Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Transit Truck

Default Recommendations for best 4x4 for towing

Hi,

I am in the market for a 4x4 for comfort, occasional offroading and towing with 3500 kg capacity. I know there are heaps out there rated for this, but I would like peoples opinion before I go wasting my time around dealerships.

I am sort of set on a Land Rover Discovery 3.

My essential requirements are:

Turbo Diesel
7 Seat Min
Rear Aircon
3500 kg towing capacity

Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend's dad bought a Nissan Patrol T/D. He loves it. I would recommend either a landcruiser or patrol.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Transit Truck

Oops should of mentioned... Automatic...
Old 27-02-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

My partner at work has anew landrover defender an it has all those things and its tough as nails. He also pulls a big trailer to work everyday very easily.
Only thing it still looks 50 years old.
Get a nissan patrol ive seen heaps of scaffold guys pulling absolute crap loads and they look sweet.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Transit Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev5 ute
My partner at work has anew landrover defender an it has all those things and its tough as nails. He also pulls a big trailer to work everyday very easily.
Only thing it still looks 50 years old.
Get a nissan patrol ive seen heaps of scaffold guys pulling absolute crap loads and they look sweet.
Only problem is that the patrol's 4.2 TD is manual only... The 3.0 TD doesn't tow 3500 kg...
Old 27-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

how bout this....
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

98 percent of the Tas Abalone divers tow their BIG cats and monohulls with Landcruisers.......

Ive got an F250 (92 mod) that I tow my 2.4 tonne boat with and it does it with ease, I hooked it up to a mates 3.5 t boat and it was a completely different ball game.

He tows the same boat with his turbo diesel cruiser, and having been in the thing with three big blokes, plus his boat it was truely UNBELIEVABLE

Went, steered and stopped with complete safety, comfort and bloody brilliant economy. Ofcourse it was driven by a very experienced guy to....

The late model Cruisers are bloody great for towing for their price.

The dealership I get my outboards through have just recently taken delivery of a new F250 V8 TD 4x4 single cab flat tray, fitted with 4.5 tonne kit (biggest they could get) and they tow some mighty boats with it. They reckon it's got the power, got the brakes but feels a little light in the rear end and gets shoved a bit when towing rigs around 3.5 t.

They made a comparison to the Cruiser and said it (Cruiser) feels slightly more planted. But not as much pull up hills, and comparable brake ability.

For practicallity, 'ease' of parking in the burbs and great resale value, the Cruiser is probably the pick of all the maxi 4 x4 if towing big things regularly is your thing.

Having said that, an F250 V8TD dual cab XLT tuned to produce nearly 1000NM would be nice..............only a Flash tune, injectors and exhaust away !!! Getting blown away from the lights by one of these mammoths would be worth the defeat just to see the beast ROAR !

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

You've got to look at what capacity towbar can be fitted to the vehicle. 200kgs on the towball can cope with 2 tonne of trailer weight (I think). You'd be looking for something with a 350 kg ball weight, if that's right.

A friend (presidente of a caravan club) tows a 28 ft caravan, comfortably with a 02 Patrol, though it's petrol and LPG. I've heard tales from him, about people towing caravans in new 4x4's, where the weight of the van has started tearing the chassis of the 4x4. Apparently the towbar was not rated properly??
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Say a fairly new Navara ... and I must admit ... not a bad piece of machine ... and has the 3500kg towing capacity from memory as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiklovich
Hi,

I am in the market for a 4x4 for comfort, occasional offroading and towing with 3500 kg capacity. I know there are heaps out there rated for this, but I would like peoples opinion before I go wasting my time around dealerships. I am sort of set on a Land Rover Discovery 3. My essential requirements are:
Turbo Diesel
7 Seat Min
Rear Aircon
3500 kg towing capacity
You know what I think from the Territory threads akiklovich. Go for the Landie - not only a great towing vehicle but you're much safer on the road, which is where most people spend most of their driving time. You take your life in your hands in a Landcruiser or Patrol on the highway unless you go round those bends nice and easy and hope there's nothing you have to stop suddenly for.
Old 28-02-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Mark Edmonds
XLR8

Just out of interest I was towing a 2800kg boat with an 02 pajero which did a great job but for general around town driving I didn't enjoy a 4x4 as much as a large sedan. Bought the XR8 with the hayman reese load levveling system and it works a treat. Just as stable as the pajero at speed but with more power and around town comfort. If you are towing 3000kg plus then a 4x4 is probably the go but any less than that I think you can't beat a V8 sedan with the hayman reese setup.
Mark Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 12:50 PM   #12
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2c worth,
I've had two Discos now and like them.
Disco:
More refined, new tecnology, lighter on fuel. Dissappointing dealer service, limited dealer network. The D3 has been out for a while now so the teething problems should be close to solved.

Landcruiser:
Older technology, better after sales support, bigger and more widely distributed dealer network, thirstier, less interior comfort.

Unless you want to go to a F250 or similar there's not much else out there, the patrols are a bit old and slow to compete IMO.
Regards,
Tote
Old 28-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #13
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Having owned a Diesel Landcruiser I would highly recommend it. My ex used to do quite a bit of towing and the Cruiser never let us down. Mine was a bit of an old bomb but I have also driven the newer ones and they are awesome to drive and very comfortable as a daily driver.

Go the Cruiser.
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 01:00 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ergh buy a runout F250 7.3 Turbo Diesel, or as stated above a Landcruiser..
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A TDi VW Toureg would be worth a look too.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #16
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Ive only driven a newish (couple of years old) for a short time but it was really comfortable and well set out. The bloke who owned it was using it while we were hay bailing and it was pulling it all very nicely. Even on a slope he was going easy with out having 4wd engaged.

If i could i would buy one. Id go and test out all the others too and then make a final decision.

F250: Oh yeah. Waaaay out of my price league but man i would love to drive one around for a bit.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #17
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

definately a patrol... cant go past them...

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Ergh buy a runout F250 7.3 Turbo Diesel, or as stated above a Landcruiser..
Hell yeah ... driven one of these .. but awful in traffic though ... parking is pain ... actually ... just park ontop of another car ... LOL

If you want to move a mountain ... this is the thing to get.
Old 28-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #19
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiklovich
Only problem is that the patrol's 4.2 TD is manual only... The 3.0 TD doesn't tow 3500 kg...

Not true bro...the TD5 will tow 4000kg with brakes(legally) plus they have constant 4wd,traction control,lock diffs and other things that sound french to me...oh yeah and it wont rust
Old 28-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

It maybe allowed to tow 4000kg (dependign on state) ... but getting a towing kit with can allow to tow that capacity "safely" especially with towball weight capacity as well.

On paper it might .. but in reality it probably can't due to insufficient aftermarket support.
Old 28-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #21
1TUFFUTE
Banned

yep i no that,just stating that they are rated to pull 4000kg. An yes landrover will sell u the tow pack to do it cus he has it.They pull the hayman an reece sticker off an put theirs on it!
Old 28-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Say a fairly new Navara ... and I must admit ... not a bad piece of machine ... and has the 3500kg towing capacity from memory as well.
New Navara D40 has 3000kg towing capacity.

http://www.nissan.com.au/navaradual0...ry_4x4-STX.asp

akiklovich, one of the Aus 4x4 mags has a test in the latest issue, it covers many of the new models, have look.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #23
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before I left the highways we got a fleet of Auto 7.3 F350s. 6 wheeler, with 5th wheel. Those buggers could pull anytyhing. Had the 5 tonne roller behind it once, just to see if it could do it. Needed a LR licence to drive it technically.

Go the Landcruiser, but not the Prado SWB crap.

Don't go the 4 cylinder diesels. Turbo or not, it's too small a motor for long term towing.

I've always had 7x series cruisers, but not available in auto.

100 series might be best for your needs: http://lc100.toyota.com.au/toyota/ve...82_704,00.html
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #24
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pick up a f250 these days around the same price as a 100 series cruiser..

IMO 4.2l TD patrol would be your best bet.

It's all about your budget.

Landrover parts are expensive especially compared to nissan.. (i used to work at nissan)
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 06:24 AM   #25
Bayvu
Clevo LTDs rule

Pretty much take your pick on which 4x4 to choose, just ensure that the tow hitch is rated to the towing weight. I have an 80 series turbo diesel landcruiser which tows my 25 ft caravan (2200 kg empty!) really well at 100 kph. I have a Kaymar rear bumper/hitch bar that is rated to 3500kg. Not many are, beware of claims and check the compliance plate on the bar!
99 AU Ltd 5.0W : Gone....
98 DL LTD 5.0W
04 BA LTD coming next week.....
Bayvu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #26
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

Seeing as you want a turbo diesel auto, I'd be going with a 100 series cruiser. I wouldn't like to be towing alot for very far with the 2.7L engine in the discovery. It would be slow and painful.

Patrol's don't seem to come in a 4.2L TD auto, only the 3.0L and that's not much better.

Toyota have a fantastic name in the 4x4 business and very good aftermarket parts etc. Just as they tell you, they are pretty much unbreakable. Our 80 series has well over 400k on the clock and still going well.

If you are going to be towing that sort of weight, make sure it has heavy duty springs in the back to accommodate the weight. The regular springs will make the back end sag with that weight.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #27
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

:( oh no , not another huge 4x4 on the road ! - i goto the drive-in movies around here alot and myself and others find them extremely anoying.
If your buying one for its real purpose then nothing beats the good old tissue box landcruiser. How many people do see 4x4'n their nice new shiny 4x4's ? - bugger all cos everyone is to scared to scratch them.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #28
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
You know what I think from the Territory threads akiklovich. Go for the Landie - not only a great towing vehicle but you're much safer on the road, which is where most people spend most of their driving time. You take your life in your hands in a Landcruiser or Patrol on the highway unless you go round those bends nice and easy and hope there's nothing you have to stop suddenly for.
Another vote for the D3 they are great 4wd's :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg land_rover_discovery_3_2004_03_s.jpg (93.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #29
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa76
Seeing as you want a turbo diesel auto, I'd be going with a 100 series cruiser. I wouldn't like to be towing alot for very far with the 2.7L engine in the discovery. It would be slow and painful.

Patrol's don't seem to come in a 4.2L TD auto, only the 3.0L and that's not much better.

Toyota have a fantastic name in the 4x4 business and very good aftermarket parts etc. Just as they tell you, they are pretty much unbreakable. Our 80 series has well over 400k on the clock and still going well.

If you are going to be towing that sort of weight, make sure it has heavy duty springs in the back to accommodate the weight. The regular springs will make the back end sag with that weight.
Have you had a look at the power and torque specs for the V6 TD landrover?, 140 Kw and 400NM 2400 Kg Tare, landcruiser 150 Kw and 430Nm 2510 -2550 Kg kerb weight,
not much difference in performance difference I would think.
Regards,
Tote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #30
HOON69
Banned

def go patrol or a landy nothing else compares..
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post