Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Titanium - Petrol or Diesel ?

Hi Guys, I'm thinking of upgrading the XR4 to a Focus Titanium Auto Sedan ... just looking for some advice if possible please.

Iv'e never even driven a Diesel car let alone owned one but the extra torque does look appealing (on paper at least) .. does this translate to a better drive in reality though? ... is the Diesel really worth the extra $3,500 over the petrol model?

Also does anyone know if the Powershift Auto Gearbox is exactly the same model used in both the Petrol and Diesel models? ... I would have thought that perhaps the Diesel would have to use a different, or at least upgraded gearbox due to the extra torque?

Any info much appreciated guys .. I'm going to go and take a look tomorrow, would be nice to be armed with as much knowledge as possible ... don't want to get given a lot of mis-information by the Dealers.

robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Mollusc
Starter Motor

Default Re: Titanium - Petrol or Diesel ?

Loving my diesel Titanium. Great economy, plenty of go and whilst I've paid more I believe it will hold its value better when I finally get rid of it.
Mollusc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking over the European specs on Ford UK for the PowerShift Diesel, and comparing these to Ford AUS where we get a petrol PowerShift 2.0L, there’s no listing of what transmission model is fitted to either. The best advice anyone can give you, especially considering you’ve never driven one, is go for a drive.

I found the petrol quicker off the line, and liked the rev-happy feel of the engine; you have to give it some boot to get it really cracking. The diesel was more sedate off the line, however like most diesels, once going it’s a powerhouse. Overtaking is a breeze, and I really liked the PowerShift transmission mated to the diesel. There is some slight lag with the turbo-diesel, as to be expected, but overall it’s definitely the pick of the engines IMHO. The only reason I side with the petrol was the $3K difference in price and extra weight over the front wheels the diesel has.

But again, driving them back to back will be the best way to judge them. Regardless if there are transmission differences, the engines are vastly different, it just comes down to your preference and/or price range really. Keep in mind also we’ll have the Focus ST here by the end of the year, this however as I confirmed with Ford US yesterday on Facebook, will be 6-speed manual only, at this stage anyway!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Keep in mind also we’ll have the Focus ST here by the end of the year, this however as I confirmed with Ford US yesterday on Facebook, will be 6-speed manual only, at this stage anyway!
Yea, ST will be nice .. but getting the auto is really the main reason I'm looking at replacing of the XR4.

I have to drive to work and back in the City every day, about 37km each way, lots of traffic, been doing this for over 12 years now and Iv'e just completely had a gutful of having to change up and down through the gears constantly ... wears me down, feel worn out by the time I even get there!

Will have to take a trip to my local dealer tomorrow and take a look.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
wombat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollusc
Loving my diesel Titanium. Great economy, plenty of go and whilst I've paid more I believe it will hold its value better when I finally get rid of it.
Totally agree. It's not super fast off the line at the lights but it REALLY goes when overtaking and getting up hills. We are getting excellent fuel economy too. (5.5L/100km) Great car.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

After driving my Focus diesel I know I have made the right choice. If you do a lot of driving the economy soon overtakes the extra purchase price.

I can do extended freeway trips using the cruise control and just leave it in 6th almost the whole time.

I do a lot of freeway driving, and tow the odd boat or trailer so the diesel was a no brainer.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
mcouldrey

Dont forget to enquire the servicing costs of diesels. Diesel engines need a major service about 40'000 and its not cheap. I had a ranger and was blown away by the cost to maintain it.
mcouldrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
JayD

I have just asked the question regarding service costs...15k service intervals for fixed price cost of $330, and a major service at 60K for $900. Reasonable I thought!!?? (Based on a quote for a 2012 Titanium diesel at 37K on the road)
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
I have just asked the question regarding service costs...15k service intervals for fixed price cost of $330, and a major service at 60K for $900. Reasonable I thought!!?? (Based on a quote for a 2012 Titanium diesel at 37K on the road)
What has to be done at 60k to make the service $900 ?

I'm guessing there is a fair amount of work to keep a Diesel serviced correctly ? ... (in comparison to a Petrol model ?)
Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #10
mcouldrey

$900 for a service is ridiculous!
mcouldrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I actually think diesels need less servicing as they are all round a tougher engine. 60k service should not be $900, the only extra things I see needing to be done then might be brake fluid ($70 at Ultratune) and fuel filter ($90 at Ultratune) in addition to the regular service.

Also with my car I'm still on the original brake pads at 119,000km, I do a lot of freeway driving but the deceleration of the engine helps.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Replacing the diesel fuel filter requires bleeding the system which is not always easy if you do not have the right tools. I used a small hand pump and managed to do it after a few goes and fuel all over my hands.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post