Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Thankfull
Banned

Default New Legislation for SA P Plate Drivers

The News services in Adelaide have been reporting the unusualy high road toll in South Australia so far this year....

It is almost double what it was this time last year...personaly I figure that is because there are now more people than ever using the roads.

The News services are claiming the figures nearly doubled because the increased fatality figures are made up of drivers under the age of 25 years, or their passengers, killed in the accidents.

However questions are being asked in the Media at the moment about the new legislation concerning P plate drivers in SA...and why it has not yet been acted upon by parliment, in view of the rising Death rate on SA roads of the 25 years and under age group.

The New Legislation before Parliment at the moment...

No turbo powered....no sports V6 powered cars....no V8 motor cars to be driven by P platers....also supervised driving increased from 6 months to 12 months....

It will be interesting to see how the South Australian Parliment reacts to the media pressure, in the comming weeks....

Cheers all

Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

seems fair to me, except maybe the sports v6 part. then again there are some pretty powerful v6's out there. it would bring SA more inline with a lot of other states..
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Kawasakirider

Sounds like QLD laws. I guess the next lot of legislation will make sure P plater's aren't allowed commodores or falcons either, lol.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirider
Sounds like QLD laws. I guess the next lot of legislation will make sure P plater's aren't allowed commodores or falcons either, lol.
Not as stupid as it sounds.. especially commodores..

Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Kawasakirider

Lol, I know it's not stupid. I'm just trying to say that they are going to continue to limit the types of cars P platers like me are allowed to drive until there aren't any that are gutless enough to meet the specifications.

TBH, I'm glad I can't own a turbo car yet. Not for the fact I think I'd kill myself in it, I'd drive it sensibly like I do now, but I couldn't afford the maintenance on it lol.

Unfortunately, no matter what sort of car someone drives, accidents will happen. I do see the sense in what the government is trying to do, though.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

we do need some sought of legislation fast.still,i think power to weight needs a good look at.renault clio sport 130KW in a 1 tonne car would be legal otherwise,these are dead set rockets for a factory car(FWD).They need the new legislation at a minimum.out of interest,in QLD if your 30yold and loose your liscence for some time and have to go back on Ps,do they get to drive what they were driving before(XR6t) for the remainder of Ps?thankyou.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I agree guys with the new laws, and im not trying to start anything here by any means, but when these people hit 25, buy their first WRX/SS/XRT etc, will they be any better off in knowing how to respect the power in these vehicles? I believe that this will just result in the people increasing the road toll being of slightly higher age.
Should there be a seperate licence for driving a car with say 250+kw?
Old 13-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #8
EgoFalcon
The Villan

The rules is almost same as nsw and qlds, but sports v6's? Where do you draw the line there?

Base falcon - tick
G6E - tick
xr6 - cross

Omega commodore - tick
Calais - tick
Sv6 - cross

Where do you draw the line? Please tell me.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
Old 13-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
GSfalcon500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
I agree guys with the new laws, and im not trying to start anything here by any means, but when these people hit 25, buy their first WRX/SS/XRT etc, will they be any better off in knowing how to respect the power in these vehicles? I believe that this will just result in the people increasing the road toll being of slightly higher age.
Should there be a seperate licence for driving a car with say 250+kw?
maybe if what your saying happens in that people graduating from there Ps at 25 and getting into high powered cars with no experience to handle them resulting in deaths , they will just bring out another class of provisional licence say a 'insert color here' P plate for those aged 25-30 with more draconian and arbitrary restrictions to further emasculate the population of young men.
Old 13-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #10
prydey
Rob

i feel sorry for anyone learning to drive at the moment. the media and the government continue to blindly flog a dead horse because thats the area that has the most public impact. i'm referring to their one eyed focus on speeding and high powered vehicles being the main reason for the road toll. the latest one was an xf falcon - hardly a performance car. maybe in a newer car they may have faired better. its just far too easy to blame it on cars/speed/young people and do nothing serious about addressing the real problems.

the stupidity of the people involved in the accidents is making life difficult for all car enthusiasts. i own a modified v8. it can be quite loud if i give it a squirt. does owning a loud car make me a hoon? i have been driving down a residential street at 30-40km/h and had old fogies wave their hand at me to slow down. : the last thing i want is to be targeted by the boys in blue simply because i own/drive a fast (ish) car.
Old 13-06-2009, 04:08 AM   #11
anto
Za Dom spremni

whatever they do they need to do it fast, hardly a day goes by that I dont see a P plater doing something stupid on the road, more often than not they like to tailgate for some reason, and I mean really close. Last guy that did that to me got a lesson he wont soon forget..
Burnouts, flying down sidestreets at ridiculous speeds are all the norm in my neck of the woods. Worst of all for me is when Im wating to pick up the kids at school, without fail almost everyday there is some nob jockey P plater speeding by while kids are crossing the road...

I remember reading Ford had some technologyin the states coming online...something about the keyfob security for parents enabling them to lock stereo volume limiting speeds and such things...

something has to be done.
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 13-06-2009, 04:47 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
whatever they do they need to do it fast, hardly a day goes by that I dont see a P plater doing something stupid on the road, more often than not they like to tailgate for some reason, and I mean really close. Last guy that did that to me got a lesson he wont soon forget..
Burnouts, flying down sidestreets at ridiculous speeds are all the norm in my neck of the woods. Worst of all for me is when Im wating to pick up the kids at school, without fail almost everyday there is some nob jockey P plater speeding by while kids are crossing the road...

I remember reading Ford had some technologyin the states coming online...something about the keyfob security for parents enabling them to lock stereo volume limiting speeds and such things...

something has to be done.
agreed. the sooner they stop focussing on the type of car driven the better we'll all be. i was a p plater once, as were most other people on here. if not a p plater then a teenager/young person. i learnt to drive in a mini and a datto 200b. hardly performance cars and yet i still managed to do some stupid things. my dad has stories of him growing up (on a farm so driving from a very young age) and the human mind isn't a lot different now to what it was then. its all about attitude.
Old 13-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something has to be done mbe slowing em down a bit is probly a good start.. 18-19yo a wrexy or skyline is WAY to much car.. Is it a culture thing these kids have grown up with the 'fast n flurious.. X-BOX boy racer crap in their heads.. but geez they dont slip off the road into a light pole & kill maim injure in the movies/games do they.. for me if i had a dollar moment.. cruisin along in the old school missus n kids in car.. knuckle head P plater pulls alongside wants a run.. GO AWAY upset they roar off up the road anyway looking for another RACE... GROW UP YOU CLOWNS!!!

Last edited by pottery beige; 13-06-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 13-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
seems fair to me, except maybe the sports v6 part. then again there are some pretty powerful v6's out there. it would bring SA more inline with a lot of other states..
350Z, 370Z, M3, Porsche etc all restricted in QLD.
Old 13-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #15
outside
off in outer space

anything to keep our kids alive, i shudder each time i wake up in the morning and hear on the news that a young driver has been kill, i have a 24 years son, who by the way lives in SA.
Old 13-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Thankfull
Banned

I have travelled the World, but always end up back in Adelaide where I was born and raised, but I must admit, I have noticed the rising road toll here in South Australia.

South Australia, in the past has always seemed reluctant to pass on new legislation regarding the driving public, probably because we do not have the larger population of the Eastern States...not as many people on the road.

That looks like changing though.....

Just a funny short story for you about P platers....back in 1977 I was going out with 2 sisters who came from Melbourne, (Lorraine and Johanne) I was 20 they where 19 and 21, anyhow we drove over to Melbourne, in Lorraines car which was one of those crappy 4 cylinder early 70s Toranas that where a dime a dozen back in those days.

Anyhow as we where entering the Out skirts of Melbourne I had started to notice cars now and then that had these P Plates displayed on them....we never had P plates in South Australia in those days, so from the back seat I asked the Girls what are these P plates I keep seeing on cars?

Well the Girls looked at each other....and mentioned the male member ( the P word)....laughed....and continued driving.

They did get around to explaining the real purpose of the P plates in Victoria a few minutes later....

Cheers All
Old 13-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Bring on a national system, silly having different rules across state lines.
Old 13-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
350Z, 370Z, M3, Porsche etc all restricted in QLD.
Beat me to it, same here in Victoria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 13-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Maaaaaayyyyte, The NSW graduated licensing system IS becoming the national norm, further advancement was made back in December 15, 2004 to that effect.

The graduated licensing systems you see are harmonising around AUS, and they adopt EU driver tuition core code with an emphasis in AUS on the DEFENSIVE driver component in particular.

In relation rules, do you mean ARR's? Rem; Australia IS a nation of sovereign States, I'll not go one big central GovCo, no way.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 13-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
Just a funny short story for you about P platers....back in 1977 I was going out with 2 sisters who came from Melbourne, (Lorraine and Johanne) I was 20 they where 19 and 21, anyhow we drove over to Melbourne, in Lorraines car which was one of those crappy 4 cylinder early 70s Toranas that where a dime a dozen back in those days.

Anyhow as we where entering the Out skirts of Melbourne I had started to notice cars now and then that had these P Plates displayed on them....we never had P plates in South Australia in those days, so from the back seat I asked the Girls what are these P plates I keep seeing on cars?

Well the Girls looked at each other....and mentioned the male member ( the P word)....laughed....and continued driving.

They did get around to explaining the real purpose of the P plates in Victoria a few minutes later....
Ahem. I don't think you've quite finished the story. It looks, err, half done. :
Old 14-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #21
seduced_xr
BF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i feel sorry for anyone learning to drive at the moment.
your not wrong there. im under the WA laws and im still being hit hard. 6 month wait now between the Phase 2 test and the HPT. in that time i have to do 25 hours. i completed the 25 hours about 2 months ago.. im just sitting around waiting. surely the governent isnt that stupid to not realise its affecting us getting to work uni and tafe..
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
Old 14-06-2009, 03:40 AM   #22
prydey
Rob

i wonder if anyone will join the dots and realise that s.a. is also the only state where there is no drag strip/off street facility.

you are never going to stop young kids (mainly males) wanting to go fast in cars. its been happening since the beginning of time (almost). i'm not saying that it would make a difference but they'll never know if there isn't one.

a lot of accidents have been just plain stupidity, rather than going fast. i just find it ironic that a lot of people that critisize the behaviour or rules today, grew up doing exactly the same things and sometimes worse.

this'll probably open a can of worms but i'd say its more to do with drugs and alcohol than a particular type of car.
Old 14-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #23
MAVRCK
Starter Motor

We have nothing like that in New Zealand. You can have a rice rocket putting out 200kw+ ATW on your learners. While we have a learners - resticted then full license system, only restrictions are passengers and curfew. Other problem is you can pick up almost any car with $1 deposit. There have been cases of wrx's, RX7's etc being sold to learner drivers, then being wrapped around a lamp post the next day.
Old 14-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
i wonder if anyone will join the dots and realise that s.a. is also the only state where there is no drag strip/off street facility.

you are never going to stop young kids (mainly males) wanting to go fast in cars. its been happening since the beginning of time (almost). i'm not saying that it would make a difference but they'll never know if there isn't one.

a lot of accidents have been just plain stupidity, rather than going fast. i just find it ironic that a lot of people that critisize the behaviour or rules today, grew up doing exactly the same things and sometimes worse.

this'll probably open a can of worms but i'd say its more to do with drugs and alcohol than a particular type of car.
Very well said,

Furthermore, instead of making police the enemy in many youths eyes, maybe if we did have meetings at the drag strip (yes still waiting) and have an occasional night of "beat your local policeman" (or something similar to this with real police) this would show many people that there are also some really nice police that are car enthusiasts too, and beating them or even just racing them on the race track under controlled conditions with safety barriers and ambulance present etc would be a great "ice breaker" for the young hot rodder and the local police.
At present, we are seeing many more car chases as the rules are so tough, people are not wanting to lose their vehicles and are running from the police more than ever, and in my humble opinion, this will increase also.
Old 14-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A track is a great idea but it wont have any impact on reducing street racing or the road toll...
The kind of people who enjoy drag racing legally and safely are by and large not really the people who create the street racing problem, nor are the ones dying on our roads...
The track will benefit decent drag racers who are currently not racing.
The Tools who street race or behave badly on our roads most likely wont pay the cost to race legally, probably wont/can't present their car is a safe fit state to pass scrutineering and id say just enjoy the "buzz" from braking the law...
Street racing is partly "social" partly "opportunistic" and partly "rebellion", Create rules and control and you take the enjoyment away from most of them.....
The "street racers" will be the critics and hero's sitting in the stands gobbing off and watching a street event then go race their mates on the way home.....
The streer racer's "mecca" is a Macca's carpark...

Old 14-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A track is a great idea but it wont have any impact on reducing street racing or the road toll...
i guess we'll never know until they build one.

Quote:
Street racing is partly "social" partly "opportunistic" and partly "rebellion", Create rules and control and you take the enjoyment away from most of them.....
I would suggest it could have the opposite effect. more and more rules will just make the challenge greater. a bit like when you are young and your parents tell you NOT to do something...

i'm not so old that i can't remember what it was like when i was learning. there were no restrictions, and people still drove fast in cars and occasionally ran out of talent. the problem these days goes way beyond what is happening on the street. its a whole new lifestyle the 'young' lead these days and quite often its a matter of 'when' and not 'if'.

like i mentioned earlier, a large number of these accidents and deaths are not the result of drag racing, but just sheer stupidity. drugs and alcohol have a lot to answer for.

i think the govt needs to be a lot tougher in some areas. recently a new energy drink was allowed onto the market. it is called 'cocaine'. this is just blatant glorifying of drugs. call me a fuddy duddy if you will. while they focus on cars, general society suffers.
Old 14-06-2009, 01:10 PM   #27
bluebloodxr8
Was born with blue blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Please lets all make some noise about a national system, but not just for road rules, I would like everything national.
Help me drag WA out of the 1970's. :
Old 14-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i guess we'll never know until they build one.
We have 2 strips here in Vic and the problem is just as bad here... so i think the evidence is there to support my position on this.. Not everyone is interested in formalised drag racing, in fact id suggest most car/motorsport enthusiasts are not.

As a coach for over 20 years of kids from the age of 12 to 20 i can spend hours telling you about my observations of how attitude and behaviors have changed over that time, some taught and encouraged by parents, some taught at school, some adopted through peer pressure, some through observations of our litigative process, in short the overwhelming thing ive noticed is kids awareness of their "rights" at the expense of their "responsibilities", and how this influences their behavior towards authority and rules.....

Last edited by 4Vman; 14-06-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 14-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #29
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
We have 2 strips here in Vic and the problem is just as bad here... so i think the evidence is there to support my position on this.. Not everyone is interested in drag racing, in fact id suggest most motorsport enthusiasts are not.
to be honest, i couldn't sit down and watch a drag racing event. i would much prefer circuit racing... however, i own a modified v8 and there is no outlet here to see what it will do. as you know, being a long time meber on the forum, 1/4 mile times are what performance is judged on.

i would just prefer they built one, rather than sit there and say 'other states have them and it doesn't help there, so why bother'!!

S.A. road toll is over double for the same time last year. its just in the spotlight at the moment.

Quote:
As a coach for over 20 years of kids from the age of 12 to 20 i can spend hours telling you about my observations of how attitude and behaviors have changed over that time, some taught and encouraged by parents, some taught at school, some adopted through peer pressure, in short the overwhelming thing ive noticed is kids awareness of their "rights" at the expense of their "responsibilities", and how this influences their behavior towards authority and rules.....
aint that the truth. you have a few years on me, but even i've noticed quite a change in the last 5 - 10yrs. not only young uns all the time either.

this is getting a bit off topic, but there are more and more households where both parents work and a lot of the 'parenting' is left up to school and after hours care. there is also a growing number of single parent families. this is not a criticism of those situations as most aren't by choice, but i do think it has impacted on society.
Old 14-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #30
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
recently a new energy drink was allowed onto the market. it is called 'cocaine'.
I thought that wasn't going to be allowed to be sold here or something?

If its on the shelves I'm going to go stock up a carton or so, It'll be worth something when it does get banned :P

Kinda like that Duff beer.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Closed Thread