Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
machope
Starter Motor

Question Rear brakes

Hi i am new to this site.
I have a 2008 ford focus, i had my regular mechanic put rear brake pads they have not worked out well, as they were making the car make rattling sound, returned the car to my mechanic, ford, another mechanic no one could work out what the noise was, back to ford who suggest new brake pads.
Can anyone tell me is there a brand i can buy from anywhere else other than ford, and if so where, I live out west of Sydney.

Thanks

machope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Did they have anti-rattle shims in there to start with? If so, and they didn't put them back, it'll rattle no matter what brake pads are used

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
machope
Starter Motor

I have no idea, and ford didnt even mention anti rattle shims, how would i know? I have a boy who is pretty good with cars so i can get him to have a look for me, do you know if there is a book i could buy that will tell me things like this... as ford told me i need new rear brake pads and they would cost about $500 which i just dont have that money right now.
Thanks for your suggestion Anne
Old 04-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
DragonMesh

brakes rattling doesnt sound so good, are the metal clips in place? I dont see how the mechanics could have missed this but from the info we have its an idea lol.
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
casabonka
You can call me Chris

500 for pads is excessive, might be new rotors. have they been changed yet? how many kms on the car?
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
machope
Starter Motor

the first time i took it back to ford they said it was the callipers so they tightened them, that only lasted 2 weeks, we went to a local mechanic who put some type of "grease" or fluid (they said they packed it with this stuff) which stopped it for about 2 weeks again, but its back again even worse. so far this has cost me $300 which is why i dont really want to spend another $500 to get the brake pads again, ford quoted me about $300 for the pads and the rest in labor charges, but i am worried that this wont fix the problem either. the car has about just over 66 thousand k's.
Thanks again Anne
Old 04-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I had this problem when I had my new rear brakes installed. I could hear a loud knocking coming from the right rear. The monkeys who installed them said that the pad was coming loose in the caliper, and that there was nothing they could do about it. Not only was I concerned about safety, but the rattling was driving me nuts, so I took it down to ABS (Auto Brakes & Service) who really looked after me - they inspected the caliper and pad, must have made some adjustments and fixed the knocking, free of charge. Great service.

$500 just for rear pads is a rip off. Do not pay this, whatever you do. My partner just had her front pads AND rotors replaced for just over $200 at her mechanic (non-genuine parts).
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Brotherontherun
Starter Motor

Guys,

I went through the same problem, got quoted $1,000 from Ford to replace rotors/pads all round. Stuff that rang around,went to brakes plus who quoted $867 still awaiting a final quote (it's been 4 weeks and counting) so then I called up Race Brakes who quoted $700 for dba slotted & TRW pad (can't remember the pad's actual name) all around. Took it down to them only to find out that only the front's were shagged and I still had about 15K left on the rears... In the process saving $200... Happily recommend them.

Anyway, I was shuffed with the experience and told a friend who had a CL who had responded that he'd paid $2,000 to replace the brakes/rotors through a certain ford dealer in the city... My face was drained of colour after he told me. I never brought it up since.
Brotherontherun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cost me $200 to get the pads replaced by my Ford dealer, which I thought was a rip off as they didn't even skim the rotors! And then they said I'll probably need new rotors at the next service. Don't think I'll be getting any more brake work done there...
Old 31-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #10
bseos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Cost me $200 to get the pads replaced by my Ford dealer, which I thought was a rip off as they didn't even skim the rotors! And then they said I'll probably need new rotors at the next service. Don't think I'll be getting any more brake work done there...
Ford just feed you ********. I was told i needed to replace all my brake pads and rotors for the next service, quoted me $1,200.

It's a 2007 year car, and they wanted me to replace the rotors?!

So instead i brought brake pads from them, genuine Ford Rear for $206 and Front Motorcraft, non genuine, but ford recommended for $88.
Took the car to mate, a local mechanic, got the rotors machined, as they were at 10mm, Double the minimum requirement! and pads installed.
Gave him 50 bucks for his help, and saved my self over $900.
bseos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

We have done a few of the Ford Focus's and also the XR5 Turbo's from forum members lately and unless your Focus is some exclusive model i haven't heard of then we can supply rear pads for a 08 Focus from $65 upwards.
We seem to be supplying alot more std pads and rotors for customers everyday cars these days as word gets out that we can do this and not just the performance brake parts we are known for on the forum.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post