Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default mate drove car .. wont owe up

You've probably get a lot of these threads!!!

my mate drove my car, myself, and him to a bar, he didn't drink, i got picked up by my girlfriend, i let him take my car back to his and I'll pick it up the following day. It seem's lil old mate went for a longer cruise then he told me and not just back home... by through a speed camera, it is $142 and 1 point.

I rang him, told him, he turns around and says... well do you want to pay it or do you want me to... I was thinking wtf, you got the fine not me!

on the back it says although I can put in details, if i don't put in a license number it may get rejected.

he just got done for careless driving the other night, so I can see how he will be reluctant to hand me his details, but that's his own problem.

what should I do now??? he has admitted it, he said he thought the road was 80km/h and not 70km/h

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
You've probably get a lot of these threads!!!

my mate drove my car, myself, and him to a bar, he didn't drink, i got picked up by my girlfriend, i let him take my car back to his and I'll pick it up the following day. It seem's lil old mate went for a longer cruise then he told me and not just back home... by through a speed camera, it is $142 and 1 point.

I rang him, told him, he turns around and says... well do you want to pay it or do you want me to... I was thinking wtf, you got the fine not me!

on the back it says although I can put in details, if i don't put in a license number it may get rejected.

he just got done for careless driving the other night, so I can see how he will be reluctant to hand me his details, but that's his own problem.

what should I do now??? he has admitted it, he said he thought the road was 80km/h and not 70km/h
Answered your own question
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

That's his bad luck. He got busted for doing the crime, he's going to have to do the time, so to speak. If he is a true mate he should'nt even think twice about admitting it and paying the fine and losing a point.

Always remember, choose your friends carefully.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

There is a line, he crossed it, BUT, he admitted to it and so therefor has to pay for it, if he is going to loose his ticket and you have a few points left then MAYBE you could wear the point, with a cash compensation and he pays the fine.

I used to miss behave and would pay $100 a point, but that was 15 years ago.

Talk to him about it, if he wont play the game tell him you will just nominate him on the stat dec on the back, after all you have witnesses!

The other thing is if he is that much of a mate that you trusted him with your wheels then he should wear it and apologise, or he is not a mate worth having any longer!

Good luck

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Answered your own question
thanks great input.

perhaps I should said that...

He got he fine in my car, now I have to cop it ... and its actually my problem.

well I was just told I can put his address/birthdate/name & last name ... and a reason why I couldn't get his license num. they will accept it.
Old 28-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Peer pressure is a great thing, invite him out to the same pub, this time you drive!

And just let us know which pub, a few brews and 25-50 Ford Forum members should have him filling out the stat dec in no time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
Old 28-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
toenail

at the risk of getting burned i have another take on this! he drove your car so you could have a few drinks and a bit of fun. he stayed sober. imo he should wear the points but you should pay the fine.i had a mate pick up an outdoor heater for me a few months back, couple of hundred worth, fell off the back of the ute cause #%&@head didnt tie it down.he offered to pay for it as it was a write off but no way in hell would i accept that cash, hes a mate and its a favor.just sucks he is also a @#$%
toenail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

he wasn't doing me a favour driving my car at all, I told him I am more then happy to pay a taxi and back from his place, I just don't like his driving... I don't know what came to me to even let him drive my car. (doesn't help him nagging the beejebus out of you all night to drive)

the deal was, he drive to the bar, and back... (he doesn't drink, just does other stuff) but the deal wasn't to the bar, cruise the city, cop a fine.. and then go back to his place
Old 28-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

I would hazard a guess and say they the majority of replies you will get in this thread will me the same: if he is a true friend he would have manned up paid the fine. If he argues the point or continues denial: then he is no true friend.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
toenail

Quote:
he wasn't doing me a favour driving my car at all, I told him I am more then happy to pay a taxi and back from his place, I just don't like his driving... I don't know what came to me to even let him drive my car. (doesn't help him nagging the beejebus out of you all night to drive)

the deal was, he drive to the bar, and back... (he doesn't drink, just does other stuff) but the deal wasn't to the bar, cruise the city, cop a fine.. and then go back to his place
he cruised the city, other stuff involved,alright his fault. your mate isnt tod mckenney by any chance?
toenail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail
at the risk of getting burned i have another take on this! he drove your car so you could have a few drinks and a bit of fun. he stayed sober. imo he should wear the points but you should pay the fine.i had a mate pick up an outdoor heater for me a few months back, couple of hundred worth, fell off the back of the ute cause #%&@head didnt tie it down.he offered to pay for it as it was a write off but no way in hell would i accept that cash, hes a mate and its a favor.just sucks he is also a @#$%
I attended the wedding of a co-worker last weekend - other workmates went. My boss suggested we take his car (Landcruiser) and I drive instead of using my car (Falcon). I drove the 5 of us in his car to and from the reception and kept it on or under the limit. If I went past a speed camera and got booked, I'd expect my boss to raise the issue with me and I'd fill out the form and cop the points and fine, because I was driving his car - I was speeding and therefore I was responsible. Whether I was doing them a favour or not is irrelevant as to who should pay the fine. I had permission to drive the car, but not to break the law by speeding.

Anyway to the OP, you have a witness who will support your story that the car was in his possession that night and he was driving.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #12
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

If he is your mate and you can cop the 1 point, just do it. Have him pay the fine and you take the point, it's not worth getting into a scquabble with a friend over 1 point.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
ED Ford Falcon

I haven't read the responses but i would get him smashed one night so you can get his wallet and therefore his licence number!

DO IT
ED Ford Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #14
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail

Not that we support drink driving in any way shape or form

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
Mulberry Laine

your mate is obviously a w@*ker.Grab him by the throat punch the snot outta him,that should teach him a lesson.Also take his car untill he pays the fine,or even better sell it for $142.00 to pay the fine.
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine
your mate is obviously a w@*ker.Grab him by the throat punch the snot outta him,that should teach him a lesson.Also take his car untill he pays the fine,or even better sell it for $142.00 to pay the fine.
I'll buy it! haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if he has a whinge and wont cop it,
wait a few weeks then ask him if u can borrow his car for some dodgy reason and go through the camera flat out.

just have an alibi that u were at work or similar
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
boss-290

Well if you want to continue to be mates with him.

Make him pay the fine, and you cop the point.... simple.

That way, he wont lose his licence, and you make him pay for the infringment.

Unless you can't spare the point either?
Old 28-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #19
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine
Funny thing is, if my mate done that, he'd understand me punching him in the face and making him pay the fine, then we'd get over it and continue being mates...

If you really think you might lose a friendship over this, work something out, IMO cop the point and make him pay the fine, or pay the fine and make him cop the point...

However any real mate would fess up and take the punishment.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #20
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
Well if you want to continue to be mates with him.

Make him pay the fine, and you cop the point.... simple.

That way, he wont lose his licence, and you make him pay for the infringment.

Unless you can't spare the point either?
agree 100%

if you are mates.... you should help EACHOTHER.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #21
Mulberry Laine

[QUOTE=bloggs24]Funny thing is, if my mate done that, he'd understand me punching him in the face and making him pay the fine, then we'd get over it and continue being mates...

Thats Exactly right,mine would too.Then again they would pay up,and still have the punch on for fun. :
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

the thing is, he will not have a licence in a couple of months, he is already on the 12 month probation point thing... now he has to go to court on a different driving matter. it will affect me not him :(
Old 28-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #23
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

AS STATED,
There is a line, he crossed it, BUT, he admitted to it and so therefor has to pay for it, if he is going to loose his ticket and you have a few points left then MAYBE you could wear the point, with a cash compensation and he pays the fine.
OR, MAYBE ONE OF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO WILL SIGN FOR THE TICKET AND TAKE THE POINT IN LOU OF CASH$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
Old 28-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #24
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

Quote:
(he doesn't drink, just does other stuff)
you let someone that takes drugs drive your car well you deserve what you get mate
Old 30-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGODRIVEN
you let someone that takes drugs drive your car well you deserve what you get mate
what, because he doesn't drink alcohol... he deserves the death penalty for drinking soft drink... argh!!!

anyhow, i sent the letter off, hopefully civic compliance will sort it out.
Old 30-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
anyhow, i sent the letter off, hopefully civic compliance will sort it out.
it seems with this post that you have sent his details in anyway - but it could depend on what kind of mate he is

i have friends that have done so much for me that i could never pay them back on normal favours alone. for one point (providing i had some in reserve, normally do though), i might take it to save them from losing their license. they would probably help out if that point was critical to me in the future too

i do not know your situation and in all honesty have not read all of the thread, but maybe you can help him out, maybe you should not.

i suppose for anyone else reading this, that is a reason you do not lend or let someone else drive your car unless it is absolutely necessary. speed cameras are not impossible to get stung by and some attract them very easily. also if the car stops on them. do you believe they were not caning it and blame it on normal wear and tear - or do you blame them. like lending money you cannot afford to lose, lending cars can be a big detriment to any friendship
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 12:07 PM   #27
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

Why dont you cop the point and he can pay the fine.
Old 30-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he is no mate a true mate would have no problems copping the penalty that he deserves .

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #29
351buzz

he's losing his licence in a couple of months anyway? why would you cop the point. It aint gonna matter to him.
he pays fine, he cops point, end of, or he gets flogged.
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #30
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

i don't know about you but with me and my mates.. we have a bit of respect and if i stuffed up i'd hear it and pay for it too.. same goes for my mates..
if this guy has the nerve to fart **** you around then can he really be your mate???
i bet he'd try to screw your girl if he had a chance and deny it too..(not meaning anything offensive..just an example)
i think it just hurts you that he's supposed to be a mate and he's actually being a knob??
stand your ground my friend..(notice how i didn't write mate?lol) and just be cautious with him.. if it happens once it can happen again.. (not the speeding..just the dog act)
just remember something that my dad told me from a young age..
''never lend out your wheels or your miss's.. they'll come back f. .. ckd...''
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post