Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: This is why we have a WOVR for repairable write offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Always do a PPSR check on any car you buy $2 well spent, if you have any inkling that the car is a repairable write off and does not show on a PPSR, then get a independent inspection done.

PPSR $2 report link
https://www.ppsr.gov.au/
My Caprice was incorrectly on the stolen vehicle register, which came up on a PPSR search I did on it years after I bought it, had it registered and was driving it around Melbourne without any inkling of an issue.

Involved NSW Police and VIC Police to get this sorted.

Number plate was stolen from it in May 2000 in Sydney, and reported to the police back then, then at some point when systems migrated over the years and the national stolen vehicle register became a thing, that stolen number plate report had been turned into 'stolen vehicle' report when it came out in the new system.

NSW Police were dumbfounded that no one here in VIC had questioned it, no drama with VicRoads or Vic Police, and it was clearly on the national stolen vehicle register, as a stolen vehicle.

Bankstown Police basically said, lets get this shit cleared up, we just need to sight the VIN and we can clear the record, go to your local police and get them to sight the VIN and then call us, and we'll sort it out.

I go to my local police with my PPSR in hand and Caprice in their car park, I walk in, they don't even know what the PPSR is, they search up the national stolen vehicle register, see my Caprice on it, then tell me, yes it is registered as a stolen vehicle, but its a matter for NSW Police and that they won't be doing anything to help - well **** you then

So I went to another police branch, who were more than happy to help me out, came out, looked at the VIN, called and emailed Bankstown Police saying they've seen the car and sighted the VIN, and CC'd me in the response.

Between Sunbury and Bankstown police they got it off the national stolen vehicle register for me.

As far as repairable write offs go, would probably buy one as a work vehicle like a ute, probably not as a daily though - there's no way with how complex cars are these days you can repair anything properly, no matter how good you are.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; Yesterday at 08:24 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #32
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

As far as repairable write offs go, would probably buy one as a work vehicle like a ute, probably not as a daily though - there's no way with how complex cars are these days you can repair anything properly, no matter how good you are.
See this is the misunderstanding of what a WOVR vehicle is, cars are written off for non accident damage, it could have smashed glass, the wheels have been nicked, etc.

The thing with WOVR is that they indiscriminately put every economical write off on the register, I had a little A class Mercedes with a broken sunroof glass, it was on the WOVR because the glass for the roof was more than the car was insured for if you buy it new, but second hand it was $100, cheap fix, cheap car, also bought a stolen recovered S class, it had a few minor scratches, obviously the repaint that would have been quoted was more than the insured value. I just washed and detailed it, went for WOVR inspection with a stat dec saying I washed it, passed licence and on-sold within 3 days for a tidy profit.

Its unfortunate that all write offs get tarred with the same brush, I'm sure there are damaged cars sold on Gumtree / Facebook that are repaired to a sub standard that are not on the WOVR, at least with the WOVR they can ensure a standard of repair.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 12:24 AM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There is at least one car in the WOVR which was mis-fuelled by putting diesel into a petrol car. Not vice-versa. That’s all which landed it there.

These repaired write-offs, they’re death traps.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: