Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default JEEP Working to Improve Customer Satisfaction,,,

"Jeep says it’s working to address its growing customer dissatisfaction in Australia as the number of product recalls reached its highest on record last year.

In 2014 Jeep issued 14 recalls on its vehicles, 11 of which were on the popular Grand Cherokee (six affected the 2014 model), all part of 16 recalls in total for the Fiat Chrysler group.

The global CEO and president of Jeep, Mike Manly, said work has already started on improving customers’ after-sales satisfaction.

“We have taken a number of steps to address the things that are addressable.” Manly told the Australian media in Detroit today. “In terms of not just quality of our vehicles, but also in the way we handle our customers, you’ve seen some of those changes in Australia”.

Jeep’s growth potential in Australia hinges not just on attracting new customers but also maintaining existing ones, a task that industry data on consideration to repurchase for existing customers suggests may be a challenge.

Nonetheless, the sharply priced and feature-rich Jeep Grand Cherokee was a big hit last year, taking the title of the best selling large SUV in Australia for 2014 with 16,582 sales.

Manly is keen to point out that that the problems are not necessarily just with the vehicles, but also in how the fixes were being addressed.

“I think our job is to try to produce the best quality vehicles we can but when there’s an issue to make sure we try to deal with that situation in the best way we possibly can.”

“I am not into categorising faults.” Manly said when asked if it was the Jeep dealers that had let some customers down. “We have a lot of communication with our customers as well, through our call centres, through regular communication with them. I am not into allocating who’s fault or who’s blame it is”.

This year will see Jeep launch the highly anticipated Renegade SUV, with a minor update coming for the Grand Cherokee in 2016 before an all-new model arrives in 2017."

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/329995/j...EObdoVjMim3.99
Old 20-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
Ringo
I see you....

Default Re: JEEP Working to Improve Customer Satisfaction,,,

I have a colleague who had to take back his $65k Cherokee the week after delivery to have some minor things fixed.

Bonnet to aligned
Vehicle pulling to the left
Trim piece not right (grab handle or something)

....I thought that is what a pre delivery inspection (that you pay for) was supposed to pick up and fix ??

That said this blokes loves his Cherokee with a capital L.

Good marketing of an average quality American car.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno, I read all these "horror" stories and I just don't know. My dad loves both his Grand Cherokees, one's got the Mercedes diesel, the other has the VM Motori. I would happily buy one over a Bland Cruiser.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
cycle myth

I'd like to like a Grand Cherokee, even closely considered going to a Dealer to look.

BUT the high defect rate, amount of recalls and combined with poor parts support and service mean - no way.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Anyone else notice the high amount of Grand Cherokee's with one headlamp blown?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I have 2 mates with SRT Grand Cherrokee Jeeps, one an ex V8 Landcruiser owner, the other ex ML350 Merc owner.
1st one had a rattle behind the dash and poor trim fit around gearshift, the 2nd developed an upchanging thud in the trans..
Both (one dealer in Syd and 2nd in Melb) couldn't speak highly enough of their treatment & prompt fix of their issues.. Courtesy car was offered to both (mate in Melb had a 300 SRT hemi as his)
Other mate reckoned he was treated a million times better by Jeep than in all his years of Merc ownership!
And they both still rave how good their SRTs are!
Jeep/ Chrysler must be doing something right?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Owch... All those recalls would have eroded any profit margin made at sale time, perhaps even put them in the red on each vehicle?

Imagine an owner having to open a letter every few weeks / months and thinking 'what, not again!'

I have heard that replacement parts can take months to arrive, but had no idea that they had so many recalls.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Marketing is very clever, they probably have the best strategy on TV.
All there adds tell a story and flow with each other, then add in competitive pricing.
Jeep parts pricing is very high.

Don't hold back the Robinson's didn't, its your turn to mow there lawn..

There vehicle reviews for the Jeep's are very ordinary, under $35k SUV from 12 vehicles tested Jeep had 2 entries they came a distant last and 2nd last.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 21-01-2015 at 02:14 AM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #9
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Owch... All those recalls would have eroded any profit margin made at sale time, perhaps even put them in the red on each vehicle?

Imagine an owner having to open a letter every few weeks / months and thinking 'what, not again!'

I have heard that replacement parts can take months to arrive, but had no idea that they had so many recalls.
How many recalls do you think they have had? You will find the Holden Cruz was on top of the recall list in 2014 and it doesn't even get a mention.
I have a MY2014 JGC and only have received 1 recall notice in the 15mths I have had it, which was for the indication for a blown lamp might not indicate on the instrument cluster. The fix was a software flash. There have been a number of software updates for the Uconnect(radio, climate control, gps etc)

Warren
Old 21-01-2015, 02:38 AM   #10
PALE ALE

Just...Empty...Every...Pocket
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 03:25 AM   #11
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I'm seeing Jeeps everywhere these days. The Grand Cherokee is proving very popular.
Recalls aren't necessarily always viewed as bad things... They can show that an issue is being proactively addressed and fixed.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #12
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Ive heard it's $2-3k for a headlamp assembly, $1,8k for a mirror housing...these are what panel shops have to pay.
Old 21-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
How many recalls do you think they have had? You will find the Holden Cruz was on top of the recall list in 2014 and it doesn't even get a mention.
I have a MY2014 JGC and only have received 1 recall notice in the 15mths I have had it, which was for the indication for a blown lamp might not indicate on the instrument cluster. The fix was a software flash. There have been a number of software updates for the Uconnect(radio, climate control, gps etc)

Warren
Well, going by the quoted text... Quite a few!

Quote:
In 2014 Jeep issued 14 recalls on its vehicles, 11 of which were on the popular Grand Cherokee (six affected the 2014 model), all part of 16 recalls in total for the Fiat Chrysler group.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
If they are indicating the driving lights switch off on that side. This is what you are seeing as I thought the same thing at first. We just bought a grand cherokee and so far it has been fine. As for customer service can't be any worse than ford.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
Ive heard it's $2-3k for a headlamp assembly, $1,8k for a mirror housing...these are what panel shops have to pay.
Most likely not and its just the price they charge back to the insurance companies.

But then again these are not just simple headlamps and wing mirrors. when it comes to the SRT8 & Overland models
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #16
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

No complaints here with my Jeep. It's had a few recalls (all bar one I didn't know about), but they were dealt with when being serviced and always been provided a loaner without issue.

Have had no more issues with this car, than any previously owned and the dealer service has been a step above any dealer I've dealt with.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #17
Matty4
Banana

Yep....still loving mine too.
I've had 3 recalls done in 2.5 years of ownership, and they were nothing to really worry about. I have tried 3 different dealers for it's 4 services so far and my last service dealer I will stick with at this stage as they gave me a loaner and will also run me home or to the nearest shopping centre and pick me up again when it's ready.
Old 21-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSVPom View Post
Grand Jeep Cherokee 1 single alloy rim $4k retail, I spoke to an insurance assessor who had to approve one that was in accident.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Grand Jeep Cherokee 1 single alloy rim $4k retail, I spoke to an insurance assessor who had to approve one that was in accident.
They are pretty awesome wheels though! ;)

SRT8 must have cheaper wheels than stock GC Jeeps, as you can purchase a set of 4 OEM SRT wheels for the Jeep cheaper than that.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

less than $2500 for a set of 20" SRT8 spider monkeys on Ebay.

a panel beater will show the highest quote for a part and then source it cheaper
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #21
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs View Post
If they are indicating the driving lights switch off on that side. This is what you are seeing as I thought the same thing at first. We just bought a grand cherokee and so far it has been fine. As for customer service can't be any worse than ford.
Yeah, I have seen that on the face lifted versions with the LED headlamps.
Its the pre-face lifted ones with the regular headlamps that I keep seing with one blown globe. Not a good look.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
I'm seeing Jeeps everywhere these days. The Grand Cherokee is proving very popular.
Recalls aren't necessarily always viewed as bad things... They can show that an issue is being proactively addressed and fixed.
Yeah but lots of cars on the road doesn't mean it is a premium product, and don't get me wrong im not saying it is or it isn't, but looking at ads on the box they do seem to sell cheap , and im pretty sure in most peoples minds the bottom line is how much paper stuff they have to part with when deciding what limo to buy.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #23
Hawkeye84

Theres a joke flying around in the auto industry at the moment

"I bought a Jeep.................once"
"I bought a Jeep.................and never again"
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #24
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Most likely not and its just the price they charge back to the insurance companies.

But then again these are not just simple headlamps and wing mirrors. when it comes to the SRT8 & Overland models

Heard this from a central buyer for a large Melbourne based group of smash repair shops. But yes, he could have been adding a little mayo to the story.
Old 21-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post

Warren
Apart from that, what has your ownership experience with the JEEP and dealer been like?

Genuine question, I'm interested to hear.
Old 21-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

You may bash Jeeps, but they are doing one thing well, and that's sell lots of car, Cherokees are everywhere on the road
Old 21-01-2015, 09:58 PM   #27
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mirrors are generally expensive when they are heated, self tinting, electric folding, and have blind spot monitoring. A lot more expensive than a Falcon. But then a Falcon has none of those features.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #28
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Many cars with DRL's have the light dim or turn off when that indicator is switched on.
On one of the TV ad's for the Compass it sort of shows it happen.

I rang my local Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge place in December 2013 to ask a question about the price of a part for my Chrysler. They said they would ring me right back with the price. As of today I still haven't received that call.
I toyed with the idea of a Grand because I have always loved them, even the ZG as a kid, but due to multiple reasons I avoided it.
Plus having a ute is more practical for my needs anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #29
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

I've got an early my14 Grand Cherokee limited (built in mid 13), the car itself has been great. The service at my local dealer is well below par though (first service it came back with a filthy air cleaner element, I'm fighting them to replace a driveshaft boot under warranty), and the servicing cost is astronomical . unfortunately in the country the next dealer is a bit further than the next suburb, so changing is going to be a pita.

As for the gc being cheap, I see more limiteds, srts and overlands on the road than Laredos. A limited with a diesel runs to almost $70k with no options, $80k for the overland and $90ish for an srt.
If that's cheap I need a better job.
Old 22-01-2015, 12:17 AM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Mirrors are generally expensive when they are heated, self tinting, electric folding, and have blind spot monitoring. A lot more expensive than a Falcon. But then a Falcon has none of those features.
Even my Hyundai i20 has electric folding mirrors!!!!!!! A girl I work with has a Compass..40k service was $1400..