Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
WagonBuild
Cruisin'

Default Dodgy overseas Paypal scams?

So, i've been trying to sell a bike lately (PLUG!), and I get this text on my phone (as I included my number in the ad) from a New Zealand number asking me to email this address, asking how much the bike is.

Already sceptical, I email the guy anyway. I get a reply and the email goes something like:

'I'll buy your bike for $x' (an amount MORE than what i'm asking for) 'provide me with your Paypal details, and i'll transfer the money into your account. I am buying it to ship internationally to New Zealand, but I will take care of any charges for shipping. After the transaction has cleared, provide me with your details, and i'll have my shipping agent sent to your address to pick up the bike'

Obviously i've para-phrased but you get the idea. The email was a bit longer and included a few grammatical errors. I've read about Paypal scams before, so I email back, again paraphrased:

'I don't have Paypal, although, as stated in the ad, I accept cash on pickup and bank checks'

Let's just see what he say's about that...

So I've read up on Paypal scams and this situation kind of matches some that i've read about, but I can't really identify it yet. Not sure if it's scam, or a genuine NZ dirbike enthusiast. Any thoughts?

WagonBuild is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Default Re: Dodgy overseas Paypal scams?

If you get a text asking you to reply via an email,It is a scam

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
WagonBuild
Cruisin'

Well then, i've already been duped. I'll just have some fun, then. See how long I can play with this bloke before he realizes....heh heh heh.
Old 26-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The website, www.thescambaiter.com has some pretty funny stories about baiting the scammers.

Anus laptops anyone?
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
WagonBuild
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
The website, www.thescambaiter.com has some pretty funny stories about baiting the scammers.

Anus laptops anyone?
HAHA! That is hilarious! Gives me too many ideas.