Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #1
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Moving State & Licensing

Hi, im currently living in Tasmania, and considering moving to W.A for a year (to see how things go) at the end of the year. Now im only a P-Plater but the rules for P-Plater are different between the 2 states. The rules I know of are more points, in Tas its 4 for 3yrs and WA 12 for 3. Can drive the speed limit in WA, whereas in Tas you can only go 80 in your first year (not that this will be a problem by the time I get there).

I was wondering if I moved, would I have to re-sit the test?, get the 12 points or just the 4 because I got my license in Tas? And if I moved back to Tas after that year and still on my p's and say I lose 6 pts, would I then lose my license?

Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Good question. I have a similar question that ill start another thread for.

I think as long as your car and your licence is for Tas you will be fine. And you will be able to drive above 80kph in WA.

But ive got nothing other than common sense with that, so its probably not true.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

you dont have to resit the test, its just a simple transfer of licence they kinda ask you to change everything over within the first 3 months of moving.
MY brother got his details changed to Qld, and his points etc were still accounted for here 3 demerits, but had his full set in Qld. After 3 yrs you get em back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if I go from Victoria to NSW, while I am still on my p's, do I have to do the 80km speed limit or whatever it is in NSW, or is it Victorian road rules which apply (so I can do 100km and not 80 in a 100km zone)?

Sorry to take over the thread?
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

what ever the law is for the state you are in at the time.
Wa is 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
what ever the law is for the state you are in at the time.
Wa is 110
not quite. You have to follow the conditions of your license. That being said however, cops in another state that have a higher limit for P's won't look twice at an interstate P plater travelling at the state speed limit rather than the license speed limit.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont
So if I go from Victoria to NSW, while I am still on my p's, do I have to do the 80km speed limit or whatever it is in NSW, or is it Victorian road rules which apply (so I can do 100km and not 80 in a 100km zone)?

Sorry to take over the thread?
your vic P license does not have an 80km/h restriction on it, so legally you can drive at 100km/h in NSW. But, if driving a NSW plated car, be prepared to be pulled over, but as soon as you produce your vic license, you will be on your way.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post