Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Mick K.

Question Automatic air con with demister

Any way to stop the air con kicking in when the ventillation knob is turned to the demister setting with the fan on? Also the recirc button doesn't work on demister - what if I'm behnid a smoke belching '86 Magna when I'm trying to demist the windscreen!

I understand that air con clears up the windscreen pretty well, but I'd like to be in control of when the air con compressor zaps my power!

Does Focus II have these "features"??

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 01:56 AM   #2
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

air con never comes on for me unless i select it

you cannont turn the demister on when it is on the windscreen setting

chris
Old 20-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
whippet_zetec
Supes

Standard feature of the Focus is to have auto-air-con when the front windscreen is selected on the vent dial with the fan turned onto 1 or above. It can be re-configured to not have the air-con switch on automatically, not sure how you do it but know it can be done as Ford offer the change as an added extra when purchasing the car (from memory about $600....).

Personally I am not a fan either but more because the air-con tends to leave more residue on the inside of the windows so they fog up quicker and you have to keep using the air-con, also having it on does cruel the engine of oomph when you want to give it a bit...
Old 20-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

The auto selections of Air and vent are included because the population in general will never read the manual, and has neither clue or interest in humidification/dehumidification/condensation. Generally you can reselect recirc etc after selecting demist, the system just aims for the most effective solution.

Next rainy day look at the cabs you see all the AU's and Ba's have clear screens and the E-series are a foggy messy, no reflection on the e-series just an explaination of why the controls now have an anti idiot feature.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Just as a point of interest, you can actually put it on re-circ if you choose, by switching it back by one tiny click, you will notice the recirc light comes back on, almost like you're on 90% windscreen. Easyily overcome for almost the identical effect.

And yes, the air-con comes on to automatically de-humidify the air. I find with the quickclear windscreen that on the hot setting with no air-con, it still clears within 30 seconds on setting 3, with all the knobs turned to the orange numbers.
Old 21-06-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

well my air con certainly doesnt come on automatically when you put it on the windscreen bit, i can turn it on and off whenever i want

chris
Old 21-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
whippet_zetec
Supes

my air con light doesnt come on when I select the windscreen vent but I know it turns on as you can hear the change in the engine idle speed...
Old 21-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #8
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

*shrug* mine doesnt nothing changes, no aircon kicks in and no change in idle... thats all there is to it....