Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2021, 03:50 PM   #1
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default "Side Road Active" A new kind of stupid.

Well over the last week a couple of new signs have appeared on the Hume Fwy.
"Side Road Active" Link below to explain how it works.
https://www.arrb.com.au/news/side-ro...ed-speed-signs

At Baddaginnie along the Hume I regularly turn right onto the freeway, there are no slip lanes to merge but with plenty of sight distance, its easy to come out onto the superslab, get straight into the left lane and bring the truck/car upto freeway speed.
Anyone already on the Hwy and catching upto someone who has just turned out there obvisiously overtakes as normal maintaining their speed. Whats the problem, no this is a new kind of stupid.

Seems some brain decided whenever a vehicle approaching towards the freeway from this back road has the ability to slow the hwy traffic to 80km/h from 110lm/h within maybe 100mtrs by infrared technology.
Dumb thing is as you cross the centre divider, the traffic is rapidly slowing and bunching up, creating a dangrous situation for anyone not aware with the vehicle waiting to cross or join the hwy forcing them to wait longer as the traffic slows.

This particular site has been in operation for maybe 5 days now and I've already seen 2 major nose to tail accidents.
Seems to me, if you don't know how to merge or join a freeway from a country side road its time to hand in the licence.
I reckon its a great place to hang around with your tow truck, simply keep triggering the IR beam to set off a chain reaction accident and your first on the scene. Brilliant.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #2
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Side Road Active" A new kind of stupid.

Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it.

- Henry David Thoreau
Old 20-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, there has been one of these installed in the region of Garfield/Bunyip intersection on the Monash (Princes) highway. It is a 100 kph limit there. Rather than put in a proper interchange, the authorities are resorting to this kind of "traffic managemant" system. And I agree they are a hazard, especially with the Victorian Drivers' tendency to tailgate. As I approach them I take a long look in the RVM to check on vehicles behind me before I decide to wash off speed. I wonder if the next move will be a fixed radar on the back of the sign, looking in the direction of travel, that becomes active when the speed limit is active. Does a 30kph over the limit result in license loss?

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

At Baddaginnie along the Hume I regularly turn right onto the freeway, there are no slip lanes to merge but with plenty of sight distance, its easy to come out onto the superslab, get straight into the left lane and bring the truck/car upto freeway speed.
Anyone already on the Hwy and catching upto someone who has just turned out there obvisiously overtakes as normal maintaining their speed. Whats the problem, no this is a new kind of stupid.

Seems some brain decided whenever a vehicle approaching towards the freeway from this back road has the ability to slow the hwy traffic to 80km/h from 110lm/h within maybe 100mtrs by infrared technology.
Dumb thing is as you cross the centre divider, the traffic is rapidly slowing and bunching up, creating a dangrous situation for anyone not aware with the vehicle waiting to cross or join the hwy forcing them to wait longer as the traffic slows.

This particular site has been in operation for maybe 5 days now and I've already seen 2 major nose to tail accidents.
Seems to me, if you don't know how to merge or join a freeway from a country side road its time to hand in the licence.
I reckon its a great place to hang around with your tow truck, simply keep triggering the IR beam to set off a chain reaction accident and your first on the scene. Brilliant.
And Dr Blair Turner mentioned in that report is a Doctor of Philosophy !
Old 20-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

Nose to tail accidents with vehicles having to slow down, in my opinion motorists fault not paying attention to speed signs. No different to approaching fixed speed signs.
Time to hand in your licence if you think this is stupid and causing accidents.

Lets face facts; most people hate slowing down on highways and freeways for any reason.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #6
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've saw one of these signs on one of the hwys (can't remember which one), but didn't know what it meant. I didn't notice any variable speed signs either? Rather odd I thought.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Nose to tail accidents with vehicles having to slow down, in my opinion motorists fault not paying attention to speed signs. No different to approaching fixed speed signs.
Time to hand in your licence if you think this is stupid and causing accidents.

Lets face facts; most people hate slowing down on highways and freeways for any reason.
That s the point..........Because they are a highway or freeway !! FFS

I think I'll hand in my licence because this is "STUPID AND CAUSING ACCIDENTS."
Sorry I forgot about all the safety police who frequent here.

3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone who brakes from 100 to 70 for no reason should hand their license in and a car approaching the highway is not a reason.
The absolute most I would do is hover over the brake pedal until their intentions became clear.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #9
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a big fan of dropping speed limits from 110 to 80 in a short space, but if we all keep our distance then we should all be alright.

Do have some concerns for truckies, especially those B doubles.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

You can imaging some academic saying.............

"Here's an idea. Lets got some some of those variable speed signs to suddenly flash up 70kmh to see who's awake on the freeway"
Old 21-03-2021, 10:59 AM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s creating a workplace hazard IMO.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Good to see it's not just locally where you get morons pull out in front of you on the highway at snails pace.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #13
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep cheaper option install slip lanes
no lets use the extra money to slow people down and make it harder for others to get out after the traffics been bunched up
and increase the chance of rear enders from them that arnt paying attention of cant suddenly slow down
Driver uninjured after car collides with parked truck on Leach Highway Perth 19 march

yes its sad that as much as this idea has merit
but you know the out come usually isnt an improved situation

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

These dynamic speed signs are a recipe for disaster and won't achieve what govco thinks it will, eliminating the hazard. Slip lanes entering on the left and refuge lanes entering on the right is the only sensible answer, all drivers understand how they work and what to do, a dynamic speed sign will surprise most drivers and just make things worse.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
These dynamic speed signs are a recipe for disaster and won't achieve what govco thinks it will, eliminating the hazard. Slip lanes entering on the left and refuge lanes entering on the right is the only sensible answer, all drivers understand how they work and what to do, a dynamic speed sign will surprise most drivers and just make things worse.
The people who come up with this **** probably take the tram to work and live in Kensington.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bet some drivers will now pull out in front of people because they will assume they are going to slow down.

Not to mention the traffic wave affect.
People will come flying up at 100+ then slow to 70 making it longer until they clear the intersection, by the time they clear the next vehicle coming at 100 will be too close to pull out then they will slow to 70 and take a long time to clear the intersection. Before you know it if it’s busy enough traffic will be driving slow and close through the intersection even though it’s spread out and free flowing either side of the intersection
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2021, 07:34 PM   #17
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I bet some drivers will now pull out in front of people because they will assume they are going to slow down.

Not to mention the traffic wave affect.
People will come flying up at 100+ then slow to 70 making it longer until they clear the intersection, by the time they clear the next vehicle coming at 100 will be too close to pull out then they will slow to 70 and take a long time to clear the intersection. Before you know it if it’s busy enough traffic will be driving slow and close through the intersection even though it’s spread out and free flowing either side of the intersection
Concertina effect. Reason why freeways come to a standstill because of one driver slowing down.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #18
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I came across one this afternoon whilst driving out towards Moe. Just before Gumbuya park. And this time it activated with quite a few cars on the road.

The thing is, no one hit 70kmh as they crossed the variable speed sign, and the stretch is so short that by the time cars did slow to 70kmh, they have pretty much reached or passed the intersection. From what I could gather, most did slow down, but to about 90 only.

As always there are unintended consequences with these sorts of things. It will make it very difficult for cars pulling out of the intersections to judge the different speeds that other cars are travelling at towards them.
Old 21-03-2021, 08:51 PM   #19
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Next they will have speed camera's just past them to catch out the people who dont or cant slow down in time, then they can afford to buy more variable speed signs to put up in other areas .

I suppose that's one good thing about living in W.A., no toll roads and no stupid variable speed signs, but we do have a new stupid smart freeway that is getting more stupider by the day
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'm waiting for the roadside trees to have signs placed on them next, stating "this tree could fall over at anytime."
They could stick up some variable speed signs which activate at the first sign of a breeze.

But seriously this new one here will be a dangerous one over Easter.

Old 22-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #21
tweeked
N/A all the way

This is a perfect example of “the needs of the one outweighs the needs of the many” agendas infiltrating all levels of public service and pitchfork carrying, cancel culture social judges. All it takes is for the one at a crossroads to wait for a gap and accelerate at a reasonable rate to join with society. Or let’s just change all society, hold them up, change what they can watch, so that the one special petal feels comfortable. There are roadworks at the bottom of Springvale road for the new freeway overpass at the moment. They have closed off a full lane so that the builders get their own slip lane into the site. Why???? They can use the rest of the road network without needing their own lanes, their is no construction near the entry. The result is traffic mayhem around the site , and personally I have seen 5 crashes in the last couple of months due to it.

This is the craziness of these decision makers in “safety”. Book smart, experience dumb people who in solving their own problems (i they even exist) create more dangerous situations - like unnecessary slowing vehicles down on major highways.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I love how they use ridiculous statistics to justify their use. 80% reduction is crashes after installing these?

Do they just pull these numbers from their ****?

I reckon the people who come up with these ideas are 73% more likely to be full of crap, compared to people who didn't.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Judging by the amount of the side roads which cross the freeway does this mean more are going to appear ?
Its going to be a long journey from Melbourne to Albury if they do, isn't that the reason why they bypassed local towns in the first place so the freeway can maintain its posted speed.

Old 22-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #24
tweeked
N/A all the way

Why did they not flip it 90degrees, sensors back up the highway, flashing stop sign on the side road if it senses fast traffic approaching the intersection?

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #25
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Why did they not flip it 90degrees, sensors back up the highway, flashing stop sign on the side road if it senses fast traffic approaching the intersection?
Beats me but Its not like country drivers have never seen or crossed and merged onto a freeway before. Plenty of places like this in NSW which is a bit of a worry.

Old 22-03-2021, 02:51 PM   #26
hayseed

It would be far more practicable & safer (to Me) instead of changing the Speed limit on the main road/highway. to have the sign say.

Traffic entering ahead keep right or left (as the case May be)...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It would be far more practicable & safer (to Me) instead of changing the Speed limit on the main road/highway. to have the sign say.

Traffic entering ahead keep right or left (as the case May be)...
Yep, If they can not be bothered building a merge/slip lane. Someone must be getting a backhander out of this.
Past day or two I been going the longer dirt route to avoid this section of freeway, funny its actually smoother too.