Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Instrument Clusters

Currently looking at a CL focus, however im curious as to what the ST170/Ghia/Zetec Clusters have over the base models. I know ST170 has oil pressure and temp (i think its temp anyway?), just not sure about the others.

Anyone got any info on this, and has anyone attempted a swap?
Old 16-03-2005, 04:02 AM   #2
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

The Zetec has grey coloured background for the dials, where as the ST170 has electroluminescent dials. However, if you're thinking of putting in the EL dials of the ST170 into a CL, as far as ive been told its impossible because the ST uses a different scale for both tacho and speedo compared to both Zetec and CL. Similar story for the oil pressure and temp gauges, but if you have $550 worth of the folded stuff to blow just for the LITTLE gauges from Ford by all means do it, because its a plug n play jobbie, will look awesome, but just a "tad" overpriced for what they are in my eyes.

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

thanks for the reply chev,

Ive seen a picture of the ST dials but never actually seen them in real life. To be honest i dont like the look of them, have never liked white dials in cars and the ElectroLuminscent look looks to me like it could get difficult to read late at night etc. Does anyone with an ST find this?

I'm glad to hear they're plug and play, i assume that on lower models like CL you would need to possibly add things like oil pressure sensors? If so, thats not a big issue anyway.

Hopefully i'll be able to source one cheaper, being an ex-Ford Spares guy and all :voldar02: .

Anyway, got to get the car to put it in first!
Old 17-03-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Nah their quite clear and easy to read, not white its more like a metalic silver.
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 02:40 AM   #5
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
I'm glad to hear they're plug and play, i assume that on lower models like CL you would need to possibly add things like oil pressure sensors? If so, thats not a big issue anyway.
id kinda assume with the newer cars extreme reliance on sensors and computers, that the sensors would be there, just a matter of adding on the extra gauges.... could be wrong though

If you can get them cheaper, i certainly wana get in touch lol because id like to add them, but being a uni student and being kinda poor, its a "tad" out of my budget

Tom
Old 17-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
Suth
Suth

chevaps, my uni budget for a "new" car was $1200 for a clapped out auto KA laser (got the car for $1150 and bought a carton of coopers with the other $50). How the hell do you kids manage to live/work/study/buy oil pressure and temp guages for your new car? Please tell me you eat stuff other than heinz baked beans on toast like lots of uni students?!
Suth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suth
chevaps, my uni budget for a "new" car was $1200 for a clapped out auto KA laser (got the car for $1150 and bought a carton of coopers with the other $50). How the hell do you kids manage to live/work/study/buy oil pressure and temp guages for your new car? Please tell me you eat stuff other than heinz baked beans on toast like lots of uni students?!
I think the trick is to still be living at home with your folks, Mum doing the grocery shopping, Mum washing your clothes, Mum doing your ironing....lol
Old 17-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Wel, Im not a Uni Student. I work in design and have both a salary and commission based payments, so i do ok provided i work!

I'll look into the gauges and see what i can find out. If I can get them any cheaper we may look at a group buy or something.
Old 17-03-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
I think the trick is to still be living at home with your folks, Mum doing the grocery shopping, Mum washing your clothes, Mum doing your ironing....lol
You hit the nail right on the head!! lol. Being of Euro origin means that family is a big part of life and im lucky enough to have parents that want to hang on to me as long as they can... and why wouldnt i stay??
Food on the table, washed clothes, no rent, a car that is paid for.
They even pay my uni fees which means no HECS when i get out. Ive always had plan to go to uni, but my parents always said if i went to uni, id have a car provided i fill it with petrol lol but if i didnt wana go to uni, i can go work and buy my own car, which is a fair enough deal. Ive gone a bit further than paying for just petrol coz ive earnt quite a bit over the break. Ive so far paid rego, contributing to repayments and covering my uni expenses.... its a lil thing called respect for all the stuff they do for me.
Call me lucky, but i have great parents...

Tom
Old 17-03-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

NO HECS?!!!!! Daaaaaamn. I paid my own way thru uni. 5 days of uni per week and 2-3 shifts at work minimum for 3 years, usually 2 out of 3 full weekends. Busted my butt to save cash, inherited some money to buy part of my Focus and loaned a portion from Dad interest free but covered all HECS, textbooks, fees myself. I saved the rest. I got sick of Mum's Mondeo sitting in the garage never being driven and never being allowed to drive it so I went out and bought my own car much to my mother's dismay.... she couldn't understand when there was a car there yet she never let me drive the stupid thing. 2 years later I inherited some money and traded the Festiva Trio S in on the Zetec...

Now I am still broke but living out of home. I earn heaps more but spend way too much. HECS is a pig each month but I guess it's a small price to pay for a world class education whihc I am using and which is worth the money and time investment for me considering the future I have ahead of me. Future of driving Foci!!!
Old 18-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
james

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec

lol he has a point. :baby bott :hihi:
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post