Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
cm29579

Default AUII XR6 Harmonic Balancer

I have had a problem since I bought my car, of a slight grumbling/slight virbration noise when the car goes through the early gear progression, at random times. Usually between 1000-2500 rpm off the mark.

Is this is likely to be the harmonic balancer? My best guess is it comes just off to the passenger side of the engine (the noise that is....I have no idea where the harmonic balancer is located).

If it is this, can someone tell me whether that part can actually be inspected first, to see if its faulty, and an approximate fix cost. I saw a new AU one on ebay for $99, and Id assume 30-60 mins labour.

cm29579 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Moved here for greater coverage.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
EvilChief
Boost Addict

harmonic balancer front of engine ...

ur description is a little cryptic in terms of symptoms. harmonic balancers generally if completely screwed a really loud clunking noise, however wearing balancers increase vibration as rpm increases.

if its c lunking noise, particularly during gear changes id start looking at engine mounts
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 01:37 AM   #4
cm29579

Its a light vibration that's only audible, cant feel it, its gone once speed is over 30km/h, and it also happens when idling at times. It only happens in gear, you can put it in park and rev it all you want and get no noise. Noise has been there for 9 months I've owned it, only lately has become more often, and when idling.
Old 17-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I actually understand what you mean, and it wasnt fixed with a replacement harmonic balance unfortunatly... Mine has been there since i've owned the vehicle... so i'm stumped aswell...
Old 17-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what happens if you load it up in gear? ie, hold the brake on and rev the engine. any better or worse with the aircon on?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm29579
I have had a problem since I bought my car, of a slight grumbling/slight virbration noise when the car goes through the early gear progression, at random times. Usually between 1000-2500 rpm off the mark.

Is this is likely to be the harmonic balancer? My best guess is it comes just off to the passenger side of the engine (the noise that is....I have no idea where the harmonic balancer is located).

If it is this, can someone tell me whether that part can actually be inspected first, to see if its faulty, and an approximate fix cost. I saw a new AU one on ebay for $99, and Id assume 30-60 mins labour.
Clip your timing light on and watch the marks when you rev it up a little and down again , if it's almost ready to die the timing will fluctuate all over .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
cm29579

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
what happens if you load it up in gear? ie, hold the brake on and rev the engine. any better or worse with the aircon on?

Yeah, it does still rattle/grumble/vibrate when in Drive, foot on brake, and applying some throttle. It doesnt need to be in motion to make the noise, hence it happening when at traffic lights.
Old 19-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm29579
Yeah, it does still rattle/grumble/vibrate when in Drive, foot on brake, and applying some throttle. It doesnt need to be in motion to make the noise, hence it happening when at traffic lights.
Might sound like a silly question here... but does it kinda make a sound like an old diesel Landcruiser?
Old 20-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
cm29579

Nah, nowhere near that loud. If the stereo is on even moderately, it can't be heard. Its probably about 1/5 the loudness of when a cat has broken up and the pieces inside are rattling around.