Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default refill gas bottles

Hello guys

At first i had the idea of getting a second hand car gas tank and filling that up with normal gas from the servo and using it to replace my bbq swap and go bottle

Has anyone filled their 8.5 kilo bbq gas bottle from a servo? I know once this was done around 10 years ago, now its all swap and go

Does anyone still take their bottle to their sevo and fill it themselves?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: refill gas bottles

I don't think you can fill them up yourself anymore. Even at Supagas, they refill them for you.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i do...but not the servo ..our local corner shop.
$17.00 cheap as
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Isn't the mix for cars slightly different than to bbq fuel? (ratio of butane and propane?)
Providing you want to use the gas for the bbq?
Remember reading about doing what you suggest a few years ago. Prob against the emissions laws?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My local service station still offers the refill service.

From what I have observed, the refill service must still be viable, as he now has three massive elgas bottles to decant from versus the one he had when I worked there as a young lad. The swap and go is very convenient but you pay for it.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by saam
Hello guys

At first i had the idea of getting a second hand car gas tank and filling that up with normal gas from the servo and using it to replace my bbq swap and go bottle

Has anyone filled their 8.5 kilo bbq gas bottle from a servo? I know once this was done around 10 years ago, now its all swap and go

Hang on, I may have missed what you were asking... I can't remember the last time I filled up my own tank, probably 2 or 3 years ago (as in, I took my own tank there and they filled it).

Having said that - heaps of petrol stations in Sydney still display a price for BBQ gas refills. So I guess they still do it.

Several years ago I remember the servo wouldn't fill my tank as it needs a service every 10 years and the one I had was ancient.... was cheaper to buy a new empty one off the shelf at Big W.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Isn't the mix for cars slightly different than to bbq fuel? (ratio of butane and propane?)
Providing you want to use the gas for the bbq?
Remember reading about doing what you suggest a few years ago. Prob against the emissions laws?

From what I was told by numerous servo's when I get the BBQ bottle re-filled, they use the same stuff in normal LPG, as they do for the LPG in BBQ bottle's...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
z80
Banned

I think its pure propane for BBQ and butane/propane for cars.

The connections are different between the two as well?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
Spudz27
Call me Spud

All this talk about propane reminds me of Hank from king of the hill. Butane is the bastard gas.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
vxssm6
Silhouette TS AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
I think its pure propane for BBQ and butane/propane for cars.

The connections are different between the two as well?
Z80, it's exactly the same gas mate.. ELGAS used to come to your house to fill your bottles and top up your car for you as well while they were there.

Yes the BBQ bottle doesn't have the bigger fitting but it's only an adaptor away (I still fill my own BBQ bottle from my house bottles). Cheap as.

(My dad was an authorised LPG Mechanic from way back in the 80's but he has since retired)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hello guys

Are you asking about using an LPG tank from a car so as to have a bigger bottle for your BBQ ? if so, 65L of gas will be pretty heavy hanging on the end of the BBQ

As for refilling your own Gas bottles don't go to a servo or anywhere that does the Swap 'n Go thing, BBQ's Galore and many other places will refill it for about half the Servo price.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Link
Ford Nut

BCF and BBQs Galore still do refills - i usually take mine to BCF so i can go check out the fishing gear as well LOL
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i was thinking about using the car gas bottle as a bbq bottle but i was going to place it on the trolley for easy moving

Didnt know that bbq's galore or bcf did refills

Its just a big joke isnt it about people wanting to charge you about 5 times the price
Old 07-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

used to be able to buy the adapter off ebay to go from servo pump to barby bottle

I knew a couple of fellers who did this, they'd fill the car then fill the gas bottle at the same time

one other thing about those swap and go bottles.....they are never full!...rip off!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxssm6
Z80, it's exactly the same gas mate.. ELGAS used to come to your house to fill your bottles and top up your car for you as well while they were there.
There is a bit of mis information in this thread. Generally speaking, BBQ gas is always 100%Propane. Autogas is a blend of Propane and Butane. But there are heaps of variables. Heres some.

Sometimes the Autogas at servos is 50/50, or 60/40 or 100%Propane. A lot of regional areas have servos with straight Propane, sometimes this is due to the extra cost of having a tanker with a blend load doing the servo and then another tanker going to the same town to the local LPG depot. So it's easier and more cost effective to split a load of 1 propane tanker to different drops around the same town.

Even in the cities sometimes during the year, the servos will have straight propane. This is usually because of the high demand for Butane in different parts of the world in the manufacturing sector eg, plastics, which makes butane more expensive than propane at times. Some Melb servos are getting straight propane at the moment for cost reasons.

Sometimes a refinery will be doing a planned maintenance shutdown on a certain piece of equipment which will cause a local shortage of one of the products.

Sometimes it's climatic conditions that determine what you get at a servo for Autogas. In extremely cold weather, the butane has no vapour pressure and sits in the tank like water, so it won't flow properly with pumps and such. We have certain Alpine area customers that must get straight propane during winter months.

And there are a lot of people will tell you that you can run your vapour fed BBQ or other LPG appliance with Autogas. There are some real risks in doing this due to the high boiling temp of the butane. Depending on ambient temps, the butane will remain as a liquid instead of boiling off to a vapour and your vapour draw appliance gets a gut full of liquid which puts the flame out and then you have bigger problems. Always put straight propane into a cylinder that is going to be used for a propane appliance.
-Craig
Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz

And there are a lot of people will tell you that you can run your vapour fed BBQ or other LPG appliance with Autogas. There are some real risks in doing this due to the high boiling temp of the butane. Depending on ambient temps, the butane will remain as a liquid instead of boiling off to a vapour and your vapour draw appliance gets a gut full of liquid which puts the flame out and then you have bigger problems. Always put straight propane into a cylinder that is going to be used for a propane appliance.
-Craig
its impossible for a bbq to draw liquid lpg from a standard bbq tank UNLESS you tip the tank upside down but then it will always 100% feed liquid lpg outta the tank
Old 07-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
MarkAW

Quote:
-Craig
Craig
A well written doc but I must disagree with the point above. If you are using a vapour system and providing you don't upset the bottle there is no way of getting a liquid past the valve and into the regulator of your BBQ system. Its a different story if you topple or invert the bottle.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The difference between butane and propane is the flashpoint, butane has a lower flashpoint, which basically means it will ignite at a lower tempeture than propane, they mix it in auto-gas for that reason, it makes the cars easier to start. It is also used in cigarette lighters for the same reason.

And that is about the only difference
Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Yep, you guys are right on that. Thanks for pointing that out as I don't want to provide wrong info either.
I think I would only be correct on a Liquid draw cylinder via a regulator, then passing liquid due to extreme low temps keeping butane below its boiling point.

For example a large liquid draw LPG tank supplying liquid up to a regulator to provide high volume vapour to industrial burners or something like that.

-Craig
Old 07-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
The difference between butane and propane is the flashpoint, butane has a lower flashpoint, which basically means it will ignite at a lower tempeture than propane, they mix it in auto-gas for that reason, it makes the cars easier to start. It is also used in cigarette lighters for the same reason.

And that is about the only difference
Approximates from memory here:
Butane flashpoint -60c
Propane flashpoint -105c

Propane lights up at a much lower temp.

If lighters had propane in them then they would need to be aluminium or steel to be able to handle pressures of approx 600-1000kpa at different ambient temps. That would be awkward.
Butane is more suitable for lighters at normal ambient temps due to its very high boiling point, therefore lower pressure for equal temp. Anywhere from 50kpa to 300kpa.
-Craig
Old 07-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
MarkAW

Quote:
Yep, you guys are right on that. Thanks for pointing that out as I don't want to provide wrong info either.
I think I would only be correct on a Liquid draw cylinder via a regulator, then passing liquid due to extreme low temps keeping butane below its boiling point.

For example a large liquid draw LPG tank supplying liquid up to a regulator to provide high volume vapour to industrial burners or something like that.

-Craig
I not 100% on this but isn't a vehicle tank a liquid draw tank?, which for the OP to use in a BBQ situation highly dangerous, not that stuffing around with LPG without much between the ears is a guaranteed first place for Darwinian of the Year.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #22
Springfield_Johny

What about using one of the tall home lpg bottles and filling from a servo? Wife's workmates husband does this, reckons it costs him stuff all to refill his cylinders and he uses this method for his BBQ and his house gas. It costs over $100 to get an exchange has bottle for home. It sounds like a cheap solution, we go through around 4 big gas bottles a year at a cost of around $130 each replacement. If I could fill them myself for $0.70/litre I'd save a fortune

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #23
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield_Johny
What about using one of the tall home lpg bottles and filling from a servo? Wife's workmates husband does this, reckons it costs him stuff all to refill his cylinders and he uses this method for his BBQ and his house gas. It costs over $100 to get an exchange has bottle for home. It sounds like a cheap solution, we go through around 4 big gas bottles a year at a cost of around $130 each replacement. If I could fill them myself for $0.70/litre I'd save a fortune
I was going to suggest this also, but you beat me to it

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
I have a couple of mates that do this. One has an old ute with an LPG filler on the rear 1/4 and the red diamond stickers on the number plate, but it isn't on gas. He hides a 45kg gas bottle under the tarp that is connected to the filler and goes to the servo to fill it up. Costs bugger all.
Not sure I'd like to get caught doing it myself!
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #25
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

The rent through Kleenheat for a 45kg bottle is about $25/year. The cost for a full delivered 45kg bottle costs me $121. A 45kg bottle of gas is pretty heavy though and something I probably wouldn't have swinging around on a trolley next to the BBQ. If you really wanted a big capacity bottle for your BBQ it might be worthwhile having the bottle in a fixed location on the house then getting a gas fitter to plumb it out to your BBQ. Then when you need gas...it's just a phone call to your gas supplier and they'll come swap it out for you.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
MarkAW

Quote:
From memory Australian law and Australian Standards state its illegal for a bottle greater than approx 9.6kg(25 litre) to be filled using a decanter method (filled from a servo 200kg tank). See section 4.2.4 of Aust Standard 1596. Its why an 18kg caravan bottle cant be filled by a servo decanter tank apart from the fact that cylinders larger than 9kg aren't fitted with the screw out valve at the top which shows when full during filling.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #27
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are talking about refilling it from the bowser used for cars it is illegal and dangerous. the BBQ cylinders do not have the safety cut off that cars do . BBQ cylinders are only designed to be filled by decanting not by pump. If I saw anyone trying this at a servo I would be out of there then I would be calling workcover I don't want to die in an explosion caused by someone trying to save money

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #28
z80
Banned

Yep...it's called decanting and has a huge fine associated with it.

It's also why you have to make up your own custom fittings to be able to do it.

@74 XB ute- you are getting ripped off paying rent on 45kg bottles.

My local hardware just swaps them over...but you have to take your old one in and do it yourself.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone actually been fined from it. And what would be the fine for?

As i remember this practice was being done not too long ago and still is being done in a few places

Is it all a conspiracy ??
Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Has anyone actually been fined from it. And what would be the fine for?

As i remember this practice was being done not too long ago and still is being done in a few places

Is it all a conspiracy ??
if workcover catch you it's a 5 figure fine and it is not a conspiracy the cylinders can explode if you fill from a car bowser it is a darwin award waiting to happen. remember if you do this it in not just your life you risk it is everyone at the servo

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Closed Thread