Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Lost skills/Art forms

I have been looking for the past couple of days. into doing a course in book binding. Now I know that books themselves seem to be dying out, however I have some old/antique books that I want to preserve with leather binding and I would like to give it a go myself.

It appears that it is harder to find somewhere to do this than first thought. There is a course at RMIT in Melbourne, however lack of numbers etc, didn't see the course run. So I contacted a private book binder and he does run courses, however it is $1200 for a 5 day course! (Yikes!)

So it got me thinking, what other skills/art forms will we lose within the next few years? If no-one trains anyone on how these things are done, the skills will be lost forever.

So what would you like to see made readily available to everyone to learn or what would skill would you like to learn if you had the time?

Cheers
Col