Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
act2617

Angry Car mechanics 'drive up charges'

[BBC NEWS]
Car mechanics 'drive up charges'
Forget stories about overpaid lawyers and doctors, the real money is to be made fixing cars, a survey has found.

According to UK motoring magazine What Car?, some mechanics are charging more than £100 an hour for labour.

The highest prices are often found at car dealerships that are franchised by the big vehicle manufacturers, it said.

For example, changing a main headlight bulb - worth less than £4 - on an Audi A2 can cost as much as £66. A full service on an Audi A4 can cost £440.

What Car? also called around looking for repair quotes on other makes of vehicle, including BMW, Ford and Citroen.

'Travel to it'

The problem facing motorists is that as their cars use increasing amounts of technology to run, so fixing them becomes more time-consuming and fiddly.

One option I will be considering is to book my car in at the cheapest garage, even if I have to travel to it
Steve Fowler, What Car?

Another pitfall for motorists is that the prices they are charged will vary on their location, with garages in London charging more than elsewhere in the UK.

Steve Fowler, the group editor of What Car?, said that consumers should shop around and not forget that their manufacturer's warranty could still be valid, even if they did not use franchised garages for their repairs or services.

"Consumers could save hundreds of pounds if they shopped around and did their research," said Mr Fowler.

"One option I will be considering is to book my car in at the cheapest garage, even if I have to travel to it - the savings I can make will pay for a night in a hotel and a decent meal," he said.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders said that it was not surprising that prices were higher in London than elsewhere, and added that many manufacturers had increased the distance covered between services.

On top of that, the Society said, a well-serviced car was more efficient and cheaper to run.

Are you paying too much for your car maintenance? Do you feel you are being ripped off by garages?

act2617 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Did anyone read the Wheels Magazine COTY article?

The Ford Focus seemed to have poor high beams, so the techs from Hella checked it out & found a globe out, to replace it the bumper had to be dropped.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
scotty_d

Do they have any idea on the running cost of a dealership, it's massive, hence the reason to charge the high labour prices.There not there to just service your car, they're a business and need to make a profit. There is also a reason cars are becoming dearer to maintane and it was mentioned in the article, cars are becoming more technically advanced and therefore harder for average Joe to do it in his backyard. Even these "cheap garages" often have to outsource the car to the dealership as they don't have the speciality tools or knowlege to fix it.

I wish the dealerhip passed these labour prices on to the actual mechanic's, who in an average Australian dealership get $15 - $19 an hour. You'll get the same being a receptionist at the same dealership with no training and no four years on apprentices wages. Mechanic's in dealerships would be one of the lowest paid trades in Australia.

Yes it's expensive to service your car, if you can't afford to, obviously you can't afford the car. People have to take into account that some cars are dearer than others to service and repair. They need to sit down and say yes I can afford to buy this car but what financial position will I be in when I have to service it or fix it.

Cheers Scott
scotty_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most money being a mechanic? ha dont make me laugh, im a mechanic at a ford dealer, and ill tell u now, scottys $15-$19 is fairly spot on,... as far as dropping a bumper to change a focus h/light globe? I always knew those magazine guys were useless
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
EL_futuraistic

It is true, if only some of the extra money was passed down to mechanics, who i know are one of the lowest paid trades in australia.
Having said that, I am still horrified at some of the charges i recieve from my dealership however i always query them and continue to return as I believe being Nissan, they should know my vehicle and if any warranty issue comes up it can be immediately rectified. Smaller workshops do not recieve service bulleins, or know of recalls on parts.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Did anyone read the Wheels Magazine COTY article?

The Ford Focus seemed to have poor high beams, so the techs from Hella checked it out & found a globe out, to replace it the bumper had to be dropped.
The bumper doesn't need to be dropped to replace the bulb. They were just looking for a bolt that never existed. To remove a headlight on a new Focus 1 bolt at the top is to be removed then the headlight assy is unclipped from radiator support panel. Too easy.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post