Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Harpoon
Starter Motor

Default The XR5 and Cruise Control

Hi there.

If I could get a learned opinion on this matter.

I am looking at the new XR5 just for me to run backwards and forwards betwen Sydney and Canberra. Mainly Highway driving.

The beastie has no cruise control (CC) and I want one for obvious reasons. :

Ford will not fit one : so I have to get an after market one.

Waranty issues asside.

I am an Engineer so I do understand technical jargon.

Can anyone give me detailed advice on After Market CC and what they hook into ? from a mechcnial point of view ? from an Auto elecyronce point of view ?

How do they hook into the ECU ? Has the ECU been set up for these ?

Anyone had any experience with After market CC, any deliterious effects ?

Thanks in advance

Harpoon

Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

wouldn't have a clue - but check out www.fordxr5turbo.com

Might get an answer from there, as there are more xr5t owners

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Harpoon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
wouldn't have a clue - but check out www.fordxr5turbo.com

Might get an answer from there, as there are more xr5t owners
Hi

Thanks

Been there, they cannot help.

Harpoon
Harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I think your best option would be to talk a very good auto elec, this is a down side I believe with the XR5, it should have cruise.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think 'most' current aftermarket cruise control units are somehow linked into the electronic speedo/throttle.....
But i could be wrong...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
amlohac

I have an aftermarket hooked up to my 2003 focus, when i bought my car there was also no such thing as a cruise control (untill they introduced one) I have no problems at all with mine.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
Mick K.

I got the Ford factory cruise fitted to my 2003 Zetec after checking out a number of aftermarket alternatives. If my car had the optional ZDC (ie: stability control) Ford wouldn't have fitted it. Perhaps there is an issue with the stability control in both LR and LS Focus needing to have instant access to throttle and brake control which may be affected by cruise control - sounds physically possible but perhaps the the stability and cruise CPU / software don't talk to each other??

The non-Ford alternatives were either electronic or vacuum operated. Electronic was more accurate and probably a bit neater, and vacuum was cheaper. I spoke to places that did tinting, alarms, paint protection etc about this. They seemed a bit dodgey, but if Ford refused to fit a factory kit for me, then that's what I would have ended up with.

IIRC prices for the aftermarket ones were around 400-600 fitted, and around 900 for the Ford kit fitted.

As I said this was for the LR Focus. Good luck. I'd be looking around too if I was purchasing an XR5.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy it and i'll swap you for my zetec :P
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Some dealers are already talking about fitting aftermarket options as it seems there is a need for this in todays world.

To be really honest if they couldnt engineer the car to take cruise control then they have some serious issues as there arent many sub 40,000 k cars on todays market that dont have it..

They offer it in the Zetec, to not offer it in the XR5T is a bit of a joke if you ask me.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Does the S40 T5 have it?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 10-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
amlohac

I belive that the stability control has alot to do with fords reluctance to fit cruise to the xr5t. I have heard that excuse before. Its not safe to have the cruise activated with a car that has it? Sounds kind of stupid i know but thats what ive heard.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #12
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
I belive that the stability control has alot to do with fords reluctance to fit cruise to the xr5t. I have heard that excuse before. Its not safe to have the cruise activated with a car that has it? Sounds kind of stupid i know but thats what ive heard.
XR6T has stability control and cruise - why wouldn't XR5T?
Old 10-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
amlohac

I have no idea, but thats one of the excuses i have heard. Like i said, "sounds kind of stupid..." Maybe it has something to do with the fact its FWD and not RWD? Someone must know why exactly, surely it isnt because ford is lazy?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

My Renault has cruise and ESP - both work together. And my car is FWD. No excuse...

Old 11-05-2006, 12:55 AM   #15
amlohac

Well then harpoon, take it to a good auto elec tell em what you want, sounds like it should be an easy enough job for someone who knows what they are doing. You might pay a little bit for it but if you really want it then its all good.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #16
lincoln
Blinded

Quote:
Does the S40 T5 have it?
Yes, Volvo have cruise across the range
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2006, 10:42 PM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
XR6T has stability control and cruise - why wouldn't XR5T?
Ford Europe simply didn't code it into the car's computer. No demand for it in Europe, hence it didn't get engineered for the car.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I still don't get the "no demand in europe" thing. There are highways from country to country there! What, do STs never see the autobahn?

Old 12-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #19
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I still don't get the "no demand in europe" thing. There are highways from country to country there! What, do STs never see the autobahn?

Thats what i thought, just about all my relatives (In the EU) say they wont live without cruise control... given most of them are reps on the road......

Anyway, It doesnt have it, its an awesome car without the minor omission.
Old 13-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
I learnt to drive in Europe and cruise control is your right foot and your eyes, you drive to the conditions, traffic, road and speed limits. It's not so critical there to stay wihin 2-3 km of the posted limit as you don't get jailed for it unlike here... they also generally don't drive 5-10 hour drives like a lot of us do here. Sure they have highways. Local authorities don't understand the concepts in Australia of a) Driver skill, b) Drivers having individual judgement or c) Allowing/educating drivers to drive to the conditions. Europeans are practically born with it.

Lastly, if I was caning along an autobahn, the last thing I'd want would be normal cruise control. In all the times we drove on autobahns, we never used it, none of the Peugeots or Audis we drove in even had it fitted. At the absolute minimum, I'd want radar cruise control (eg Disctronic), but not normal automatic. At those speeds you shouldn't be resting your feet anywhere, you should always be ready to hit the brakes if someone pulls out or doesn't merge to the right. My 2c anyway.
Old 13-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Zetec - you can always put your foot on the brake if someone pulls out, even with cruise on. I just remember sitting on 160km/h in Portugal - surely cruise control would work in Europe!

Old 15-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #22
lincoln
Blinded

I use cruise all of the time in the UK... especially in the 30 and 40mph zone which are near on impossible to adhere to. With so many speed cameras here, I think it's an appalling ommision from Ford. If they think people don't want it, they're simply wrong. This absurd idea that a hot hatch doesn't need it shows how out of touch a mainstream manufacturer can be with the market. The ST is such a great car and appeals to such a wide demographic, but I feel such ommissions narrow it again. The VW Golf GTI appeals to the same demographic as the ST and then some again.

Cruise control is a brilliant safety features that aids in combating driver fatigure. For a 5 star safety car, it's missing a significant safety feature.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 05:36 PM   #23
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Not sure if i'd classify cruise to be a 'safety feature'. It is indeed a very handy item to have but imo cruise makes for a lazier drive which in my mind = less attention paid to driving the car.

Not arguing with the fact that it should have cruise for the AU market... cos it should!
Old 13-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #24
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Holden Astra Turbo Launch Press Release

An extensive standard equipment listing includes cruise control, power
windows, climate control air conditioning, leather-faced seats, heatable
front sports seats, six-stack in-dash Blaupunkt CD player, premium seven
speaker system, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, graphic information
display, sunshades with illuminated vanity mirrors, sunglasses storage and
colour-keyed floor mats.
Another "hot hatch" is launched with cruise control. Note that Holden list it first on the equipment list - perhaps they are hearing the criticisms of the XR5?

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Climate Control also... sounds like more features for $34,990, but less performance

Old 14-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #26
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Climate Control also... sounds like more features for $34,990, but less performance
They wouldnt really be considered DIRECT competitors would they ?
Old 14-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

the new focus is drive by wire isn't it?

If so then you are going to have issues getting an aftermarket cruise. Unless you have a very good understanding of ECU codes etc etc; and even then you have to access it.

It is the dumbest thing Ford Oz has done in a while, and thats saying something. Can UK ST's have it?

Maybe it was left out in order to bring the price tag down? Even so it should be an OPTION.

Will Ford ever do anything 100% right, its really not that hard.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #28
Forg
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
the new focus is drive by wire isn't it?
If so then you are going to have issues getting an aftermarket cruise.
That kinda depends ... how is the accelerator linked to the pot it runs? Is it direct, or is there a cable? 'Cos the cruise could operate on that cable, rather than a cable that's operating the throttle-body itself.
I've not looked at the throttle setup though, so it's just guesswork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I use cruise all of the time in the UK
Hiya, dude!!

Oh, an aside ... Ford probably looked at whether or not it was worth spending the time doing, or whether they'd be better getting to market early. Remember that the Mighty WRX went without cruise for years (does it still do without?).
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #29
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
It is the dumbest thing Ford Oz has done in a while, and thats saying something. Can UK ST's have it?

Maybe it was left out in order to bring the price tag down? Even so it should be an OPTION.

Will Ford ever do anything 100% right, its really not that hard.
Funny thing is your giving it to Ford Australia about not having cruise, the Focus ST in Europe doesn't even have cruise. You have to understand that its a sports car.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 01:37 AM   #30
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I believe the ST doesn't have it.... and it wasn't feasible to have developed cruise control for 400odd Australian bound cars.

Cruise has come out on other Hot Hatch/Sports Cars..... Sometimes it just takes time though!