Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Exhaust Options revisited

First time asking for me but im sure its been asked before.

Obviously one of the first performance mods would be a new exhaust system. I know absolutely jack about Focuses (so far), so im just wondering what the best system to get would be? Im thinking something around 2 1/4 with only one muffler, as im pretty sure the OEM one has 2 or 3, cant remember.

Tim, you mentioned you did a lot of testing to get the right sound, do you wanna tell me what combo you ended up with? If its as good as you say it is (havent had a chance to download the sound clip of it yet), it'll probably suit me too.

I DO NOT want something that sounds like a Fart on wheels. No cannons either, if anything i want it to be reasonably quiet whilst still having a bit of a note to it.

So please, give me a few suggestions as to what i should consider getting, and how much i would be looking at for it. Id love a Herrod sysem (assumig he does them for Foci?havent checked), but im sure it would be on the rather pricey side of things.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

2inch system, one resonator (hot dog) and a straight through muffler at the rear. sounds HOT
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

The stock system is a rather restrictive 1 3/4 inch twin muffler system, with highly inefficient mufflers.

The Herrod system in terms of sounds and power delivery is spot on for what you're looking for. It's a 2.5 inch system with twin mufflers. Relatively speaking to other exhausts it's is quiet, but still sexy and gives very good low down to midrange torque improvement. Personally the price is a little prohibitive, I just CANNOT justify $800 for an exhaust, but it is very high quality, stainless, mandrel bent, top notch stuff.

Most of us are going for a 2 1/4 system with high flow single muffler and no rear muffler. This gives a much needed top end performance hit, the car doesn't hit the wall at 5,500 rpm like the stock exhaust (and to some extent the Herrod system still doesn't do much to top end but it does help) and it gives both a sexier, deeper sound, nice popping/crackling depending on your muffler and a much stronger mid range/top end as opposed to bottom end.

I would highly recommend the Herrod system, or a similar 2.5 inch system with twin high flow mufflers. Perhaps you can custom build one similar without the price tag involved, or perhaps just in mild steel. Not sure if Herrods offer Mild stell, worth giving them a call. I have driven the Herrod system and I think something like that would best suit the auto anyway. You don't want loudness on an auto, it slurs too much. A quality 2.5inch with twin muffler would suit you perfectly and for around $400-$500 I reckon you'd be sweet, but worth shopping around.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well i guess anything with the Herrod name on it is going to attract a premium, itd certainly be nice though.

Any brands in particular that are good? There's no real performance orientated shops round here, and i tend not to believe what the average exhaust guy tells me, been caught out before.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I cant even put a new back box in due to their not being enough room according to one of the shops i went to,.

havent really looked under there tho.. *shrug*

Chris
Old 01-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #6
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Ive got a 2 1/4" mild steel, mandrel bent cat back exhaust with a single magnaflow muffler.
Awesome sound
No droning
No farting
No zing
Just a nice deep rumbly tone with the popping on downshifts and crackling on lift off...
$550
Very happy with it.

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much would you guys expect to pay to get Extractors supplies and fitted, High Flow cat fitted and a sport exhuast?
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:49 PM   #8
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

alot :P
pieoter, i askked today about extractors for our car and he said itd be a nightmare to make a set up.
i think we have to just import our own from uk ;)
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 12:28 AM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I don't think he's looking for extractors or cats though, especially in a base model auto, it's overkill. I'd say budget $500.

The problem is there ain't any major suppliers in Australia for specific Focus exhausts. The only two major names I'd recommend are either Herrods, or Lambros Mufflers in Sydney. Lambros does a similar system, sold through Infocusmotorsport.com - Marcus' company. They do a fantastic piece of kit.

I wanted something a little more unique, louder and cheaper (I paid $300 fitted) but I knew my exhaust guy (Nelson Fooks at Parramatta Exhaust, the nicest guy and works as one of only 2 long standing guys in a very well trusted shop, it's his own place.) as I sold cars for 6 months at Power Ford in Castle Hill and saw the quality of his work and even custom tuned an XR8 ute with a twin into quad exit system that sounded sensational, very high quality work. I didn't hesitate for a second to get an exhaust from him and he was so spot on it's like he could translate my words and feelings into pure metal. Unfortunately you don't have that kind of relationship, but any good, long standing zorst shop should be able to design exactly what you want by the explanation. From my knowledge though, you can't go wrong with Herrods or Lambros/Infocus.

Last edited by zetec; 02-04-2005 at 12:30 AM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2005, 12:52 AM   #10
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was hi-jacking the thread there sorry ;)

I would like to know more for myself how much would you guys expect to pay to get Extractors supplies and fitted, High Flow cat fitted and a sport exhuast.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post