I think we rate very lowley on their customner service.
Sorry guys. I once had a series 3 TE50. Over $70,000 worth. (Brembo's, the lot)

Got treated like ИИИИ. Treated like anyone else (I thought I'd be special)
Fuel pump wouldn't work properly for 18 months. "It's a design problem. They're working on it". No attention to detail.

On the other hand I also own an Audi A4. The difference in service standards is enormous. The Ford guys just don't have the customer service experience.

BUT, AND THIS IS A BIG BUT.............trying comparing the cost of an Audi Service to a Ford service. You'd choke on the Audi costs.

Pay peanuts, get monkey's
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
BTW, how are Focus owners going with getting problems fixed ie. if you've got issues do they tend to drag on and get frustrating- like the Mercedes paint comment above? Or does the car go in once and then it's fixed?
Seems that the early-build cars were the problems (a familiar story with Australian-built cars); mine is a June build, and after some initial dealer incompetence fixing two matters, it's been good as gold.

I'd buy another one without hesitation - the inherent European design quality is brilliant.

You're kidding yourself if you think buying a Korean car is a guarantee of trouble-free motoring. If you're after boring, why not get a Corolla - they're made in South Africa, too!
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

That is really shocking. I have had the same issues with the service for the Fiesta. Getting told i bent a screw that holds the spare wheel.... HOW COULD I BEND IT?! It's so freaking big! Ford service is really shocking. Honestly, they have to get their act together. If there was a Ford service department where i can pay a little extra, and be treated like royalty and get my car washed too... I'd be there.

Two examples of good service:

1. Rick Damelian Honda - you pay alot for the service, but they are outstanding. The detail:
- They wash the car (sometimes vacuumed)
- Put chocolates on the dash
- Also give you a courtesy call to inform you the car is ready - or if there is a problem (Ford didnt do that to me - they put it on the receipt that i would need to pay $500 to get a broken part fixed. They didn't bother to ask if I wanted it fixed while the car was there!).
- They also send you an SMS update during the day, and also a reminder when your car is due for service!

2. Mini; My cousin bought a Mini Cooper S Cabrio with JCW Kit. On the day he went to pick the Mini up from the dealer, he took his friend with him, who drove a crap 1989 Laser. Now, off course my cousin's friend didn't want to drive back to wollongong alone behind the Mini. So they offered to:
- Keep the Laser over night
- Refuel the car (Laser and Mini, which would need to come back the next day to get the Laser)
- Wash and detail the car!

Then when he returned to leave the car 1 month later for the JCW kit to be installed - he was given a 6sp Manual 120i with full option list for 2 days. Now that was freaking insane! However, they screwed something up, so a week later he brought the Mini Back, and they appologised and gave him a 530i to have!

NOW THAT IS SERVICE! It wasn't even a Mini or BMW... and they still looked after it!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Focituner

Thats awesome man, it reminds me of my dealership here in the States. Maaybe not as glamorous but definintely respectful of what people feel about there cars. I was having problems with my tranny and so the dealership had me take a mechaninc with me on a test drive. next thing I knew i had a new tranny no questions asked. They even told to mod my car more because they loved what i did with it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
FocusLX06

People tend to voice their opinions more when something is wrong with the car. You won't hear many people telling you how great it is, because they are probably out driving now
Old 04-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
73MTU

i only picked my new focus up on saturday last week and there are a few little things i'm not happy about, just little things like loose fittings and stuff but there is one major one i'm not impressed with. when the car is parked on an angle it wont start straight away it takes a few turns before it fires. so i'm takin it back on wednesday and i'll see how we go.
i'll let u know on the outcome.
73MTU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck 73MTU.

I was just reading Wheels mag Car of the Year and they gave the Focus a quite good write up.

I wonder how good the report would be if they got one straight from the dealer as a long term test car? That's the only problem with car reviews, they don't usually have to live with the car long term.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
RATT

The magazines do pick them up from a dealer.

Without calling anyones bluff, I find it almost unbelievable that a service/sales department employee would say "if he wanted a good paint job then he should have bought a Mercedes!?!". If true, the person should be banned from any service/sales related role in the motor trade.

I think the matter should have been pushed further with Ford before the car was sold. Persistance always pays off, because considering the mentioned issues Ford would normally take them very seriously and try and fix the problem.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #13
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure of the time period that this person owned the Focus, but do know it had around 10000km on it when sold. So it wouldn't appear that they just gave up at the first sign of trouble.

I had some issues with my dealer and damage done during the pre delivery of my Mondeo ST24 bought in 2000. I ended up contacting Ford HQ and lodging complaints- their attitude was that the way their dealer behaved had nothing to do with them!? So, perhaps this problem goes all the way to the top?

I also got stuffed around with a central locking problem- constantly stalled with getting it fixed for months and told it was a wiring problem and Ford were looking into it. Anyway, one day I was in at the dealer and they let me look through the factory workshop manuals for some info I was after. I discovered what the fault was myself - the central locking was programmed incorrectly from the factory. It's sad when you can diagnose the problem yourself and the "experts" have no idea and don't give a rats. I then had to take my car to another dealer because they didn't even have the necessary diagnostic tool to reprogram it!?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #14
warbo
Starter Motor

Default my 2c

It's just Fords attitude to most things I think. Great cars just let down by terrible service. My Foci goes back several times until they repair whatever is wrong with it, often damaging something else in the meantime. It's typical Ford and it's quiet simple.....they do not care.... If you have a $70k GT or a 14K Fiesta, it's all the same. Hence when I went out to buy another car picked up a second hand BMW, much better service, but as mentioned before it costs more. Last service 60k had the Foci done at the BMW dealership, cost $80 more than at Ford, but everything fixed, serviced, the first time. Funny bout that.
warbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 10:00 PM   #15
buickman
buickman

Never had any problems with my wifes SP20 or Mazdas service in just over 3 years. I gather there would be Focus owners the same.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I love my service department... ROCK ON! A guy always looked after my car - then one day I had someone else looking at it for a warranty repair. Was explaining how things were my fault etc. I ended up calling the guy that looked after my car before, and he appologised and said it wouldn't happen again. So, at the moment they are being great to me. Only one fault so far... they failed to mention a broken window clip worth $500 till i picked up the car. So, poor marks there, but their service in general is good. Receptionist even knows my name

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 11-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #17
dazza_1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73MTU
i only picked my new focus up on saturday last week and there are a few little things i'm not happy about, just little things like loose fittings and stuff but there is one major one i'm not impressed with. when the car is parked on an angle it wont start straight away it takes a few turns before it fires. so i'm takin it back on wednesday and i'll see how we go.
i'll let u know on the outcome.
how did you get on with this mine does the exact same thing ... i took it back they reloaded the software or some rubbish and it still does it. and i am just sick and tired of taking it to my ford dealer because they are all useless in there everytime it goes in with a problem it comes out with the same problem. my stereo doesnt work properly with the radio .... aparently they dont have the tools to get it out... a couple of panels on the car are slightly out of align.. they told me they bent them back.. but they looked absolutely no different!!!... the engine started making a ticking noise... after about 5 guys looking at it they decided it just needed some lube on the belt... suprise suprise when i got back in the car it still made it so took it back straight away then they told me it needed a new belt somewhere and they would call me when they part came in .... 6 weeks later and still havent heard from them, although i think i have worn the ticking out now but still they are useless.
dazza_1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #18
guym

Well I can do better than most, car went in for 75,000 klm service and told them that when I turn the aircon on the tempature guage goes down, if I leave the aircon off everything ok. They say now worries, get car back at end of day and they say yes fixed the problem was a know fault. So now the tempature guage stays down sometimes goes up then goes down whether I turn the aircon on or not. So not only did they not fix the problem they actually made it worse. Ford service is crap. I previously owned to lancers and always got the car wash and vacuum every service.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #19
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Originally Posted by guym
Well I can do better than most, car went in for 75,000 klm service and told them that when I turn the aircon on the tempature guage goes down, if I leave the aircon off everything ok. They say now worries, get car back at end of day and they say yes fixed the problem was a know fault. So now the tempature guage stays down sometimes goes up then goes down whether I turn the aircon on or not. So not only did they not fix the problem they actually made it worse. Ford service is crap. I previously owned to lancers and always got the car wash and vacuum every service.
Sounds like the temp sensor just needs a good clean... I haven't heard of any dealer... Ford or Vw or whoever that "services" the sensors. with 75K on your car, I'd say your engine bay is a tad dusty. I'd find the main sensors and give them a good clean...
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'm sick to death of Dealer bashing, it's so 20th century... they're easy targets, have no defence and I find it incredibly hard to believe that selling the car was this guy's only option. $10 says he was a hot-head, or went off at the slightest touch of a button. Quite possibly a combination of a lot of fault/inattention on the Dealer's behalf but come on... selling a car to lose $6k? Just a tad extreme IMO. I don't wish it on anyone... but there is more than 1 Dealer in this country.

My current Dealer in bold below...

1. Rick Damelian Honda - you pay alot for the service, but they are outstanding. The detail: (Bayford Epping)
- They wash the car (sometimes vacuumed) (Ditto even for minor work)
- Put chocolates on the dash (They have coffee/Hot chocolate - real stuff)
- Also give you a courtesy call to inform you the car is ready - or if there is a problem (Ford didnt do that to me - they put it on the receipt that i would need to pay $500 to get a broken part fixed. They didn't bother to ask if I wanted it fixed while the car was there!). (Courtesy car or lift if needed, Call to confirm and update)
- They also send you an SMS update during the day, and also a reminder when your car is due for service! (Ditto with the SMS)

Nothing unique, Mum's Subaru Dealership does mostly the same as my Ford Dealership. You have a choice, stop going to bad Dealers and take your business elsewhere if that's the case, ask for referrals, do whatever you have to do for satisfaction. Don't be an unreasonable *****, just be polite, be honest and be sensible. First thing anyone does when yelled at is lose their own patience generally...

Dealer bashing = _

It's easy to whinge about them with no right of reply... it's even easier not to whinge and just drive to another Dealer. Saves breath.
Old 13-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #21
guym

Zetec

take a pill or something. The whole point of a forum is for people to voice their experiences and views. I have used 2 ford dealers in 2 different states and my experience is the same, not as good as the 2 Mitsubishi dealers in 2 different states I had before and one of those was a monopoly as he was the only mitsubishi dealer in town.

Being an open forum any ford dealer could log on and reply if they wished to defend themselves or their industry.

My experience with Ford dealers is the same as what others are experiencing. The one realy big bug I have with them, and this has happened with both dealers. The service book says the servicing in required every 15,000 klms or 12 months, but the dealers will put a sticker on the car saying next service in 6 months, then send letters (not just one but many) advising the car needs servicing after 6. This shows a total lack of understanding of the vehicle and its requirements when the manufacture says one thing and they do another, for what reason (well I will leave that for others to express).

To gain respect you must earn it and first impressions count, and theirs that they give is we do not understand the requirements to maintain your vehicle.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #22
Hoops
I'm Back

As stated before people only tend to talk about the bad things that have happened to them in regards to dealer experiences, I on the other hand have not had any dramas with any of the Ford dealers i have been to, and that is dealers in two different states and i received the same quality and expertise in both, i must be one of the lucky ones by the sound of it.
And as far as selling your car because of a few problems and copping a 6k loss come on I'm sure there were other options than that
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #23
KJGH
G6E Driver

Not that my opinion counts but I have to agree with Mr. Zetec about 2 things. Hot chocolate is real stuff and getting a car sorted can be as easy as going to another dealer. Having said that, it isn't easy for some who are in rural areas.

It is only when you go to a crap dealer then you realise how good you had it. When I moved up to Melbourne, it took me over 12 months to find a dealer as good as what I originally had.
Old 13-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #24
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Welcome back KJGH!! Good to see you back here on the forums, it has been over a year since we last saw you on our last cruise!!
Old 15-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #25
KJGH
G6E Driver

Thanks Mr. Zetec. It's good to be back.
Old 15-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #26
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zetec, you work for Ford (at a dealership?) so it's very easy to understand your aggressive reply.....

This guy, from what he told me, had contacted everyone from the dealer principal through to Ford Australia; plus the Trade Practices Commission (or whatever they are called.)

Yes, he could possibly have tried other dealers (and possibly did?), but why should he have to?? The final fault that sealed the fate was the engine stopping repeatedly and the part not being available for a couple of weeks. Some people buy new cars because they need reliable transport, so I cannot blame anyone for bailing and selling for a $6000 loss (in fact IMHO he was lucky to get out of it for that amount- the trade in price he got was about what they sell the base model Focus on road for in Adelaide!)

Bottom line- quality related issues that shouldn't be happening.
Old 15-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #27
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Don’t worry about that Bucky. They treat GT-P owners like s**t as well.
I was told by some clown from Ford, a paint inspector (regarding the paint on my front bumper) in his words “Why do you think you should get special treatment just because you’ve bought a GT-P”. The matter is still ongoing.

Cheers, Danny
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #28
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

I forgot to add, that this paint inspector also accused me of wasting his time.
These are the little things that stay in your mind when the time comes to update.

Cheers, Danny
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #29
tbearz

As much as a love fords, and focuses and what not, just tell the bloke to buy a c4 seriously look at the thing, its so magnificent especially compared to the bland focus
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #30
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbearz
As much as a love fords, and focuses and what not, just tell the bloke to buy a c4 seriously look at the thing, its so magnificent especially compared to the bland focus
Doesn't handle mate. If anything get a Mazda3