Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 29-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How Does Rep Power Work?????????

If this is in the wrong section sincere appologies.

Hi guys, just curious how this rep power and smiley face icon works? Do mates give other mates rep power to boost their numbers? Is this monitored? Does having a lot of rep power automatically breed more rep power as other members feel obliged to pass it on? Do long serving members associate starter motors, newbies or members with a small amount of posts as inexperienced or "wet behind the ears"? I'm not being cynical, seriously i'd like to know how this works if anybody could help?
The other day i saw a thread with a member with 90+ posts but had 70+ rep power? How does that work?
I left these forums a couple of months ago in disgust after a member made some ridiculous accusation against me in a thread after voicing my opinion from my experience. I'd like to post more threads and comments as there are a lot of experienced members on this site, and i'd like to pass on my experience aswell. In my early 40's owned Ford 8's all my life (13, XC-BF) Currently own BA & BF XR8 and have a EL GT in storage. I'm a Ford enthusiast and NOT interested in mods, 1/4 mile times or bagging Holden.

Any help on my rep power question would be appreciated.

Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Rep power is based on number of posts made, length of time registered on the forum and number of rep given to you by other members

Edit: I never treat a newbie any differently as we were all newbies once!

Never let a few people put you off as they don't represent a majority. By and large a good group of ford enthusiasts here
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that, yeah i realize the majority of members are great guys and gals. So, to answer my question, then it is possible to have your rep power boosted by fellow members if you know enough members? That would explain a member with low posts with high rep power?
Old 29-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

In theory yes.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if somebody had extensive Ford experience with helpful comments, but was a bit of a loser with no friends on this site and he was chasing rep power,.................. he'd be in a bit of trouble? But thats not me of course.......................hmmmm
Seriously, cheers bud, thanks for the prompt repy and clearing that up.
Old 29-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
ch33z1l
Dawn

I usually give rep power for a quality post that is helpful to me and other members...and those members that seek out group buys and whom I've dealth with positively in the sales section.
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Also worthy of noting: The Forum does not let you constantly give the same person +rep points... it will actually tell you to 'spread them round' a little more before giving more +rep points to the same person....
Old 29-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Generally speaking - the rep system has been implemented in order to give people a 'very rough' idea as to how 'helpful, or community minded' another member is.
Rep 'should' be awarded for helpful / insightful posts, or things that others believe encourage the community spirit.
Unfortunately there has been a few occasions of 'mates' awarding 'mates' with rep solely to bump their rep status, or as pointed out above - or otherwise abused. We do have a few safeguards in place, and the admin / mod team are able to remove rep to members that are abusive, disrespectful, or in other ways attempt to artificially influence the system.
In short it provides new members with a quickguide in regards to how likely they are to get a helpful / useful reply from a supposedly more experienced / long serving member.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150gk
Thanks for that, yeah i realize the majority of members are great guys and gals. So, to answer my question, then it is possible to have your rep power boosted by fellow members if you know enough members? That would explain a member with low posts with high rep power?
While in theory this is possible in practice it does not take place. It requires 30 reps to be given out before one may be repeated and you may only rep 3 times in 24 hrs so for a group of friends to "rep" themselves up will take a VERY concerted effort over a fairly long time. This will increase the number of smilies as well as rep power.

The rep system is also audited by the administrative team on a fairly regular basis and such rorts are "adjusted" accordingly.

Should you find a member who has a low post count while demonstrating a large quantity of smilies it is probable that many of their posts are of a high quality and helpful to others.

Do not be confused by the "rep power" number. This is the ability to give rep to others rather than your own rep.

Should you find someone with very few smilies and very few posts but still with a highish rep power it just means they have been a member for a long time but have not contributed as much as others.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Generally speaking - the rep system has been implemented in order to give people a 'very rough' idea as to how 'helpful, or community minded' another member is.
Glad you said 'generally' ............... Case in question, view post above.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So does a member need a minimum number of posts before they can give rep power? For instance could an inexperienced newbie give an experienced member rep power even if they were given the wrong information?
So in theory a member who asks advice all the time rather than giving any should have no rep power except for their time as a member of Ford Forums, rather than their contribution?

Last edited by Glen 5150; 29-10-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: poor spelling
Old 29-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Here you go mate, have a read here, all you need to know,
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=green+faces
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Here you go mate, have a read here, all you need to know,
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ht=green+faces
Great, thanks mate, "clear as mud". No, really thanks that explains everything, it will just take time to get my head around it?
Just one question to the experienced members, when/if a fellow member gives you some rep and you view it in your User CP, is the correct procedure and ethical thing to do then is to thank them out of courtesy? Send them a quick p.m or don't members expect that?
Old 29-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Old 29-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
WMD351
Size it up

Quote:
Great, thanks mate, "clear as mud". No, really thanks that explains everything, it will just take time to get my head around it?
Just one question to the experienced members, when/if a fellow member gives you some rep and you view it in your User CP, is the correct procedure and ethical thing to do then is to thank them out of courtesy? Send them a quick p.m or don't members expect that?
It's entirely up to you mate, personally I like to.

edit: whoops, you said experienced members in my short time here some people do and some people don't.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #16
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
It's entirely up to you mate, personally I like to.
Yeah your right, sign of courtesy. Thanks to all members input, much appreciated.
Old 29-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
Some people have manners and some people dont ....but by and large if you give someone rep it is for something that has brightened your day yes?
And in that instance i wouldn't expect a PM of thanks although I do get a few but it does open the floodgates to more discussions behind the scenes and realising/retrieving each others posts/threads etc, which builds more interest and even more communication and more again willingness to assist instead of just reading the latest post's one might feel more involved and participate in it ...

This rep system has in my instance stopped me from casual spamming to increase my post count to actually seeking out or using Google and other forums to assist someone on here in trouble... and 9/10 times it is a newbie or someone i havn't noticed in my normal section before?

I believe its for the greater good mate , but admin will notice your contributions here and there... dont get too hung up on it eh ... peace out Daz..x..
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

[QUOTE=DAZZLER351]Some people have manners and some people dont ....but by and large if you give someone rep it is for something that has brightened your day yes?
QUOTE]
So I should accept a late PM from you then, from a rep point I gave to you a while back
Old 29-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
If this is in the wrong section sincere appologies.

Hi guys, just curious how this rep power and smiley face icon works? Do mates give other mates rep power to boost their numbers? Is this monitored? Does having a lot of rep power automatically breed more rep power as other members feel obliged to pass it on? Do long serving members associate starter motors, newbies or members with a small amount of posts as inexperienced or "wet behind the ears"? I'm not being cynical, seriously i'd like to know how this works if anybody could help?
The other day i saw a thread with a member with 90+ posts but had 70+ rep power? How does that work?
I left these forums a couple of months ago in disgust after a member made some ridiculous accusation against me in a thread after voicing my opinion from my experience. I'd like to post more threads and comments as there are a lot of experienced members on this site, and i'd like to pass on my experience aswell. In my early 40's owned Ford 8's all my life (13, XC-BF) Currently own BA & BF XR8 and have a EL GT in storage. I'm a Ford enthusiast and NOT interested in mods, 1/4 mile times or bagging Holden.

Any help on my rep power question would be appreciated.

i wont explain all the answers to the questions in your thread , because i cant. about the mates thing though , possible but unlikely . just look at long termers some have hardly any smileys , and some newbys already have a few with very small posts up . i can say myself , that i give rep points out to newbys if they have an interesting thread , or info .. others i havent given any rep . i have had admin even give me negative rep , in one case .
i think the answer is not to be too concerned with the smileys , i know you are interested there is a STICKY ; thread here that explains all the details . but at the endof the day , everyone contributes to this forum and all members i think try to be fair " there isnt any reason not to be " .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Maybe we need a poll on whether or not we think Flappist deserves all the rep he has.

Of course, it would not be able to be so simple, it would have to be worded hypothetically!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #21
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

In short - there is far FAR more to AFF then a high reputation...
As with most things in life, it is more about quality, then quantity...
Old 29-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #22
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
As with most things in life, it is more about quality, then quantity...
That's what I keep reminding the wife of,
Old 29-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #23
wulos
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
That's what I keep reminding the wife of,
toooo much info.... hehehe.
Old 30-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #24
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
So if somebody had extensive Ford experience with helpful comments, but was a bit of a loser with no friends on this site and he was chasing rep power,.................. he'd be in a bit of trouble? But thats not me of course.......................hmmmm
Seriously, cheers bud, thanks for the prompt repy and clearing that up.

Not really, I have no friends and I am doing ok in all this rep thing

I don't really worry too much about the rep thing and how much I get but I do like having it there to acknowledge posts from others that I appreciate. I have developed a bit of a criteria to which I award points. These are not always posts that I agree with (in their content), I have even awarded Flappist points on occasion and I regularly disagree with him

I normally award posts that the author has put some thought into it and effort expaining their point of view or I can see that their post has had a positive influence on the quality of the forum. Posts making a statement without backing it up such as "brand x is crap, nuf said" never get rep from me, they do not contribute to any discussion meaningfully and are not worth it.

Yes some reasonably short term members have really rocketed up the rep points but if you review their posts, they are normally the ones that put some serious effort into what they say and use the method of quality not quantity.

As for the passing rep to each other amongst friends, the way the system is set up it would be terribly labourious and time consuming. Just to give one friend 5 lots of rep points, you would have to give out rep points to 150 other people in the process. Anyone doing this should really get a life as there is no prize at the end. Using this example, if I was to give someone rep 5 times it would add up to 700 points which is probably enough for one smilie face, a lot of effort for one smilie.

As for treating members with less posts or rep differently to those with more, not in my mind. I treat everyone the same, listen to what they have to say, think about it and either agree or disagree as appropriate, rep or post count has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, the single biggest thing I have noticed is if you put a bit of thought, perhaps some research and some effort into your posts, the rep seems to happen as a matter of due course.

Anyway, enjoy the company and may you find many smilies coming your way in the future.
Old 30-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
... Anyone doing this should really get a life as there is no prize at the end.
I heard you win the internets, all of them.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #26
WMD351
Size it up

I thought the saying was "he who dies with the most rep, wins"
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #27
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD351
I thought the saying was "he who dies with the most rep, wins"
Nah he who dies with the most rep still dies .....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #28
landau460
BA MK2 GT

my wife will love this one didnt ABBA say "the winner takes it all"

Now i got that song stuck in my head damn

Fords I've owned

80 escort panelvan, 73 Landau, 73 xa fairmont, 74 Landau, 75 Landau, 75xb falcon, 67 falcon, 80 xd falcon, 94 ed falcon, 05 mk2 GT
landau460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Not really, I have no friends and I am doing ok in all this rep thing

I don't really worry too much about the rep thing and how much I get but I do like having it there to acknowledge posts from others that I appreciate. I have developed a bit of a criteria to which I award points. These are not always posts that I agree with (in their content), I have even awarded Flappist points on occasion and I regularly disagree with him

Yeh but I forgive you for being wrong so often.....
Old 30-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

i just 'generally' dont 'hand out' rep or take much regard to it.

At the end of the day, a good post is a good post regardless of 1 rep or 2352346346 rep.

Lots of members post lots of crap, and have a reasonable amount - high rep, myself included.

There is no criteria as such but yeah, its not about gaining smileys to gain credibility. In the industry where i work, it's experience that counts, not the qualifications so to speak.