Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Quality Control on the last Aussie cars??

Just finished speaking to the owner of a large repairer, got on to the subject of buying the last Aussie car in the last year. He was telling me that they've had a number of vehicles coming in with issues such as electrical plugs not connected properly, loose fasteners, etc.

Is this some sort of protest or sabotage?

I had a plan to buy the last year model. Not sure now

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Quality Control on the last Aussie cars??

Morale would be low but I don't think people would be intentionally sabotaging new cars going down the line as all that effects is the poor customer, not the company overly much.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not Sabotage, But I think a lack of enthusiasm would be a contributor.
there's going to good and bad ones IMO,
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno, I chatted a lot to some of the guys that build these at the fanatic day. They all seemed really passionate and enthusiastic still!
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The guys that are still left are under the pump so they would be rushing as they have about 4.5 minutes of work on a car. The car is electrically tested on the line so unfortunately the there is enough of a connection there.

As for fasteners it would be anything safety related or critical as they are monitored through the torque guns.
Old 24-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
The guys that are still left are under the pump so they would be rushing as they have about 4.5 minutes of work on a car. The car is electrically tested on the line so unfortunately the there is enough of a connection there.

As for fasteners it would be anything safety related or critical as they are monitored through the torque guns.
Correct. The theory I was told is that the connectors are pushed in just enough to make an electrical connection but not enough to click the locking tang. The car leaves the factory/dealership and the customer has many weeks or months faultless driving, then annoying electrical issues start to pop up.

The fasteners are not safety related, I was informed that its parts that cause rattles.

Seems to be affecting the top of the line models.

Hopefully it's just a bad month.

I was also told that there's a case being put together by a lawyer for a few clients, which could go to court if a satisfactory outcome isn't sorted.

Old 24-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
T MAN

it could just be that the guys assembling the cars just don't give a rats, they know there out of a job soon and there love for the job might just be disappearing....
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Why would people be taking new cars to somewhere else if its a warranty issue? Thats why you buy new ........ ?

There are checks all the way along the lines and again at the very end. Quality control is tight, even though some things do somehow get through, they would be very limited. Quality procedures have not changed and I would have no problem buying the last of a model.

Anyone found not doing their job can still get the sack with less benefits than staying to the end and find it a little offensive to suggest those that do work there to think they have nothing to work for so why should they bother?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
it could just be that the guys assembling the cars just don't give a rats, they know there out of a job soon and there love for the job might just be disappearing....
That's no excuse to do a crap job (not saying they are).

If you take a job you do it to the best of your ability regardless of how much you are paid, whether you like it or not, or if the job exists in the future or not.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its a cop out to the guys and girls who build these things to say that they don't care, I mean an electrical connection is either connected or its not. What ford and holden are victims of is global sourcing of parts which have characteristics inferior to the same part which used to be made here. Im no conspiracy theorist about "its not made here so its crap", I mean china can make parts to any standard.
My second FG ute had the washer motor die at 6 months old and I CBF booking it in for the day to have it replaced under warranty, so I went to a wrecker.The new part in my car was a no name chinese part ford bought in under its global sourcing policy, I replaced it with a Denso branded identical for $30.
Years ago, my then company used to up spec through the dealer the diffs as the OEM specs only lasted 3 years. Now, there is no choice and the factory diffs were only lasting 2 years, they were from Malaysia.
These problems are an outcome of Fords buying decisions globally and theres not much aussies can do about it, that's the nature of mass production.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

People have pride.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #12
rdmr

^^What he said.
No lack of pride from where I stand.
rdmr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd have to say if you built the FGX and were not proud of what it is and what it stands for, you'd have to be a pretty bitter person. It is a nice car.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Just finished speaking to the owner of a large repairer, got on to the subject of buying the last Aussie car in the last year. He was telling me that they've had a number of vehicles coming in with issues such as electrical plugs not connected properly, loose fasteners, etc.

I think this person is having a lend of you, as mentioned why would people go to a repairer when dealers will fix under warranty, makes no sense.

This topic should be closed!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 02:08 AM   #15
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Anyone who works in construction would know that you are constantly building yourself out of a job. Doesn't mean you do a half *** job. The peeps building this car have pride, look at their attendance at the Fanatic filming or the pics that we keep seeing. I'm not concerned at all, just hoping I get a car not built on Friday arvo!
Old 25-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #16
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I think this person is having a lend of you, as mentioned why would people go to a repairer when dealers will fix under warranty, makes no sense.

This topic should be closed!
Come on! Lots of things happen in the world, without your knowledge. It doesn't mean you put your head in the sand & lock threads

I'm sure there will be some problems as both manufacturers get closer to shutting the doors, how they deal with it will be the deciding factor.

Hopefully this is a storm in a tea cup. I'm a serious potential buyer, I want to hear people's story so I can make up my mind. If there's nothing in it, great. If there is....

Old 25-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dood, i highly doubt there is anything of actual substance behind your attempt of anecdotal internertz hysteria
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #18
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
dood, i highly doubt there is anything of actual substance behind your attempt of anecdotal internertz hysteria
Fair enough, then there wont be anyone coming back with examples. right dude?

Funny how all the people not buying a new last model are the ones commenting

We're on a forum - An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages

2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so what is be the name of this large repairer??
Old 25-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*crickets
Old 25-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ahh.... you see this is where you don't have to worry...anything this repairer has worked on is PRE-FG-X..
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #22
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
so what is be the name of this large repairer??
It's not for me to risk someone's contract. Keep an eye out, as mentioned, there is a lawyer looking into for compensation & it may make the news.

If it's all BS, go put your money where your mouth is. I prefer to get some facts, so I shared my info and asked for feedback on other's experience. Not for flame from people sho have no intention of spending $50,000 of their own money.

Old 25-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #23
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not for me to risk someone's contract. Keep an eye out, as mentioned, there is a lawyer looking into for compensation.

If it's all BS, go put your money where your mouth is. I prefer to get some facts, so I shared my info and asked for feedback on other's experience. Not for flame from people sho have no intention of spending $50,000 of their own money.
I know a few Ford employees buying their own FG-X's with their own money at full price so I wouldn't be too concerned on quality of the last run, in fact I'd expect the last ones to be the best ever built.,,or at least mine, lol.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not for me to risk someone's contract. Keep an eye out, as mentioned, there is a lawyer looking into for compensation & it may make the news.

I highly doubt there is anything malicious in any of your concerns

And just because someone isn't screaming in a ya ya thread " yea I'm gonna buy one"....

Doesn't mean its not on the table

cool
Old 25-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #25
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Come on! Lots of things happen in the world, without your knowledge. It doesn't mean you put your head in the sand & lock threads

I'm sure there will be some problems as both manufacturers get closer to shutting the doors, how they deal with it will be the deciding factor.

Hopefully this is a storm in a tea cup. I'm a serious potential buyer, I want to hear people's story so I can make up my mind. If there's nothing in it, great. If there is....
FGX is a follow on from the FG, few cosmetic changes, tweaks & reintroduction of the XR8, what possible could be wrong with it!

I know! Read all the problems of the FG here on this forum & they will be rolled over in the new model, with the help of a few saboteurs on production line you will have lemon.

Seriously if Ford went to the trouble of presenting a new model I'm sure it will be something good for being last ever model produced.

I still think some one is telling you porkies!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I call bull****. There was an issue with a rubber gromit on GTF's and it was handled extremely well. Your friend better watch what he says as unless he's got proof it's pretty defamatory, not only towards Ford but the people who build them.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #27
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly. This is a massive dig at the people assembling these cars. A lot of the guys/girls WANT to be at work - they build them with passion, and numerous quality checks. Any sort of sabotage would be quickly found and dealt with.

With the numbers of volunteers for redundancy at record lows, nobody would risk their job by deliberately sabotaging a step in the assembly process. Their peers would soon expose them (and they'd be next in line for VR if they're not sacked on the spot).
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #28
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you guys, so predictable. Some of my best mates have worked on the production line, I could tell stories that would make owners scream. None of it new, there been reports & news shows about it since the 70's. So just calm down & say yes or no, but don't put up a smoke screen.

As I first said - I was informed about issues. It could be BS, it could be exaggeration, it could be fact. Post up your experience & we'll see what comes up & then I'll make up my mind whether to buy the last model in the last year.

Ps. I'm many beers in to a party

Old 25-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #29
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
I call bull****. There was an issue with a rubber gromit on GTF's and it was handled extremely well. Your friend better watch what he says as unless he's got proof it's pretty defamatory, not only towards Ford but the people who build them.
Mate, unless you have rewritten the laws of defamation in the last few days, you will find that anyone can say the baddest things of a companies products, practices etc, and the company cant do a damn thing about it, except put forward their side of the story. The guy who recently got people to smash up his jeep, because he said it was a lemon, jeep cant do a damn thing to him. The people on this website who bag car companies and their crap products etc, do it quite freely (and the site would crack down on it if was even close to defamatory), because nothing can come of it. Imagine how far back into the stone ages consumer law would go, if people werent able to complain about companys, if they knew the company had the financial might to take them to court over a bad comment. Thus I call bull**** on your bull**** call.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Exactly. This is a massive dig at the people assembling these cars. A lot of the guys/girls WANT to be at work - they build them with passion, and numerous quality checks. Any sort of sabotage would be quickly found and dealt with.

With the numbers of volunteers for redundancy at record lows, nobody would risk their job by deliberately sabotaging a step in the assembly process. Their peers would soon expose them (and they'd be next in line for VR if they're not sacked on the spot).
This ^^^
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post