Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Microsoft aims to simplify with Windows 8.1

Microsoft is trying to fix what it got wrong with its radical makeover of Windows. It's making the operating system easier to navigate and enabling users to set up the software so it starts in a more familiar format designed for personal computers.

The revisions to Windows 8 will be released later this year. The free update, called Windows 8.1, represents Microsoft's concessions to long-time customers taken aback by the dramatic changes to an operating system that had become a staple in households and offices around the world during the past 20 years.

Microsoft Corp. announced it plans for Windows 8.1 earlier this month. The first details about what will be included in the update are being provided in a Thursday post on Microsoft's website.

The Redmond, Wash., company gave The Associated Press a glimpse at Windows 8.1 Wednesday. A more extensive tour of Windows 8.1 and several new applications built into the upgrade will be provided in San Francisco at a Microsoft conference for programmers scheduled to begin June 26.
Advertisement

With the release of Windows 8 seven months ago, Microsoft introduced a startup screen displaying applications in a mosaic of interactive tiles instead of static icons.

The shift agitated many users who wanted the option to launch the operating system in a mode that resembled the old setup.

That choice will be provided in Windows 8.1, although Microsoft isn't bringing back the start menu. That menu that could be found in the left-hand corner of a computer screen by clicking a Windows logo on all other versions of the operating system since 1995. The lack of a start button ranks among the biggest gripes about Windows 8.

Microsoft is hoping to quiet the critics by allowing users start the operating system in a desktop design with an omnipresent Windows logo anchored in the lower left corner of the display screen. Users will also be able to ensure their favorite applications, including Word and Excel, appear in a horizontal task bar next to the Windows logo.

The switch should ease the "cognitive dissonance" caused by Windows 8, said Antoine Leblond, who helps oversee the operating system's program management.

Windows 8.1 will lean heavily on Microsoft's Bing search technology to simplify things.

As with Windows 8, the search bar can found by pulling out a menu from the right side of a display screen. Rather than requiring a user to select a category, such as "files" or "apps," Windows 8.1 will make it possible to find just about anything available on the computer's hard drive or on the Web by just typing in a few words. For instance, a search for "Marilyn Monroe" might display biographical information about the late movie star pulled from the Web, a selection of photos and video and even songs she sang. Anyone who want to hear a particular song stored on the computer or play a specific game such as "Angry Birds" will just need to type a title into the search box to gain access within seconds.

The redesigned search tool is meant to provide Windows 8.1 users with "pure power and instant entertainment," said Jensen Harris, Microsoft's director of user experience for the operating system.

Applications also can be found by sorting them by letter or category.

Other new features in Windows 8.1 include a built-in connection with Microsoft's online storage system, SkyDrive, to back up photos, music and program files; a lock-up screen that will display a slide show of a user's favorite pictures; larger and smaller interactive tiles than Windows 8 has; and a photo editor.

In an effort to avoid any further confusion about the operating system, Windows 8.1 also will plant a tile clearly labeled "helps and tips" in the center of the startup screen.

Microsoft made the dramatic overhaul to Windows in an attempt to expand the operating system's franchise beyond personal computers that rely on keyboards and mice to smartphones and tablet computers controlled by a touch or swipe of the finger.

But Windows 8 has been widely panned as a disappointment, even though Microsoft says it has licensed more than 60 million copies so far.

One major research firm, International Data Corp., blamed the redesigned operating system for worsening a decline in PC sales by confusing prospective buyers. Meanwhile, Windows 8 hasn't proven it's compelling enough to put a major dent in the popularity of Apple Inc.'s pioneering iPad or other tablets running on Google Inc.'s Android software.

Microsoft, though, remains convinced that Windows 8 just needs a little fine tuning.

"We feel good about the basic bets that we have made," Leblond said.

It's crucial that Microsoft sets things right with Windows 8.1 because the outlook for the PC market keeps getting gloomier. IDC now expects PC shipments to fall by nearly 8 percent this year, worse than its previous forecast of a 1 percent dip. IDC also anticipates tablets will outsell laptop computers for the first time this year.

The growing popularity of tablets is now being driven largely by less expensive devices with 7- and 8-inch display screens. Microsoft built Windows 8 to primarily to run on tablets with 10-inch to 12-inch screens, an oversight that Leblond said the company is addressing by ensuring Windows 8.1 works well on smaller devices.

If Windows 8.1 doesn't stimulate more sales of PCs and tablets running on the operating system, it could escalate the pressure on Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. Although the company's revenue and earnings have steadily risen since Ballmer became CEO 13 years ago, Microsoft's stock performance has lagged other technology companies. Investors, though, appear to becoming more optimistic about Ballmer's strategy. Microsoft's stock has risen by 25 percent since Windows 8's release last October, outpacing the 17 percent gain in the Standard & Poor's 500 index during the same period.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/bre...530-2nf6a.html

Last edited by csv8; 31-05-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Microsoft aims to simplify with Windows 8.1

Xp works just fine here , Vista was a bunch of wierd stuff invented by people who spent too much time in the forrest looking for mushrooms and this latest version sounds like there`s more than a few "apples" snuck in there ? , " you can do alll this you just need to use Our "bing" "skycloud" , Our stuff Only,,, ? .

If it ain`t broke just touch it up . ( or make a version the 40+ club can work with lol ) , Interwebz is losing it`s curiosity factor I fear , back to the shed I think
Old 31-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

XP2 was my last Windoze.....
Had a 10inch with 7 on it - crap.

Now a full complete Linux convert, system loads, ready for use in 15.8 seconds.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
pursuit2359

Bugs aside, a major problem with Windows 8 is that they tried to make an OS for PCs and mobile devices. As with XP and Vista, Windows 7 will remain the OS of choice for some time.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

The best way to fix all Windows problems, is install Apple OSX Mountain Lion on a Mac. After all, that's what Micro$oft are trying to replicate with Windows 8.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
The best way to fix all Windows problems, is install Apple OSX Mountain Lion on a Mac. After all, that's what Micro$oft are trying to replicate with Windows 8.
Ah that would be why you see so many PCs running OSX in boot camp to get around all the restrictions, limitations and lack of support outside the "trendy arty latte" community......

Ummm or do I have that backwards......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Ah that would be why you see so many PCs running OSX in boot camp to get around all the restrictions, limitations and lack of support outside the "trendy arty latte" community......

HA, nice.

I'm off for a coffee and to do some sketches ;)
Old 31-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post

True. I use a Mac for work with a boot camp running windows 8. But I only use Windows 8 to run office programs, office for Mac as absolute crap.

Nothing wrong with windows 8, people just don't like change.
[Buckets] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have W8 and once you get used to it its ok. Think a BIG smartfone !!!!!! that doesn't talk unless you Skype....
Old 31-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

Windows 8 and Server 2012 running fine here,

i don't mind the new Menu, in fact i actually work faster with the new UI then the older one!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245 View Post
Windows 8 and Server 2012 running fine here,

i don't mind the new Menu, in fact i actually work faster with the new UI then the older one!
Yep, and thats the whole point of the changes they've made. It does actually help you be more productive once you know your way around.
The changes they've mentioned for 8.1 are a good idea though, like the changes they made to server 2008 when r2 was released. Can't expect a perfect OS off the bat.

And I love the linux fanboys...makes me laugh so hard. I guarantee you they spend more time ****farting around on their PC's getting stuff to work than most Mac/Windows users do.
Old 31-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
XP2 was my last Windoze.....
Had a 10inch with 7 on it - crap.

Now a full complete Linux convert, system loads, ready for use in 15.8 seconds.
My 7 loads to desktop within 45 seconds without an SSD and I don't get compatibility issues at all.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[290_BOSS
;4755536'
And I love the linux fanboys...makes me laugh so hard. I guarantee you they spend more time ****farting around on their PC's getting stuff to work than most Mac/Windows users do.
True historically. All the linux distros were really server OS and lacked desktop niceties. I haven't run it but Ubuntu is supposed to be pretty good. OSX is the answer for them anyway, BSD with a nice GUI.
Old 31-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
That's all fine and dandy until you want to upgrade or play games or do anything that Apple doesn't endorse.
Old 31-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
That's all fine and dandy until you want to upgrade or play games or do anything that Apple doesn't endorse.
Upgrade what? I can change the memory and disk drives without any issues on my machines. I can play games but in honesty I'm a little old for that now. The only software I have had to purchase is Office for OSX. OSX costs about 40 bucks to buy.

The only issue I have is ******* flash sites which occasionally crash or peg my CPU on 100%.
Old 31-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [290_BOSS] View Post
Yep, and thats the whole point of the changes they've made. It does actually help you be more productive once you know your way around.
The changes they've mentioned for 8.1 are a good idea though, like the changes they made to server 2008 when r2 was released. Can't expect a perfect OS off the bat.

I Absolutely HATE Apple Machines...
Deal enough with them at work, the users are another breed lol...

but I run a collection of Linux and VMs at home, so at a server level each is good for different reasons,

but as a User Operating System Windows is a little more refined.

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245 View Post
I Absolutely HATE Apple Machines...
Deal enough with them at work, the users are another breed lol...

but I run a collection of Linux and VMs at home, so at a server level each is good for different reasons,

but as a User Operating System Windows is a little more refined.
Yeah I hear you, Mac's really have no role in the workplace except for personal use. Once you get used to the differences Mac's are a superior product in almost every way, but as I said I still run a boot camp running Win 8 for those few occasions when the Mac fails me
Old 31-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Upgrade what? I can change the memory and disk drives without any issues on my machines. I can play games but in honesty I'm a little old for that now. The only software I have had to purchase is Office for OSX. OSX costs about 40 bucks to buy.

The only issue I have is ******* flash sites which occasionally crash or peg my CPU on 100%.
If you want to upgrade components cos they're out dated or broken such as a CPU or your graphics card, you can't. It's either a new computer or find second hand parts from the same model. You're never too old for games

It's not just games that mac has compatibility issues with, flash player often has it's way with Mac, shockwave too. With most components, you have to get mac specific drivers and software for which are (unless it's like logitech or something like that) take a little while to be produced with all the bugs ironed out. AV also bugs out a little on macs as well. And don't give me the one liner that macs don't get viruses
Old 31-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem that I have heard with Windows 8 is that it's fine...for touch screen computers...people I know who have it on a "normal" PC or laptop say it's a bit of a pain to navigate.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm Win XP here. It works fine, no reason to change.

I don't like the look of Win 8 at all.

It's a tablet OS and that's all it should be
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
[Buckets]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like I said, people don't like change...but get used to it cos thats the way all user operating systems are heading.

Don't like the tile view? Click on Desktop...not that hard
3 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree. Using a laptop without touch is difficult. Instead, the slide from touch has been integrated into the pad, so if i slide my finger across to move the mouse icon, from the farthest left section of the pad, i slide to a different app page. Biggest pain in the butthole. I find closing apps difficult and easier to use the task manager. I use the desktop option all the time. May as well be using Windows 7... again.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really like Windows 7 so I see no need to go to Windows 8 I think that accounts for a slow take up on Windows 8 as much as the changes.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Microsoft and simplify in the same sentence just seems wrong...
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Raysie

Windows 8 works great on Tablets. In the end that's what it's been primarily made for.

I use a Samsung Series 7 Slate which originally came pre-installed with Windows 7. Windows 7 on a tablet was difficult to use and just wasn't right.

After upgrading to Windows 8, the tablet actually had a use to the point where it is my daily driver now when it comes to computing at home.

Windows 8 on a desktop however... just isn't practical. Microsoft will need to try a lot harder if it wants businesses to continue using their software.
Raysie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
gtfpv
GT

not tech savvy . had windows xp , that was great , had vista , that sucked , now have windows 7 , and that changes its mood all the time and tries new things . like automatically changing resolution and screen format , blocking sites that werent blocked before , and changing the main display screen format . hate it .

Last edited by flappist; 31-05-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: swear filter
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Win 8 is fantastic... once you setup the 'Desktop' tile to autorun on startup so you don't have to deal with that godawful 'Metro' interface. Then, download a small program that pins a false 'windows' start button where it should be ;)

I'm not using it on tablets so I find the whole scrolling-with-mouse annoying.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have 3 laptops at home - 2 running windows 8, and one windows 7. And just got rid of a PC running Windows XP. Since we mostly only use the browser with email and the occasional spreadsheet or document thrown in, any of the OS works fine for us.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #29
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Microsoft is simplifying Windows? What, are they re-releasing 3.11..?

I am an avid MS Windows user & supporter, but Win8 has lost me. So ill stick with Win7 64. Hopefully the successor of 8 will prove better.

But the Win9x platform will always be my weapon of choice.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #30
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

win 8 has a good fast kernel that is easy on resources but has a terrible desktop UI. stardock do a little app called start 8 that brings back the old start menu that most users want with all the advantages of 8. I am still using 7 but have used this solution many times for customers with no complaints. I would be happy to see a decent competing OS but it just doesn't exist. linux is not overly user friendly for basic home users and doesn't have the same compatibility level of windows and apple is too tightly ties down with restrictions . if they don't want you to do something you are stuck. generally you can work around most windows restrictions / changes with simple apps or registry hacks

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post