Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
Mick K.

Default Focus Zetec max power / torque

Hi,

I couldn't find this info in the owner's handbook and was about to ask here, but just found it on the internet so thought I'd share it. I didn't even know the redline of my car (well there is no "red line", is there!) until just now! :O

Max Power = 96Kw at 5500rpm
Max Torque = 178 Nm at 4500rpm
80% of torque is available from idle to 6000rpm.
Redline = 7000rpm

Not that I know all this, I need to stop revving so much! _2:

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

they are nice power figures
wana trade engines?
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I thought the redline was 7,200rpm...that's what mine indicates. It starts choking at 7,000rpm indicated, and then cuts out at 7,200rpm indicated. Doesn't really matter though, as you say, no need to go that high, you can feel a slowing in acceleration after 5,500rpm.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Mines kicks along nicely until about 7,000 - 7200RPM when the rev litmier kicks in, so yeah there is a redline there !

Chris
Old 12-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
KJGH
G6E Driver

If you played around with this engine what sort of power could you get out of it before things start going horribly wrong?
KJGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

How long is a piece of string? I believe theoretically you can't see more than roughly 140kw before things start going stupid, dying early or blowing up. Naturally aspirated that is. Is it really worth it?!?!!

Non-ST170 definitely redlines at 6,800rpm with the ST pulling 500rpm more. Mine has smacked the limiter many a time, dead on 6,800. Try the old odometer trip computer reset trick and see what it indicates on redline, but Tim I'm quite surprised you pull 7,300rpm!!! Only reason the ST does is because it was made to breathe better. There's certainly no need to go above 5,500rpm on a stock engine given the cliff that power falls off beyond that, however liberating it with a simple higher flowing exhaust will REALLY work wonders for your top end power to the extent that now I can use ALL the way to 6,500prm on good power, gained another 1,000rpm worth of fun!!
Old 12-04-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
KJGH
G6E Driver

140kw is pretty good. I thought my Zetec was already a pocket rocket. I have to shake off the driving miss daisy routine if I am to mod my car.
:
KJGH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2005, 09:27 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

100-110kw is plenty for this kind of car, it stays driveable and fun. Anything beyond 115kw out of standard block would probably make it somewhat angry, 140kw would be seriously banzai. You'd really need a turbo to develop good smooth power. That or the buy the new 107kw model!!! The Zetec block just doesn't breathe well enough to be happily screaming beyond 6000rpm often like an ST engine.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
wilawok
Wellhowyoudoin!!

loving the 127kw in our st............ but had the 96kw with auto as a loaner the other day and was quite impressed none the less. but agreed a free flowing exhaust would work wonders!!!

V8 Explorer Limited in the garage, with upgraded sound and video....
Ridin on 20's with cat back exhaust and KKM pod filter assembly with custom heat shield (now looking at tuning options)
wilawok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It does
Old 14-04-2005, 03:06 AM   #11
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Made a world of difference to mine too.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

was pleasantly surprised with the results of my exhaust no more choking and better power all round
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post