Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
ntguy

Default 1998 Au1 V8

Hi all,

I am new to the later model fords. I have come across a Fairmont Ghia 12/98, its a 5 litre. I thought all AU`s came out with the plastic cover and also did not have the 5 litre plate on them.

How can I tell if its a 165 or 175kw engine. I am thinking it must be a 165KW, left over from the previous model? How can I tell if its got the gt40p heads??

I can now see what everyone was talking about the exhuast manifolds, what a joke.

The Fairmont I am looking is a 2 owner with books etc. Orginally owned by Ford Credit, not sure what that means, but second owner has had it since, he brought it of a ford dealer. Car has 270,000 Kms, but drives well, no oil leaks and drives like a 100000km car I reckon. Does seem to have a water leak in the boot, found a little rust and water mark on one of the seams near the boot strut, only on on side. I can get car for just over 4k, I know the owners and has been a second car for the last few, but was used in the owners husbands business and was travelling through out NSW for the business.

Cheers

ntguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Not all came with covers only xr's, a 12/98 car will be a 175kw
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

$4K is cheap - take it if its OK.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

ford credit means it was a lease car......

sounds like a bargain to me!... whats the trim like?

the windsors live forever given propper servicing
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Free347

It is a 175kw engine, it does have the GT40P heads, for just over $4k for a Ghia is a steal and it won't take much at all to bump that up to near 200kw! By the way, that mark near the boot strut is normal no matter what the kms.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free347
It is a 175kw engine, it does have the GT40P heads, for just over $4k for a Ghia is a steal and it won't take much at all to bump that up to near 200kw! By the way, that mark near the boot strut is normal no matter what the kms.
not wrong........free flowing exhaust, 1.7 roller rockers and an edit will have it nice as......and if he's prepaired to lift the heads and intake, give them a light porting as well...... would be great fun for not very much money
Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #7
ntguy

Ford Credit makes sense, I thought it was a demo or something. Having a business I guess they use Ford Credit then, So that techically will make me the second owner I guess??
Interior is good expect there is a hole in the leather drivers seat. Going to ring tonight and if it still there I will take it then.

Car is reasonably straight, has been in minor bingle, guard was replaced, reversing out of driveway error. Just been done.

It sits way to high for my liking. Needs a TS50 front spoiler etc. Oh and CD stacker doesnt work.
I was suprised the lack of oil leaks, not even the rockers have leaks. Battery is knacked, battery acid never cleaned up.

But it drives pretty good, even though it doesnt sound like a 8 and sits like a 4wd.

Cheers

Last edited by ntguy; 03-02-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #8
blacklabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntguy
Hi all,
Does seem to have a water leak in the boot, found a little rust and water mark on one of the seams near the boot strut, only on on side.
Cheers
Pretty common on the au's- just watch out if it's been raining for a while and you lift your boot lid up, as the water pours back down the bottom edge and straight onto your boot carpet!!
I've had a wee shower down my neck more than once when going into my boot after rain...not nice on a cold day!!
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds like a bargain - if you don't end up buying it, let us know the details as I know there's a member or three that would be interested in this. Myself included.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #10
ntguy

OK will do, however rang last night and someone now has first go on it. I have to wait to see if they come up with the money. I hope they dont, otherwise just going to have to wait.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Sounds like some pretty minor issues, ntguy, for the price being asked.
XR Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
ntguy

OK guys , after much mucking around and a bidding war that I didnt want to get into I can get the car for 6K now :(. I was wrong with Kms its done 240k.

Whats your thoughts people? Do you think 6K is too much? Engine and trans have had no major work done, just services. Power steering rack has been done. I think A/C compressor. new front windscreen etc. It comes with RWC and has near new tryes.

Not a bad car, clean and straight, except the front guard that has been replaced. Its sighty different colour. Leather driver seat is worn and has a hole in it.
Drives good no noises, power seems ok etc.

Thoughts please, should I buy it for 6k or what for some thing else?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

6K is still a good deal on a V8 Fairmont, buy it.

Im sure with a decent Intake, Exhaust & a Tune it will getting it making all the right sounds and going like a V8 Should.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
ntguy

OK I thought 6k may be getting a bit too high. Its a Ghia , whats the differnce between a Fairmont Ghia and Fairmont in the AU? Is it just trim level??

Looks like I will have two Ghias. I have a 1980 XD Fairmont Ghia with a 351 in the shed absoulte stock down to the exhaust, radio etc. Done around 120K Kms now, The AU has done double that. Dont think the AU would last like the XD. XD has very little rust etc.
Is there anyway to fix rust stain in the boot of the AU?

I will be getting exhaust etc for it. Any one have suggestions for a good exhaust shop in Brisbane South side??????
Exhaust will be first thing, then maybe some sort of CAI, then tune. might even look at cam if its not to exxy.
Jeezuz, it will cost me another 6k if i dont watch it.
1 Exhuast
2 CAI
3 Suspension
4 Cam , maybe RR
5 Tune
Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #15
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Mate go for it if you really want it. As 6k is a bargain lower it if ya can. But at the end of the day you'll have money left over to do mods.

The different is Fairmont is basic luxury while the Ghia is top luxury in SWB (Better Option).

I've tried telling Bonk182 to buy a V8 Ghia!

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
Norton
Tuned by HPF

I have an AU3 Fairmont Ghia V8, great car...

240,000k's is getting up a little but 6k is still a good price, Red Book prices show:

Prices based on km 140,000 - 230,000
Trade in price guide* $6,100 - $7,700
National average price - private sale* $8,000 - $10,700
Price when new (RRP) $50,490

You may want to have a good look at the ware on the engine.

Regards

Norton
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
ntguy

Thanks for your comments.

Yes I am little worried bout engine life, however it appears I could get a 220kw motor for around the 3k mark.

It may be a the way to go later.
I am not sure what a engine rebuild cost these days. Other worry and something that worries me more is the Trannie. It runs fine but has been used to tow horse floats etc. It must be getting tired by now. That will cost around a couple thousand I reckon.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Just get a full check on the car if your concerned.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Just get a full check on the car if your concerned.
What comes back in the report may help you get the price down a bit too!

The engine will be fine for the horse towing, but the auto? If it hasn't got an oil cooler, I would suspect the auto will have been given a caning!

All the best with it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #20
ntguy

Yer , I have already commited now so cant get price lower, it started at 4500 but got into a bit of bidding war with another dude.

Might even consider a manual conversion late if its not too exxy and also can fix the clutch problems on the firewall
Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 AM   #21
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done, sounds like a pretty good deal mate.
If you want a good exhaust place get onto Men At Work Exhausts in Capalaba, they've done mine and Glenn's. Both I6's, but they were cheap and I couldn't fault their service or workmanship. They had a beautiful black T3 TE50 there too, that they reckon made 550hp, so they probably know their way around a V8 I'd say...

I've had a fair few bits and pieces done to my car, nearly all on the southside (used to live down there), suspension, mechanics, wreckers etc etc, so if you want any tips shoot me a PM.

Good luck with the car!
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #22
ntguy

OK ladies and gentleman, stage is set, picking up the Ghia when I am back in town on Thursday. Then the fun will began. I get paid monthly so it sucks I will only be able to do one mod a month if I am lucky.
Still ****ed I had to pay 6k for it. I think it is top dollar, but thats life.
I will post pictures up later
Old 12-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #23
LUXO_8
windsor user

man.....only a few years back 6k bought an NC Fairlane or an EB Fairmont ghia.........

6k for an AU Ghia is nothing.......thats EL Ghia money IMO

you still got a bargain
Old 13-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #24
ntguy

Cheers for the vote of confidence.

It does have a few kms however. And it is a AU. Nothing wrong with them(no flaming), just they are a ugly duckling on the outside.

But I am happy. Can start sorting out my carputer to put into it now. Just need to price the SATNAV facia, if its still available.

And then let the mods begin.
Old 13-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #25
Free347

There are two parts to them - the front section framing the screen and the rear/outer surround. I checked a month ago and both were still available from Ford however there is a guy selling the screen surrounds in woodgrain on ebay for far cheaper than Ford are.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #26
ntguy

OK thanks will check price at end of the week when I am a back in town. I am still undecided on the woodgrain interior. I think TS50 raindrops look good.

Going to wait and see if the woodgrain grows on me