Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
vverewolf
Starter Motor

Default Tire Pressure, LS LX Focus

Hey Guys! I recently got new tires all round on my LS on the stock 205/55 R16 rims. I thought they were a bit hard and checked them cool the next morning at 40 PSI. I read the tire place back and they reckon for that size tire you really want 38-40 PSI for tire life, and 36 PSI would be the lowest you run. The manual for the car says from 30-36, (light - heavy load). I used to run 32 or so all round.

What does everything else run? Is 40 too high?

cheers
wwolf

vverewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
elgreko

Hi 40 psi is fine, my tyre bloke puts nitrogen in my tyres and puts noth[CODE]ing less than 40psi. I used to run less and the inner and outer edges srubbed out!!!
Old 17-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Tire pressures can only be decided by you and your driving style.

Question time. Did you take any notice to how your previous set of tyres wore? Did you check the pressures reguarly?

If so, if the edges wore more that the centre of the tyre, that means your tyre pressures were too low for you. If it was the centre of the tyre, the pressures were too high. If the tyre wore fairly evenly over the face of the tyre, the pressure you had will be fine.

Manufacturers pressures and other peoples pressures don't mean a great deal. The only sure fire way to know what's suitable is to read the tyre's wear pattern. Otherwise it could turn sour for you

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
vverewolf
Starter Motor

What size tire are you running elgreko?

SVO, I used to run 32 in the front and 34 in the rear (checked and adjusted every few weeks), and the reason that I had to replace them was due to inner wear on all four tires, but more noticeable at the front. The tire guys suggested an alignment issue (the rears were on the front earlier on), but after hearing their recommendation of much higher pressure, I'm starting to wonder whether part of the problem was tire pressure.

I also had a small amount of vibration at highway speeds on some road surfaces with the stock tire from new. Had the wheels balanced under warranty which fixed most the vibration and I thought the small amount that remained that I could only feel now and then was just they way a focus was. With the new tires and alignment front and rear, it is the smoothest it has ever been, so possibly my alignment has always been a smidgen out.

Soooo I'm not sure whether alignment or tire pressure is the cause of my inner tire wear, but they both would have helped.

Still keen to hear what pressure everyone runs in their LS LX on the stock rims?
vverewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If it's only inner edge wear, stick with the pressures you previously ran.

The inner edge wear would be caused from an alignment issue. Nothing more.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post