Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Default Looking at buying the latest Focus Zetec - want owners feedback!

Hi people,

I am looking at getting my wife the latest Focus Zetec and thought this would be the perfect place to ask for opinions on this particular model.

We both like the shape but are yet to take one for a test drive.

So if you dont mind giving me your opinions good or bad.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt (Ben)

www.fordxr5turbo.com
Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Forest Bear

Its great. You won't regret it at all. Ticked all the right buttons for me. Still pretty exclusive wheels in these parts.

Ask any specific questions you want. I'll try and answer them.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Thanks for the reply Forest Bear, Im after comments about power, fitment, refinement, ride etc.

If we are getting one we will be getting the 5 speed manual.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Old 23-03-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
BlackLS

Power - Very quick for a 2l, faster than SSS, Vtec Civics etc. It should shame a most Commodore V6 autos as well
Handling - Even the stock suspension of the CL and LX is very progressive but when asked its firm.
Fitment - There are some build quality issues, but most newer ones have this sorted out. Check panel alignment when picking up the car, interior as well. Also check the paint very very carefully. Check the colour of the bumpers compared to the colour of the body
Refinement - Engine is beautiful, gearbox has a very good throw and smooth to change. Rattles are often due to build quality probs listed above but warranty should be able to take care of that before you pick the car up.
Ride - Smooth as ;) . The LX suspension, you can't really notice small bumps and the like, but around corners it goes around like on rails. The control blade IRS is a great feature. The Zetec should be ever so slightly firmer, but just get out there and test drive it!

Where are you located Ben?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Agree with BlackLS. I just got my LX last week. Dad picked it up 2 weeks ago but I've been out of town. Bumper fittment was good but the rear was alittle out. Installed a towbar and they fixed it. Definitely check the paintwork. Handling is awesome as is the power. I keep wanting to rev it but have to remind myself its only got 600kms on it so its not run it yet.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ben.
I picked my Zetec last week tuesday. Its an awesome car to drive. Comfort, handling, fuel economy & good looks is what sold me. Eventhough its still being run in, I'm surprised as to how zippy it feels.
But as stated before, your best bet is to head down to your dealer & take one of them for a test drive. Take your cheque book cos the missus will want to buy it there & then!
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
Mark Edmonds
XLR8

Hi there.....a few of the foccuses I have looked at have left a little to be desired in terms of the finnish paticularly plastics and rubbers....the next time you have a look take a look at the finnish around the B pillar and the hard plastics around the sea base. I'be also heard a few stories about paint etc..... . Brilliantly designed car that is a blast to drive...handles great...just the finnish that lets it down. I'd still buy one but make sure you do a thorough pre delivery inspection....don't sign a thing until you have checked the car over very thoroughly. Given any thought to waiting for the XR5?
Mark Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Forest Bear

I got my silver Zetec in October 2005. It's an auto because I prefer it over the manual and I let my g/f drive it occasionally.

I had a TS Astra before and wanted the next one but a 1.8l engine just didn't cut it.

Looks - The Zetec is the best looking of the garden variety 2.0 Focus'. I'm a fan of germanic design. Its a classy, sporty and youthful car. It has presence and is a mildly menacing little devil looker. Chicks definitely love it. The interior is not as spunky or cutting edge design as the exterior but its still easy on the eye and very functional. Mind you if the Focus's engine, drivetrain, suspension and wheels were transplanted to the 3door Astra I'd go for the Astra.

Power - Suits me fine. Prod the throttle hard and suddenly enough and I get wheel spin. The thing needs traction control. The engine is smooth but it sounds like a vacum cleaner. Not the best exhaust note. Chain driven camshafts was definitely a plus for me. I wouldn't have bought it if it was belt driven. The auto works very well in most situations. The tiptronic is not very responsive at all but it does give a good oompf when gears are held especially in 3rd.

Ride and Handling - The ride is as good as any other car but the handling is phenomenal for a car of this type. It is mad around the corners. Very well balanced. You always feel in control even when you hear the tyres scream, lose a bit of traction and the tail gets off the track. Easily tamed animal. Heck of a lot of fun and joy to drive.

Fit and finish - Mine is pretty good. Well tops. The paint was flawless. There is no cabin rattle or squeaks which is one of my strictest criterias.

Problems - Had a dud catalytic converter which packed up at 120km but it was replaced and everything is fine.

Bad - Warning tones about opened doors, seat belts will drive you insane. Seats are okay but they are not up to scratch for a car this agile. CD stereo is okay but bog standard on features. No MP3 support. 3mm Audio jack in glove box is useful but inconveinient. When operating wipers and lights you can hear relay switches in the fuse box under the glovebox. Pretty pedantic of me but its still annoying. Rear wiper too small.

Photos
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

How can you tell if the cat converter has packed it? Is it a sound? Or something like smoke in the back?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 23-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
WASP
Whipple Induced

Just some tips..again

Beautiful solid car and an award winning boot (hatch)
Check panel and paint fit- many aren't the best. S.A. assembly in general is questionable IMO
Make sure you're battery is charging properly and not leaking- there are some issus there with some.
Use premium fuel and not standard- much better economy and slightly better performance.
Have fun trying to find somewhere to store CD's and sunglasses!
Take it for a drive thru the hills and twisties- it's very surprising (in a good way).
Option up the alloy scuff plates and gear nob- very nice!

Summary: We love our little Zetec, it's a great car let down by some build quality issues. If I had my time again I would rather have a European XR5 Turbo model. Not too much more, much better value, much better performance and you get the Recaro seats!
Old 24-03-2006, 12:13 AM   #11
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

I agree with nearly all of the above points.

If you like refinement, it will have particular appeal. To get comparable refinement in something else, you have to be prepared to spend much more.

Manual gearbox a delight - something not guaranteed with many others.

Economy is outstanding, and specially when considering its performance and substantial weight / solid build.

As mentioned above, perhaps give some thought as to whether it's worth spending more and joining the waiting list for an XR5.

What really sells the car is the way it drives. A test drive is a must.
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #12
rider007

Another happy owner of Focus Zetec. Great handling, loves the twisty roads. Read Wheels review here http://wheels.carpoint.ninemsn.com.a...opDefault.aspx
Old 24-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #13
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Great! Thanks alot for your replies, this is the exactly what I was after.

I can see a theme within some of the posts, great stylish external design, a delight to drive...punchy like. Interior basic, however functional, rides well, economical. However watch for poor fitment and bad paint.

I hear you about the XR5, looks like the next cult car. Its a bit more that we want to spend and as I want to salary package it I want the cost base low to minimise FBT. And one turbo car is probably enough

Thanks for a link to those pictures Forest Bear, very good and comprehensive, made me wonder where the battery is? Couldn't spot it.

How do you go with the blinkers on the left (they are on the left aren't they?).

If we get one it will be BLACK. Will likely get dark tint, maybe later a set of 18 inch chrome rims.

BlackLS we live in Newcastle.

Thanks again,
Ford Grunt (Ben).
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Old 24-03-2006, 01:11 AM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Indicators on the left are a complete and utter non-event even in a manual. Forget it's even an issue because it isn't, it's not a problem at all WHATSOEVER. I jump in and out of LHD/RHD indicators very frequently and both manual and auto, it's not an issue at all.

Battery is under a cover, a plastic cover, all tidy and hidden away, from memory it's at the right rear of the engine bay as you look at it.
Old 24-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #15
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Yeah battery is on the port aft of the engine bay.

Old 25-03-2006, 12:17 AM   #16
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

The answer to your question "How do you go with the blinkers on the left?" is probably best answered as "Opinions on this matter differ considerably."

Without wanting to open the Pandora's box again on this subject, I'll just say that opinions even differ among owners, but the proportion of manual drivers who experience annoyance at this (like me) is anecdotally greater.

Maybe there's a correlation between brain-hand co-ordination levels and ability to instinctively use LHD indicators? Whatever, it's an individual thing.

Unfortunately, only time will ultimately give the answer, but regardless, I think nearly everyone would agree it's not grounds to change a purchase decision.
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure about everyone else here but i don't really tend to change gears when indicating and vice versa, it's never particularly bothered me, although for a couple days after stepping out of the old trusty daihatsu applause and stepping into the new zetec, the wipers were often my way of saying i was changing lanes/turning
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 04:02 AM   #18
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Hey people, just thought id drop a line to say my wife and I test drove a new Zetec today. Have to say was smooth as... :voldar02:

Nar, seriously we were impressed. The control blade suspension works a treat, felt tight on the road, with practical controls.

I didn't have any problems with remembering the indicators on the left, but was finding that I was bashing the centre consol on 2nd to 3rd changes, given the closeness of the shifter throw was a just a little longer than expected. But I adjusted my shift changing style slightly to suit.

I seen first hand peoples concerns with the paint imperfections, the one we test drove I noticed that the paint was chipped on the edge of the rear left guard at the bottom where it lines up with the rear bar.

One of the salemen actually pointed out that spot out as a problem spot for paint imperfections (he didn't point out that it was chipped thou) he said he had actually personally complained to Ford about it, I looked closer and could not believe that I actually found it to be chipped on the edge, checked the same spot on the drivers side and found it to be fine. Anyone else have paint problems in this spot?

Otherwise, seems like a good value car, more value for money than the Mazda 3.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt.
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Old 30-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few days have passed since you test drove it. The big question is have you bought it yet?!
Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #20
BlackLS

I think its more safer having the indicator on the left. That way your left hand is there to work the controls, and the right hand is there to steer. It feels more "right". The Focus also has a nifty feature to help indicate, if you tap the indicator left or right, it will blink 3 times automatically. This is great if your overtaking a lot more simple
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #21
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focussed
A few days have passed since you test drove it. The big question is have you bought it yet?!
Not yet, may just order a XR5 and wait......

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Old 01-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Woooooooooooooo - could this be the first?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #23
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Grunt
Not yet, may just order a XR5 and wait......

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
As mentioned, if I had my time again that would be what I would do. I have actually offered to trade up even though we have only owned the Zetec for 6 months, but the wife likes the car and is not keen to trade it......yet.

Good luck, I think you are doing the right thing.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:49 AM   #24
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
As mentioned, if I had my time again that would be what I would do. I have actually offered to trade up even though we have only owned the Zetec for 6 months, but the wife likes the car and is not keen to trade it......yet.

Good luck, I think you are doing the right thing.
Yeah I took note of your reply, have to say did have some weight on me suggesting it to my wife, in particular after we found out we can get a $2,715 discount off the retail price (my wife is part of the Ford Partner Program).

Given that we plan on keeping the car for a long while, we too think it is a wise decision.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Old 02-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

WOooooooo - Congrats. I saw a XR5T on a transporter here last week. I think you should keep in contact with your dealer. They should have demo cars soon...

So, are you going to consider the Megane 225 Turbo Cup? Or the VW Golf GTI?

Or have you just decided - the XR5T it is?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 03:02 PM   #26
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
So, are you going to consider the Megane 225 Turbo Cup? Or the VW Golf GTI?

Or have you just decided - the XR5T it is?
If you are eligable for the Ford Partner program discount, add that benefit to the already great price of the XR5 and it will be a hard thing to go past.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
Ford Grunt
Turbo induced crazyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
If you are eligable for the Ford Partner program discount, add that benefit to the already great price of the XR5 and it will be a hard thing to go past.
CDAA you have got it exactly. We didn't really consider anything else other than the Mazda SP23, which in the end we figured the Focus was better value for money.

My wife is the one with the final decision as it is for her, she hasn't really liked the styling of the other small/med sized hatches until the release of the current Focus. We were going to settle for the Zetec as a minimum but with discount I suggested the XR5, now we have made up our minds that this is the we want.

My local dealer looks like he has let me down on a May/June delivered XR5 so will likely have to source one someone else.

Cheers,
Ford Grunt
www.fordxr5turbo.com
Old 05-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #28
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Something to think about... We are doing the exact same thing that you are Ford Grunt. We too are trying to decide between an XR5 and Zetec. It comes down to the fact of discount amounts. If your wife gets a discount, then the discount on the Zetec is actually almost double that of the XR5. Theorically, you get a Zetec on the road for about $27K, an XR5 would be around $35-36K. You gotta ask the question (which is what my wife and I keep bouncing around!!), is the XR5 worth 33% more than a Zetec?

Aaarrrrggghhh....

Also what color does everybody think looks the best on these cars? Anyone got photo's (with the exception of the silver - seen plenty of these.)

Cheers
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 AM   #29
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic
Theorically, you get a Zetec on the road for about $27K, an XR5 would be around $35-36K. You gotta ask the question (which is what my wife and I keep bouncing around!!), is the XR5 worth 33% more than a Zetec?

Aaarrrrggghhh....

Also what color does everybody think looks the best on these cars? Anyone got photo's (with the exception of the silver - seen plenty of these.)

Cheers
Your prices on road are about correct. I own a Zetec and in answer to your question, Yes the XR5 would be worth the difference and not just in features like 18" wheels, Bigger brakes, bigger engine and turbo, better interior and seats, 6 stacker, leather option, body kit etc and Ive already exceeded the $8-9k difference in value. Not to mention that the XR5 is German assembled and the Zetec is not (South Africa). I love our Zetec but the build quality is very average IMO. I would have paid a higher retail to have the same car built in Germany or Japan. I now know why the Mazda 3's are so damn exspensive..lol
Old 06-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #30
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic
Something to think about... We are doing the exact same thing that you are Ford Grunt. We too are trying to decide between an XR5 and Zetec. It comes down to the fact of discount amounts. If your wife gets a discount, then the discount on the Zetec is actually almost double that of the XR5. Theorically, you get a Zetec on the road for about $27K, an XR5 would be around $35-36K. You gotta ask the question (which is what my wife and I keep bouncing around!!), is the XR5 worth 33% more than a Zetec?

Aaarrrrggghhh....

Cheers
Unquestionably unequivocably unanimously and completely utterly without a doubt YES!!!!!

From experience of couse
:eclipsee_