Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Commercial storage of your pride and joy?

Hi all,

Quick question, would you store your beloved car in commercial storage places? Why or why not?

For those in Newcastle NSW, where would you store your prized possession?

Thanks for your input.

Brooksy

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
69ISH

Default Re: Commercial storage of your pride and joy?

A bit over 2 years ago I had my 69 Cougar stored at a storage shed that was costing me around $350 a month and then later I found a double garage through Gumtree that a guy leased out to me and I fitted my own locks to the external side of the garage door and the internal side of the door going from the garage to the house and I kept both my cougar and my Gran Torino there and that was costing me around $300 a month and I actually preferredmy cars there as the house was being rented by uni students and they were coming and going throughout the day so made it hard for it not to be noticed it anything was touched.
69ISH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never. Costs too much money to store a car.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

If you don't have any other options, may be try a couple of the car park buildings in Newcastle CBD. A few of them have recently converted some of their car parks into secure storage.

I have not looked into the details of it all and don't know the cost. However, I believe the car parks have CCTV footage of all cars coming and going. Also with so much traffic coming and going within the car parks it may deter anyone who may be thinking that they are entitled to your car while you are away. Also with some of these car parks I would assume that you would need some sort of card to open the boom gate to get the car out.

Maybe you have someone that could drop in where the car would be stored to ensure that it is still secure from time to time. This would also ensure that if the car was to be stolen you would still have the opportunity to get CCTV before the footage would be over written.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if only i had the garage space and a driveway your car could get down...

when we moved house we had our whole house worth of contents stored at kennards storage at belmont. you needed a PIN to enter the compund and put your own locks on the door to storage unit. our stuff was there for 4 months and stayed dry and bug/pest/rodent free. prices weren't too bad - but it was only a few months. and you can get insurance through them for whatever is in the shed.