Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 
Default [VIC]-Cheap Palm Plants in Melbourne

Hi all,

For anyone in Melbourne looking to buy palm trees... you know how expensive they can get.

I know because I've been looking for a while, so have been saving to deck out my backyard.

Right now, there is a guy in Rowville who has set up shop for 2-3 weeks only, and has brought down a heap of stock from his farm in Coffs Harbour.
He is unbelievably cheap, and the more you buy the more he will look after you. I was having a chat to him, and he is receiving another shipment Wed arvo next week, so will have all new stuff as most of his big ones have already sold out.

If you're looking to buy, I highly recommend going to see him, you will not be disappointed.

Some plants that you would normally pay $150-$200 for at most nurseries, he is selling for $50-80!!

I just bought all these...

2 Banana palms
6 Coco palms
10 Giant birds of paradise
4 Birds of paradise
20 Darf palms
4 Red cordylines

All this would have cost me well over $1500 at a nursery. I didn't even pay half that!
I'm going back mid week only because I couldn't fit more in my trailer the first time around!!

I don't know him, but I know how expensive this stuff is, so I thought I'd let you all know because this is a great opportunity.

He is located on Stud Rd, in Rowville. Near the Stud Park Shopping Center, next to the Pool Shop. You won't miss it, there are PALM SALE signs all over.

Have fun!

Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Traps for young players

Hey Pearly, I'm a horticulturist with 25 odd years experience in the game. I hope your plants perform well in your garden, but my experience tells me this;
-most plants grown in the tropics need at least twelve months in a nursery "down south" to harden off, i.e. to acclimatise to the conditions. That is why they cost so much more to buy here.
-you can source cheap tropical plants yourself by buying direct from nurseries up north. A quick google will give you a range of suppliers.
-plants grown in Coffs Harbour have never experienced a Melbourne autumn, let alone winter. They need to be kept out of the cold and slowly exposed to it before being planted out.

You can plant out what you have bought now direct into you garden, but expect some to die and others not to grow much or at all for a long time.

Sorry to be a joy gem mate, I hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

Thanks mate, I know I'm expecting most if not all to shrivel up, but I've just trimmed them down in the past and after a few months they spring back up.
This is what we did at my parents place, then they've grown slowly, but I'm not in a real hurry.
They are so cheap anyway, I'm not too worried if a few die completely.

In saying that though, would you recommend I didn't plant them right now, and kept them out of the cold?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly
Thanks mate, I know I'm expecting most if not all to shrivel up, but I've just trimmed them down in the past and after a few months they spring back up.
This is what we did at my parents place, then they've grown slowly, but I'm not in a real hurry.
They are so cheap anyway, I'm not too worried if a few die completely.

In saying that though, would you recommend I didn't plant them right now, and kept them out of the cold?

If you're happy to maybe lose a few plants, and have to wait a while for the rest to really get moving then go for it.

Acclimatising plants is something I am happy to pay others to do, as I know little about specifics of the various varieties.

Frost is probably going to be the biggest surprise for your plants. You can cover them or water them when frost is forecast, or plant them in an area protected from frost and cold.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

Default cheap palms

hi warren i bought a heap of palms 5 years ago 17 of them and only 4 didnt make it and now some are 35 ft tall they were 6 ft when i bought them pm me if you like and if your in area come and have a look cheers gary
ego gtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Boostbro

How's your Palms going Pearly?

The Massive Palm sale is back @ Rowville. (Very Cheap plants).

I have bought plants off this guy over the years & have not had one die on me yet, The stuff he sells is not too tropical, it's stuff commonly seen growing in Melbourne gardens.
Boostbro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly
2 Banana palms
6 Coco palms
10 Giant birds of paradise
4 Birds of paradise
20 Darf palms
4 Red cordylines
Apart from the Banana palms the rest are all very hardy for southern areas and shouldn't have too much of a problem. There is also a bloke setting up in Canterbury rd Bayswater Nth getting ready to open ..... just says opening soon.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Pearly
Lowriding

Mine are going fine. The banana palms have shriveled up a fair bit due to the cold, but they are not dead. In fact nothing has died, and really I haven't touched them since I planted them.

I think it may be him as well setting up in Bayswater. He said something about setting up in Bayswater before.

I'll be paying him another visit this coming weekend to pick up a huge palm as a house warming gift for my brother.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Warren I have seen an empty yard that has a palm sale advertised all over it just up from where I work between Bayswater Rd and Dorset rd, on Canterbury. It looks like he has setup, sold his stock and moved on???
Old 09-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Pearly
Lowriding

I don't know if that's him. I'll ask him on the weekend.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
Boostbro

Yeah it's him, same guy. Heard him advertising on 91.5fm today "Garys gone mad, Massive massive palm Sale, 2 locations Stud Road Rowville, & Canterbury Road Baywater-Is it the old AArons outdoor creation site?
Boostbro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostbro
-Is it the old AArons outdoor creation site?
....... tis that site

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostbro
Yeah it's him, same guy. Heard him advertising on 91.5fm today "Garys gone mad, Massive massive palm Sale, 2 locations Stud Road Rowville, & Canterbury Road Baywater-Is it the old AArons outdoor creation site?
I heard the same add this morning. I'm tempted to buy some.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post