Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-03-2006, 01:36 AM   #1
Mick K.

Wink Installing an ST snorkel - step by step

After buying this part from eBay last year (thanks Stampy) for about $90 I finally got around to fitting it. Its the first mechanical stuff I have done to a car since the mid-90s and the first time I have replaced perfectly good parts off a car.

The original situation - stock Focus 2.0 Zetec with K&N panel.

Step 1: Undo jubilee clip from air intake pipe, unclip MAF electrical connection and remove top of air filer and filter element

Step 2: Pull off crankcase breather pipe and pull up lower part of air box to remove. Note the circular end of the stock Zetec snorkel.

These are all of the bits. Leave cleaning the air box till later. I'd say the ST snorkel has about 40-50% more air capacity than the normal Zetec one. The green foam is from where the crankcase breather fits on.

Step 3: Undo the plastic screws that are holding the front of the stock snorkel to the car body. Lift the air box end of the stock snorkel to unclip it and then manoeuvrer it out by pushing down at the air box end and pulling out at the front. This pic shows the situation with everything removed.

Note: The sensible thing to do here is to mark out on the lower air box where you will need to cut, by using the end of the new ST snorkel as a template.

Step 4: Slot in the new snorkel from the front. Clip the air box end of it into place. Replace the plastic screws that secure the snorkel to the front of the car

Step 5: Cut the lower air box to fit end of the ST snorkel. I used a hacksaw blade and hand file. I'm sure some of you will have neater and cleaner ways of doing this. Keep trying the end of the ST snorkel to see if it fits. When finished, it is time to give the air box a good clean. Mine had a bit of dirt in it as well as all of the plastic shavings.

Step 6: Refit the air box. Push down to slot it back into place. This picture shows my modified lower air box - cleaned and in place.

Step 7: I used gaffer tape to seal up all of the holes. I also used a hair dryer to remove any water from washing the lower air box and also to iron out any bumps in the tape.

Step 8: Put the filter element back in. Reconnect the crankcase breather. Replace top of filter box. Reconnect MAF. Tighten jubilee clip and screw down top of filter box. Put the air-con gas sticker onto the ST snorkel.

My favourite thing about this is that it still looks stock under bonnet and I'd say 95% of people wouldn't pick the difference. I haven't put on the "2.0 auto air deflector" yet and I don't know if it will fit the ST snorkel - can anyone help me out here?

Performance wise - I don't really know if it makes much difference - maybe a few HP in combination with the panel filter. It does seem to rev a bit more freely between 4000 and 6000 rpm. I suppose this is about as good as the breathing gets without going for a pod filter. Noise may be slightly different.

Now I just need a new exhaust to complete the breathing improvements....

MK

Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Top stuff !

i was wondering how long it would take someone to do a 'DIY' guide for the st170 snorkel.

Give the car a couple trips around town with it on, im sure you will start to notice the difference.

Ive found that whenever i do a 'mod' it doesnt feel so great straight away, but give the car a couple hours of drive time.. Must adjust itself or something because it starts feeling a whole lot better.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
tabaccs

hey guys, just wondering what that little box stuck to the side of the airbox does. will anything happen if you remove it or just take it off and seal the hole.

chees adam

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
amlohac

that little box is the silencer. I removed mine and its now another point for cold air. I used a peice of flexable pipe put it over the hole thats left when you get rid of the silencer and channel more cold air from the front of the car. Ya might also notice a difference in noise, something similar to having a pod on there.

If you dont want to go the whole way and pay for a long ram pod for your car the best and cheapest way to get cold air into your car is to use the ST snorkel and pipe more air into the silencer hole.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
tabaccs

thanks for that amlohac, when i get some free time i'll give it a go..

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post