Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-08-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking I just went for a ride in a Dodge Viper

Yup, a very rich man I recently met just took me for a spin in his 2004 Dodge Viper R/T! Man, what an awesome car. Sorry, don't have any photos but he told me I'd have plenty of time to photograph the car in the coming weeks.

When we hit the highway and he nailed the throttle, holy crap, words cannot describe it. I'm sure most of you have been in really, really fast cars so you'll know the feeling. Before this, the quickest car I'd been in was a WRX STi, so this was pretty damn amazing to me. After ripping through three gears at full throttle I must have looked like a total idiot, all I could say was, "holy s@#$! f#@%ing hell!" Then he said, "We're doing 180 now." Man, what an awesome experience.

The guy who owns the car also owns an EL GT (one of 20 in NZ, he used to own two of them) and a Jeep that he has a 4.7l Chrysler V8 coming over from the states for. I'll have to nag him for a ride in the EL GT soon!! Although somehow I think it will feel slow after the Viper.

So what super-quick cars have you guys driven or ridden in?

Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Yup, a very rich man I recently met just took me for a spin in his 2004 Dodge Viper R/T! Man, what an awesome car. Sorry, don't have any photos but he told me I'd have plenty of time to photograph the car in the coming weeks.

When we hit the highway and he nailed the throttle, holy crap, words cannot describe it. I'm sure most of you have been in really, really fast cars so you'll know the feeling. Before this, the quickest car I'd been in was a WRX STi, so this was pretty damn amazing to me. After ripping through three gears at full throttle I must have looked like a total idiot, all I could say was, "holy s@#$! f#@%ing hell!" Then he said, "We're doing 180 now." Man, what an awesome experience.

The guy who owns the car also owns an EL GT (one of 20 in NZ, he used to own two of them) and a Jeep that he has a 4.7l Chrysler V8 coming over from the states for. I'll have to nag him for a ride in the EL GT soon!! Although somehow I think it will feel slow after the Viper.

So what super-quick cars have you guys driven or ridden in?
Must have been fun. Going for a ride in a fast car for the first time always is.

I've been in a few. The car that got me into performance cars in the first place.. my uncle's old 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25t. That thing was a beast, capable of low 11's. The first time I got driven around in that, it changed my point of view of what a fast car was... and the whole time I was similar from ear to ear and I wasn't even driving it!

Then he replaced that car with a Porsche 911 Turbo. A 930 3.3 (1978). He made the exterior and interior look like a 993 (1995), and got a 3.3 turbo engine from a 964 (1992) and worked that. He also worked the suspension nicely. Boy that thing was fast. It left the R33 for dead. Was an awesome car.

And finally, slowest of the trio of cars he's owned that I love, but anyway, the Ferrari F355 Berlinetta. I've never been in a car with so much top end. It comes to life at 6000rpm... most cars run out of breath at this point.

My motivation to own/make a very fast car comes from this trio, but it was started by the R33. Funny how I managed to morph into a Ford fan.. heh.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Havent been in anything exotic like that. Id say the fastest car ive been in was a 300ZX TT and i had the same feeling. Fastest car ive driven is my car. Nothing exciting.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
aimzes
...fairly odd

that is so cool. you lucky pr*ck.

awesome.

ive been in a V8 supercar. my car felt like a handicaped slug on the way home. still id really like to go in a viper... im feeling kinda jealous. lucky pr*ck.

heres proof... im the f**kwit in the white shirt (obviously).

Last edited by aimzes; 12-08-2005 at 05:59 PM.
aimzes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Here's some pics of the R33, 911 and F355. Sorry about the size, I don't have a digi-cam, so I've gotta scan normal pics. I've whited out the rego on the 911 because he still uses the same plate on the 355.

He took that 911 Turbo to a dealership and parked it next to a genuine 993, and the dealer couldn't tell them apart... until you looked in the engine bays, or heard them both turned on :

And that VY SS also has any legible bit of the rego whited out as it is his work car. Its pretty quick too (and loud, its stock aside from wheels, exhaust and lowered), but its got nothing on the other three.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

i hired one up in the sunshine coast awhile back

Damm nice ride
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
Kryton

You go to HELL - YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!! out:
ever since they were designed, ive always wanted a Viper.
ive only ever seen 1 in real life and doubt ill ever get to go in one either.
i know you said you dont have pics, but next time you could always take a vid cam with you!
enjoy it for everything its worth. you lucky bastard :
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #8
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Believe me, I feel like the luckiest bastard at the moment, it's certainly a ride I won't soon forget. On the off chance you're ever in Tauranga I'll make sure you get a ride davway If I get another ride I'll do my best to borrow my mates video camera. I had my MP3 player on me, I wish I had thought to get a sound clip of the engine revving it knackers off.

Damn you've been in some nice cars Steffo, especially the Porsche.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I'll be in NZ soon Mike...........

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 10:50 PM   #10
Decadentia

Certainly would be something to remember, I've a video off the net on my PC somewhere of a guy who owns a yellow viper taking another guy for a blat. supercharged and on the bottle and it goes and sounds like nothing else.

Most recent memorable ride for me was in an M3 'bout 2 weeks ago. Only had 10,000 on the clock and the guy wasn't afraid to give it a bit. Totally blew me away that it poured on the speed like it did, revved like a 2 stroke and was SO composed whilst doing it. Jeebus they make all the right sounds too.
Decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #11
Kryton

Quote:
On the off chance you're ever in Tauranga I'll make sure you get a ride davway
it will be a very off chance that i will ever be there but the offer is very generous.
thanks! :
*mental note to self: MUST GO TO TAURANGA*
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 AM   #12
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

chalk up one reason to go to tauranga...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:26 AM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Fastest car I've Been in was a worked 1993 911 Turbo of a friend of mines uncle. This thing would have been capable of 11's, It was just INSANE. We stopped at a set of lights in Kew and I asked him if it had much lag on take off. Rather than answer me, he nailed it. I was pushed into the seat like someone was crushing me (a feeling I've never ever felt before) and couldn't breathe or say anything apart from thinking F#$K ME!!! until he took his foot off the accelerator and I looked at the speedo which was already pointing at the drivers Mirror. Insane thing it was... just insane.

The fastest car i've driven was a Manual BA XR6 Turbo Ute with a APS stage 4 kit on it. Very scary, stupidly torquey. Pushed me into the seat just like the Porky did. Grea little fang round Warrandytes windy roads.... Now hes got an upgraded clutch and 6 speed manual, and he wants me to try it again!!! Cant wait :
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #14
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

I have been for a good squirt in a Ferrari 355 F1 Spider (passenger), power and acceleration was very linear, not the shove in the back i was expecting. It was only when i looked accross and the speedo that i relized what speed we were travelling at how sedate it felt. Only other impressive aspect was the brakes and the speed they wash off when stood on. Overall the expereince was great but i expected more of a rush when the throttle was nailed.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2005, 11:26 AM   #15
Phillo62
Local Riff Raff

He he, fastest car i have been in is Kevs XR8 ute and ahead of that is my mates 6.2 litre VX SS, that thing has so much torque its not funny, that set my heart thumping.
Those are the only fast cars i have been in, hopfully i can ride in some more cars from this forum, because now fords are no. 1. Number one on that list is Robs XR6 T nearly 300 Kw at the wheels.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hard to say for me ... was a toss up between a heavily modified R32 Skyline GTR ... ummm ... 322km/h on the F3 heading north ... I was strapped in for the ride ... I thought my mate was going to give it a quick squirt ... except he decided for a high speed run.

The other car I will never forget is a 360 Modena I got the actually drive ... the guy owns a chain of PC stores and 2 cafes ... his wife had horses at our place for agistment ... so i saw it all the time ... damn that thing screamed.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #17
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

I've been around Mallala in a worked twin turbo Porsche 993.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #18
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I've driven an R/T 10. God they sound so freaking nice! It roars the moment you open the throttle up.

Also drove a TVR Cerbera, didn't sound as nice but bloody hell it got up and moved.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #19
aimzes
...fairly odd

man id give anything to have a go in a big AM DB9 or vanquish... anyone seen that top gear episode where jeremy races a train in it from somewhere in england to somewhere in france?

f**k i fell in love with the db9. driving down the freeway he says watch this, shifts down (paddle shift auto) the car blips the gas by itself then engages... ohhhhhhhhhh aimzes was impressed hehehehe

talk about a sweet sound.
Old 13-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #20
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Fastest car I have been in was a 25th Anniversary Lamborghini Countach...It was here for the Auto Italia Car show, and I entered a raffle to have a ride in it, and won
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well you guys beat the crap out of me the fastest cars I've driven...Jaguar MkII 3.8 m/od...Mustang Mach 1 now that thing moved..for its time...Jensen Interceptor Mk III..never made top speed but the rooster tail in the wet left the cops behind. All cars were driven between 130/160mph.

Oh and with the Jensen the bloke who owned it was having trouble with a sticking throttle one night so we went for a test drive and the throttle stuck on at 150mph...man the by the time we stopped it...riding brakes,down the gears and eventually when it was doing about 50mph turn the ignition off...the discs were almost white hot.
Anyway we found the problem a washer had been put in the linkage incorrectly,changed its position no more prob.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 01:05 AM   #22
MattyJ

That's awesome mate, well done.

I've been in ALOT of really nice cars due to all my uncles being loaded and knowing loaded people.

2000 Porsche Boxter
2001 Porsche Boxter
2002 Porsche Boxter
2003 Porsche Boxter
Lamborghini Diablo
Ferrari 360 Modena
Ferrari 360 Spyder
Ferrari 550 Maranello
Ferrari 575 Maranello
Mercedes SL55
Porsche GT3
Mercedes CLK 500
Mercedes SL60 (or something)
Nissan Skyline R34
A few more older ferraris and Porsches.

Too many to remember but there has been alot !
(I'll think of more later).

One of my uncles current cars, new Porsche GT3 + BMW X5 (wifes).

My other uncle has a Ferrari 360 Spyder - i'll get some photos later.

Cheers,

-Matty J
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #23
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

God damn those GT3s look awesome in black!
Old 14-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #24
MattyJ

Quote:
God damn those GT3s look awesome in black!
Looks great with my L plates in the back window (get alot of shocked looks)
:1syellow1
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #25
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

All I can say is you lucky bugger. My dad would be dead jealous of you. Well so am I of course.

My dad is turning 50 this year and we are trying to get hima ride in one of those or an ac cobra
angelwithinvisiblewings is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 01:54 AM   #26
XR666T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJ
Looks great with my L plates in the back window (get alot of shocked looks)
:1syellow1
OH-MY-F'ING-GOD! I hope you realise how lucky you are :sm_drool:
XR666T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #27
Hawk
I am The Brain!

/me goes to the corner and cries.

I would kill someone for a ride in a Viper. By far my favourite car of all time. Words cannot describe its beauty, or power. Sheer magnificence personified.

I actually saw one in Greensborough the other day, red RT/10. Unfortunately I was on the bus and it was gone as quickly as I saw it. :(

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post