Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wiper blade refills

Hi,

Anyone found an alternative to OEM Ford wiper blade refills? I replaced ours 4 weeks ago and its like they have gone hard or something. Very load and bounce all over the place. They were ok for about the first week.

Thanks.

XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

There's a thread on here that suggests you can get them from SuperCheap auto and they are a Bosch blade, which is the same as OEM, but cheaper.

That sentence is long. Sorry.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Dusty1,

I had trouble finding refills before I went to Ford and got some OEM Motorcraft ones. The problem I had with finding just the refills is that the driver side wiper on the Mondeo is very long, something like 28 inches and Repco and Supercheap only have 24 or 26 inch refills.

I did not replace the entire blade as the rubber refills are easy to remove and replace, but the OEM Motorcraft ones are rubbish. The ones that were on the car from new lasted 2 years and never made any noise.

I'll go to a bigger Supercheap and Repco this weekend see if I ca get the Bosch Aero Blades int he correct size.

Cheers
Old 13-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

not sure if yours takes anything fancy but if youv got the extra money invest in the TRIDON flexblades

best wiper blade setup iv ever had on any of my falcons
BigCav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
bovva66

I ended up getting some genuine blades from UK, as oem blades from Ford AU were $190, from uk was about $70 including postage.
Old 13-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is actually no need to change the whole blade as you can just remove and replace the rubber refill inside the blade. The problem I have that none of my local auto stores sold refills long enough to suit the drivers side wiper.

OEM refills are $17 from Ford for both, but not the best as I have discovered.

Will hunt around again this weekend.
Old 13-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Ford refills are rubbish. I've arranged to go back to my dealer to have the blade replaced, but hate to think what they will charge for them. Could be an intersting discussion...
Old 13-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

I'm unsure if the Mondeo uses the same aero blade as the Focus, but Repco have their own branded aero blades that have a universal fitting. They are a little chunkier than oem but they weren't very expensive at all and so far they've been faultless.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Russ I run the Repco blades on my Falcon and they are great. Problem is they do not make them longh enough to replace the Mondeo driver side blade.
Old 14-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
The Ford refills are rubbish. I've arranged to go back to my dealer to have the blade replaced, but hate to think what they will charge for them. Could be an intersting discussion...
With what, I'm confused aren't they just going to put the same ones back on!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar

apstar
At the 40,000km service, they reckoned the rubbers were worn and fitted new refills. Ever since, the wipers have juddered and squeaked. I think they realise the refills are **** and will now replace the entire blade.
Old 15-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I went looking for refills today and no luck. Can not find anything locally in the auto stores.

No wonder no one buys these things. Can not even get a set of wiper refills for them unless they are OEM Ford cr@p. FFS!

Quote:

apstar
The OEM Motorcraft refills are absolute rubbish. Ours were ok for a week before they started squeaking and jumping all over the place. The ones that were on the car when it was new must have been something other then the rubbish that Ford spare parts sell to us here in Australia. So replacing the entire blade might fix the problem as I would imagine they source the blade and rubber insert from Europe.
Old 15-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
Well I went looking for refills today and no luck. Can not find anything locally in the auto stores.

No wonder no one buys these things. Can not even get a set of wiper refills for them unless they are OEM Ford cr@p. FFS!

The OEM Motorcraft refills are absolute rubbish. Ours were ok for a week before they started squeaking and jumping all over the place. The ones that were on the car when it was new must have been something other then the rubbish that Ford spare parts sell to us here in Australia. So replacing the entire blade might fix the problem as I would imagine they source the blade and rubber insert from Europe.
Oh ok but do you know the price of the blade & rubber from Ford!

apstar
Old 15-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Internet, global economy, credit cards/ Paypal, and a good exchange rate at the moment........Buy foreign !! probably still cheaper to your door.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #15
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Here's some from the UK on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FRONT-WINDSCR...item3caeece43d

Don't know what they are like but that was the result of a quick ebay search, so they are out there.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 16-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Here's some Bosch aerotwin for sale in Aus: http://cars2.ebay.com.au/BOSCH-AEROT...mZ170496535699

Here's the link to the original thread (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ndscreen+wiper). I don't know how much has changed in 12+ months, but it does seem strange that they can no longer be sourced from auto stores.
Previous:
Old 16-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #17
bovva66

I bought from this ebay seller in uk. Got in a couple of weeks. You have to ask postage costs as he does not usually post outside UK. BUt is genuine oem ford europe. Local costs for same is around $190 from Ford AU.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-Ford-M...item33596671ef

Still not the cheapest way but at least they work ok. Hopefully they will last a couple of years.
Old 19-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought some of the new Repco wiper blades but none of the adapters fit the Mondeo. So will have another go at tracking down some Bosch Aerotwins. Should have bought some genuine Ford wiper blades when I was in the UK last month!
Old 21-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #19
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I now have a set of new Ford wiper blades on my car. Wow, what an improvement compared to the refills. The parst guy reckoned that the refills were OK a couple of years ago, but the latest ones are rubbish. I managed to get the Ford blades for NZ$112.50.

I also checked out the Tridon blades at Supercheap. They were $40 each so I decided to pay the extra for the Ford blades.
Old 18-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #20
Zippy7

Default Re: Wiper blade refills

So it rained slightly on the weekend, and it reminded me that I need to change the wiper blades.

Yes, I'm digging up this old thread, but it seems to be the best match. Was going to post on the weekend, but only got around to K-mart just now. My local K-mart has shrunk, and the range of blades is less that a shadow of the former. There were only 24" blades on offer, so no go for me.

Has anyone changed theirs recently, and where did you buy them from? Half tempted to buy from e-bay, but would prefer local if I can.

Also, for those who did change the blade only, how did you get the end of the blade assembly off? Wiggling gently doesn't do it, and I am afraid of breaking it. Doesn't appear to be any clip to undo either.

Cheers.
Old 19-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #21
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I was quoted $170 or so from Ford, so I left mine on. Interested to see how you go.
Previous:
Old 19-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #22
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must admit wipers blades has caused me grief from the very first car I ever had when I try to replace blades they always seem to come off when it starts to rain here is a video for Bosch Aero blades and where to get them from in UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE1ITsXohnM
apstar

Last edited by apstar; 19-04-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 19-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #23
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

Just to give you an update on the wipers. Last year I tried two different sets of OEM Ford Motorcraft replacement inserts and both went hard after a few days use. I looked everywhere and could not find a different wiper insert that was long enough because the drives side blade is 26" long.

I have been quoted between $107 and $130 for a new set of front blade replacements, not just the inserts but the actual Aero blade too. But because I have no confidence that the Ford replacements will be any good, I went and ordered some genuine Bosch replacements from the UK.

Here is the link to the ones I bough and they were about $49 including postage. I ordered them on Monday so do not expect to see them until after the long weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOSCH-AERO-FL...#ht_1154wt_905
Old 19-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks why are they so complex to replace! strange they don't have the rear

apstar
Old 19-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a set of blades last year in NZ for $100 after negotiating a discount with the parts guy.

Just order them from the UK. Anyone want to start a business reselling them on eBay?
Old 19-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #26
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:

Here is the link to the ones I bough and they were about $49 including postage. I ordered them on Monday so do not expect to see them until after the long weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BOSCH-AERO-FL...#ht_1154wt_905

Thanks for the link, just ordered a set for mine.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks why are they so complex to replace! strange they don't have the rear

apstar
asper, I have a sedan so did not order a rear wiper. But when I was searching on ebay I did find another seller from the UK that was selling the rear wiper on its own.

Or you can message the seller that I bought from and see if they can sell you the rear at the same time. They were very fast to get back to me and posted the item the same day.

Cheers
Old 19-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
Zippy7

I tried to ring my local AutoOne to see if they stocked the correct size, but alas, it was going directly to the fax machine. Given this happened last time, and I went there to be met by a grumpy fella, I've decided that they don't want my business and don't deserve my support.

I rang SuperCheap, and although I had to wait a while on hold, the guys checked the shelf and told me they have the Tridon assembly in stock. Normally $35 each, but they are on special at 2 for $50. I might go for a drive tomorrow if I feel better - got the flu, and SuperCheap are about 30mins drive away.
Old 19-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #29
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
asper, I have a sedan so did not order a rear wiper. But when I was searching on ebay I did find another seller from the UK that was selling the rear wiper on its own.

Or you can message the seller that I bought from and see if they can sell you the rear at the same time. They were very fast to get back to me and posted the item the same day.

Cheers
Thanks please let us know how the fitting goes once you get them

apstar
Old 19-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #30
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

replaced mine of both cars not long ago with ones from repco. I think they were actually Repco brand and are a silicone type blade. Best I've had, so we'll see how long they last.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post